Astro AWD "Stroverlander"

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Thanks, that's my semi-annual detailing so I wouldn't worry about it being dirty at least you're getting some use out of yours!

arlon

Adventurer
Arlon, sorry to hear about your tire troubles, those BFG T/A KOs are nice tires. I emailed a local guy on CL about a set in 265/70-16 (D load rating, 30.7" OD), supposedly with only 3000 miles on them. Appreciate your input on the size/weight as well. Let's see some photos of the new rubber!

Out with the new and in with the old.. Or something like that.
original.jpg

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I had that same water issue with Marshmallow, my old 2003 cargo. Nice fix there though.

Those white letter tires are slick as heck man.

-Kyle

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Nice Astro!

Stroverlander is looking goooood! My parent's had an Astro for years that got passed on to my little sister who drove it forever. I was just talking to my Dad yesterday remembering all the vehicles we have had over the years. He still thinks the Astro was the most reliable and best overall buy.

Did you check the weep hole behind the water pump? Do you smell coolant inside the cabin or just in the engine compartment? Radiator cap could be leaking as well. Sometimes, if the previous owner did not use the correct coolant, there can be a lot of corrosion which leads to little leaks all over the system. Just be patient and check each component. Don't forget the heater core.

Again, nice job!

Brad

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Out with the new and in with the old.. Or something like that.

Those tires look so good on your van, you're doing a good job of selling me on the BFG A/T KOs! I was able to test fit a used set of 245/75-16 tires on stock 16" wheels over the weekend and looks like they will clear with only a bit more trimming of the front bumper cover and maybe just a bit behind the wheels.

What pressure are you running?

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Stroverlander is looking goooood! My parent's had an Astro for years that got passed on to my little sister who drove it forever. I was just talking to my Dad yesterday remembering all the vehicles we have had over the years. He still thinks the Astro was the most reliable and best overall buy.

Did you check the weep hole behind the water pump? Do you smell coolant inside the cabin or just in the engine compartment? Radiator cap could be leaking as well. Sometimes, if the previous owner did not use the correct coolant, there can be a lot of corrosion which leads to little leaks all over the system. Just be patient and check each component. Don't forget the heater core.

Again, nice job!

Brad

Thanks, appreciate it!

I only caught a faint smell of coolant at the front of the van and so when I pressure tested it started spraying from the crimped seam out towards the grille on the driver's side. I checked the water pump when I replaced the radiator, there isn't any coolant or oil weeping and I was planning to replace in the future anyway, probably when I replace the p/s pump and lines. Installed a new cap when I flushed the system too.

I bought the van right at two years old with 35K from dealer and was dealer serviced so confident it's been Dexcool only and changed all the fluids when I brought it home, plus I've done a couple quickie flush and fills every couple of years to replenish the Dexcool. There isn't any nasty buildup or corrosion in the radiator, hoses or thermostat housing that I saw and no trace of cross contamination in any of the fluids either, so believe it was just the radiator leak at the seam.

I replaced the leaking original radiator with a Delphi (oe supplier) from Amazon.com and turns out I noticed that the new radiator leaks too - from seam just below the coolant hose on the driver's side. I noticed a small puddle under the van this morning when I parked and sat for a few minutes before I got out. When I pulled the radiator out of the box, I noticed the aluminum at the seam where it's crimped to the plastic end had some sort of furry white corrosion but didn't think much about it. Kind of strange but I emailed Amazon and they are sending a replacement asap and are decent enough to credit me for the two gallons of Dexcool when I asked about that.

So, I'll be replacing the radiator once more this week. :coffee:

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
My GF's Jeep has the same type of radiator. Not the best design is it? I replaced her entire cooling system because of the corrosion from improper coolant. Sounds like you are more than on top of things though!

Stroverlander

Adventurer
My GF's Jeep has the same type of radiator. Not the best design is it? I replaced her entire cooling system because of the corrosion from improper coolant. Sounds like you are more than on top of things though!

No, but it lasted over 130K and if I get that out of this one, I'll be happy. The radiator shops I spoke with recommended this style over an all aluminum.

Installed replacement radiator tonight and modified trans cooler lines to give them more slack, similar to what ihatemybike mentioned earlier. I noticed the top metal trans cooler line into the top of the radiator didn't have as much slack as it could so installed a brass 3/8" barb into the top fitting on the radiator and used a short piece of trans cooler line to connect the metal line to the barb fitting on the radiator with hose clamps. The metal line end was already flared for the factory style connector so it's nice and tight.

