Bear safety in RTT's and soft sided campers/tents

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Just thinking about the fact that bears have a sence of smell that is approximatly 5,029,283,828,347,842,748,348,632,842,394 times better then a humans, I think pepper spray is a good idea ! I was woken up from a dead sleep in my RTT by an elk once literally breathing on the tent. Scared the &*% out of me.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
"Many hikers use "bear bells" to jingle as they walk, but I never bought into that as a real precaution."

That would explain all the tiny bells in the bear poop!

DcNexus

while reading through all the posts I imagined myself lying in my RTT and
awakening by bears surrounding the camp....
Comforting idea not beeing able to see the bear but using my big bottle of bear spray....
could as well jump out and scare the bear off myself - probably hurts the same way
same with using a shotgun in the tent....or am i just beeing sceptical?????

not that I would not have a big bottle of bear repellent/knife in the RTT (unfort. no guns in Europe ;()

austintaco

Explorer
Kristian,

Did some research years ago on how big African cats deal with RTTs and tents in general. I found out that a fabric wall can be effective with cats because they see it like a brick wall. As long as they don't see you or a way in, you are safe. Bears on the other hand think different. I helped a photographer set up for an extended trip in Denali, he had a backcountry permit. The rangers asked him to put his RTT on the top of his truck rather than his trailer to deter bears. He was was pretty familiar with bears, especially polar bears. The young males he was telling me could be very aggressive. He would spend the night awake with a shotgun watching for them and wouldn't let them get close. The sound and the fury of the gun would scare them.

We had a client many years ago who was very afraid of bears. The solution we came up with was noise and light. We mounted driving lights on the front and rear of the RTT and set up a wireless controller. If you hit button "A" it would turn on the front driving lights, button "B" would light the perimeters, "C" would set off all vehicle lights and "D" was panic where everything including the horns would go off. I have no idea how well it worked but it did give him some peace of mind.

One thought we had for the Maggiolina was to make a hard wall accessory. We would make fiberglass panels similar to those funky old plastic expandable camping cups, where the panels nest and you could raise them. The weight was the main concern. The Maggiolina at the time used a different heavier fiberglass and with the added panels would add a lot more weight. The thought was that driving around with the heavy tent would be more dangerous that the bears it would deter. It might be possible with the lighter carbon fiber and glass they use on the new ones.

Wouldn't this be similar to setting off the panic feature on most car alarms? Does noise and light scare off some bears? I am curious to hear some more first hand stories.

Ala5ka

VX'er
I use a SW500 in Ak while I'm fishing. I'd assume it'd work in a RTT as well, or Jurassic Park if need be :)

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
The old guides in grizzly country say you should file the front sight off of your pistol so it doesn't hurt as much when the bear shoves the gun up your ***...

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Worked a summer in Alaska for an electrical contractor. We were sent to haul the garbage to the dump. The 12ga was loaded with Buckshot , cut and tied together with fishline. Every other round was a slug. Each carried a shotgun and a .45 revolver. I asked how we were supposed to unload the garbage with all that and was told ..."quickly".
Never did see a bear at the dump.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
We did a Labrador trip 2 summers ago. Just black bears and wolves.
The locals said that the local fauna would consider my, then 2 yr old son, a "bite size" snack.
We went with the Mossberg and slugs accessory for our pop-up trailer.
The only problem with the whole concept is that you've got to sleep sometime.
We were awakened one night by a moose with his nose on the screen sniffing us.
Had it been a bear with an attitude...

A hard side would at slow them down for a moment so that you'd, at least, have a chance to wake up and aim a little. LOL

We're planning another trip up there this summer and the wife is pretty serious about getting a hard side.

I'm thinking RTT - Roof Top Teardrop.

Cheers,
Mark

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
hahaha some entertaining comments here. many of the posts have their merrits from bear spray to bells to guns. I generally carry as pistol (45acp) that will indeed finish a bear in an emergency but most bear will haul but shortly after gun fire. I am not a fan of the electric fence personally but thats because I know it works for the most part. Never ever pee on an electric fence of any kind...
honestly the fence is cool but kind of over kill IMHO Keep your camp cleaned up an stuff put away in proper storage containers is a big help but not fool proof.
I am a member of the Tread lightly but carry a big stick club and that stick generally holds bullets

get out and enjoy life

arlon

Adventurer
I was thinking that sleeping in the Astro van might be safer but the more I think about a large bear the more I think if he really wanted in he would come in glass or no glass. I think I'll just stay down here in the south where the biggest concern is a rattle snake taking a siesta in the shade under your car..

downhill

Adventurer
Ranchers have been using portable electric fences for decades to contain sheep and other livestock, and to deter bears and coyotes. Those products are just as good as the "bear fences" and half the cost. They are a good deterrent for all manor of critters from bears to skunks. The "bear fences" are sold to touristas. Here's a link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=40

I've had many encounters with both black bears and a few with griz. I was even awakened one night by a blacky sniffing my head. Sleeping in a raised RRT is far safer than being on the ground for the simple reason that it gives you precious seconds to react. A ground attack will most likely find you in a flattened tent with the bear on you before you know anything is wrong.