Hopefully that sorts the cooling system.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Well, turns out replacement Delphi radiator had the exact same issues with the first one I installed with leaks in almost the exact same spots! Unfortunately, I was gearing up for a move and funds were tight so had to go with it and trust it wouldn't let me down on the journey. I picked up some radiator leak sealer pellets and carried a a bunch of extra water with me just in case! I didn't want to gum up the cooling system with leak stop if I didn't have too and I put the old radiator cap back on which didn't hold as much pressure (about 10-12lbs when I tested it) as the new cap (15lbs) which helped keep the leaking to a mininum. It's probably the only time I have not felt 100% confident or comfortable that Stroverlander was sorted to get me where I'm going, pretty strange feeling, really.

Even though it's not really an expo adventure, this was certainly an adventure journey none the less! My van and rental 6x12 trailer were loaded down (ok, overloaded - the trailer alone weighs 2000lbs empty) but the van handled the 10+ hour journey admirably. Having previously towed a couple of these with my old '97 Safari AWD, I wasn't a big fan but with my Astro setup, it handled it really well.

Pretty proud of the old Astro, no hiccups the entire journey from 90+ degree temps leaving, to full on thunderstorm and gusting winds at the end of my journey. I had my Jet programmer/scanner plugged in and the van never went over 200 degrees even with front/rear a/c on full blast at times. I set the Rancho RS9000XL shocks to #8 in the front and #9 full stiff in the back, Yokohama Geolandar AT/S (XL load) tires to 38/40psi and don't think this extra load would have been possible without the add-a-leafs installed. I averaged just over 10 mpg on the trip with the transmission in "3" and tow/haul mode selected - the van just plugged away, drove and shifted great the entire time (thanks to the auxiliary transmission cooler).

A couple of things I will be doing when funds allow:

Replace the leaf spring with S10 HD leaf spring packs #22-687HD

245/75-16 A/T "E" load rated tires (+ retrofit tpms system) for peace of mind

IMG_2857-1.jpg

IMG_2861-1.jpg

Unloaded, back to normal ride height

IMG_2868-1.jpg

I spoke with Amazon today and they are issuing me a credit for the second defective Delphi RA1200 radiator so I ordered a Proliance 432750 radiator along with Denso oxygen sensors I've been meaning to replace.

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Installed my new Vista-Pro Proliance radiator over the weekend and everything is finally correct with the cooling system, no leaks and this radiator appears to be a bit nicer quality overall. When installing new 02 sensors I realized Amazon shipped me a wrong part for the left side header pipe, right part # on packing slip, wrong part # in box so had to do another return/exchange deal with them. :Wow1: Denso replacement should be here later today so I'll be good to go.

I noticed that the a/c clutch has been making noise recently when shutting off so checked it out and the clutch is really loose so was going to replace clutch but no one local had a loaner tool that fit so ordered a remover/install tool and I'll put the new a/c clutch assembly in when the tool shows.

New windshield installed yesterday, third time for Safelite replacement glass because keeps developing leaks. Unreal, but hoping it's solved this time. I will say it's amazing how nice fresh, clear glass is to see through!

Anyway, on to more positive things... I have a few things lined up for Stroverlander in the next week or so that I'm excited about so looking forward to it. :coffeedrink:

Edit: Replaced worn out a/c clutch with Compressor Works 677802 kit from Autozone and includes clutch, pulley, bearing and coil.

I used my new Robinair 41067 removal/install tool but had to rent a/c clutch pulley puller 27001 from Autozone to remove pulley and modify a three jaw puller along with a part from the pulley tool to remove coil.

Installed new parts and set air gap on clutch to .025" and it's working great and also super quiet now, not only on engage/disengage but has quieted down engine & serpentine system to a whisper so I suspect bearing was on way out as well. With new AC Delco blower motor and resistor installed, I can say cooling and hvac systems are tip top.

FYI, the Compressor Works pulley is just slightly oversized compared to original pulley but didn't cause any issues with belt/install.

IMG_3047.jpg

Last edited:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Stroverlander Wheel Refinishing & Painting!

A few months ago, I picked up this set of 4 used oem Chevy 16x7 aluminum wheels with tires then sold the tires to break even on the wheels, natch. :D

I'd been looking for a set of Hummer H3 wheels after seeing them on another lifted Astro but these wheels popped and were a good deal knowing I'd be able to sell the tires. Also, the tires mounted were 245/75-16 so was able to test fit on the van to get an idea on fitment if I were to do something similar, maybe, possibly, perhaps... :sombrero:

The used wheels I picked up, same style wheels as what came on my van with the metallic silver paint and machined finish, just in hideous condition.

Astro_wheel_1.jpg

The wheels were pretty corroded and judging by the amount of brake dust I'm guessing never been cleaned, but they didn't have any curb rash and I wanted an extra set of wheels for my van anyway.

I was originally going to bead blast and powdercoat myself (the wheels, not me) as I have done in the past, so the corrosion and brake dust wasn't a concern. However, that option wasn't available in the time frame I wanted (using a friend's equipment) so I moved on to prepping and painting the wheels. I used Rustoleum Automotive gray primer and Rustoleum Wheel Enamel in flat black.

With the wheels being so nasty to start with and not considering myself much of a painter, I wasn't really sure what the outcome would be.

The wheels were corroded in several spots around the rim from wheel weights, on the spoke area and on the inside tire bead surface:

Astro_wheel_2.jpg

Inside with serious amount of brake dust coating wheels:

Astro_wheel_3.jpg

After a lot of prep work involving many, many disposable gloves, particle masks, multiple power drills and wire wheels/wire cups, Scotchbrite pads, sanding, cleaning and more sanding, this is what the wheels looked like:

Astro_wheel_prep_2.jpg

Astro_wheel_prep_3.jpg

Astro_wheel_prep_1.jpg

I taped the wheels, wiped them down with acetone and set up a painting station outside (my only available option) using a 4x4 with a couple of large conical spacers (borrowed from my motorcycle wheel balancing stand) to set the wheel on while painting and be able to flip over to paint both sides. Started with light coat of primer on the inside of wheels, and then a few heavier coats, flipping wheels over as necessary to prime both sides. I did a little sanding here and there as I worked out best technique while doing this over several days in varying hot and windy conditions. Same idea for spraying the flat black paint, light first coat and then heavier coats while trying to leave a nice wet look on the final coat to the outer surface of the wheels.

The wheels turned out better than I anticipated, not perfect by any means, but much better than what I started with for sure.

Astro_wheel_flat_black_1.jpg

Astro_wheel_flat_black_2.jpg

I may run these wheels sans center caps with black closed end wheel nuts or if I do decide to use the center caps, I'll spray those with black Plasti Dip so it's not permanent as my original wheels are still silver/machined finish.

Excited to see what these will look like on Stroverlander... :peepwall:

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Railvan Brian photoshopped my wheels and plastic facia in black. At times I've wanted to do it, but can't committ and have too many other things to do anyway.:ylsmoke:

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Railvan Brian photoshopped my wheels and plastic facia in black. At times I've wanted to do it, but can't committ and have too many other things to do anyway.:ylsmoke:

I think I saw that one somewhere. I did a similar photoshop awhile back to get an idea how it would look (wheel arches included to tie in to body molding) but think I'm going to leave it at the black wheels as I like the contrast. I may do 3m matte black or standard black vinyl over the side windows though.

That's part of the reason I got the second set of wheels, so didn't have any downtime though prep/painting was pretty time consuming.

Here's my photoshop image:

BlackAstroLTAWD1.jpg

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Now that I think about it, I posted it in Van pics thread.

My van came with the directional Chev wheels that I do not like, so, I ended up with 12 of the Chev 1/2 ton 5 spokes like yours. ($75 for a set of 5 on CL; $100 for a set of 4 of CL; and $25 for a set of three with worn tires from a dealership parts department).

Mounted a set of AT's on one set of 5 (brand new "bring backs" from Discount Tire- $433 mtd/bal/out the door), a set of MT's on a set of 4 (slightly used tires from ExPo) , and have three others that I keep in case I ever see the need for a trailer. $1200 into 2 sets of tires with extra wheels. That was 40,000 miles ago and I'm no where near needing a set of tires yet.

Thought of painting the Mud set black...maybe I'll take a long look at yours when you're done (like while eating breakfast or something)

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Stroverlander Update - Refinished Wheels & 31" Tires

So here is how Stroverlander looks with freshly refinished matte black wheels and new tires!

I went with Treadwright Warden A/T (BFG T/A KO E load rating) 245/75-16 tires balanced with 8oz of Dynabeads in each wheel/tire and Orange Electronic P409S tpms system installed. The 245/75-16 tires are about 1 1/2" larger diameter (30.7") than the 235/70-16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S (29.2") so an additional 3/4" of lift gained.

I've been wanting to try a set of these Treadwright Warden A/T