Noise can be a deterrent to a casual bear encounter, but a serious encounter won't be averted so easily. When I'm on foot I carry a titanium framed 357 mag. At camp I also have a short barreled shotgun that is never beyond reach. A handgun of any kind is a very low percentage option though! Stopping a charging bear with ANY handgun requires a brain shot and that is akin to drawing and hitting a tennis ball bouncing toward you while reeling from a massive dose of adrenalin. This is one reason that spray is often a better option. A handgun could be used to stop a mauling though since that would be at point blank range. Many of the encounters I have had have been with little warning. Bears are amazingly stealthy. Nothing that you carry will be of any use if it is not accessable. One of the spray companies sells a chest harness to keep the spray where you can reach it if mauled.

Bears will attempt to get into just about anything for food, but any bear that attempts to enter your tent at night is doing it for the purpose of a predatory attack. Your only option is to fight with deadly force.

Most people assume that black bears are harmless. In general I would say that raccoons are a bigger threat, however, the only serious encounter I have had with a bear was with a black bear. The stand off lasted several minutes with the bear posturing and circling me. Yelling and throwing rocks did nothing to drive him off. Eventually he turned and walked back into the woods. That type of behavior is well documented with young male bears, and they are essentially sizing you up for a predatory attack. I assume that bear was a young male. As long as I stood my ground he gave me a 20 -25 foot perimeter. That's why I didn't shoot him, and eventually we had a better outcome. Grizzlies though require different rules of engagement.

I think the bell idea is a cruel joke. Awareness is the key, and you cannot be vigilant with that racket going on. Bells are fine for fools on a fools errand. Their safety is in the hands of fate anyway.

Regarding firearms, I always carry them regardless of restrictions or bans such as in Yellowstone. They can kiss my lily white behind.

Most of my travels have been and continue to be with dogs. They are very well trained and a great asset in the back country. More than once they have awakened me in the dead of night with a low rumble in the chest. They only bark when I say "who is it?". Otherwise they are quiet.

I have seen wolves in the wild twice, but both times they were gone in a few seconds.
boys on a bench 11.jpg

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Snip....
For those who spend alot of Time in bear country, what precautions do you take?

Easy.
Minimize odors.
Set up camp with the sleeping area upwind 200-300ft from cooking areas, food storage areas, and washing areas. Keep these 3 areas at least 100-200ft apart.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I think the bell idea is a cruel joke. Awareness is the key, and you cannot be vigilant with that racket going on. Bells are fine for fools on a fools errand. Their safety is in the hands of fate anyway.
The key is not to surprise the bear when out in the bush. Racket is good.

Regarding firearms, I always carry them regardless of restrictions or bans such as in Yellowstone. They can kiss my lily white behind.
Is that responsible ownership? Only criminals break the rules. :ylsmoke:

JKJenn

Adventurer
After a chilling evening this fall of listening to a pack of wolves surround my rig as I tried to sleep in my RTT I began wondering how safe am I?

Crazy! My brother has been surrounded in a field by a pack of coyotes in Upstate NY. Evidently, as coyotes migrated across the US, they mated with MN Timberwolves and so coyotes in NY are significantly more aggressive. Same brother awoke one morning camping in NH and outside of his tent the entire area around his tent was completely flattened because a herd of moose had slept outside of his tent all night. My brother can sleep through anything.

I am also interested in being "bear aware." Sightings seem to be growing here in the areas where I plan to camp (PA, WV, & NY.) Is keeping the campsite clean and food stored in my Jeep (heard top) enough? I would think spray would be helpful because Iwould imagine you would feel some shaking if a bear started climbing up your jeep or ladder. :)

BLK2000TJ

View attachment 82109

I've found that it's usually the people with an unnatural fear of bears that carry firearms in bear country. If it's a surprise encounter the firearm is going to be useless. If it's just a bear being curious (as they're known to be) the person with the unnatural fear is more likely to shoot a bear that's just trying to figure out what you are. Pepper spray is 10 times more effective in both situations. If you're that scared of bears that you need to carry a firearm then you should probably not camp or hike in bear country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz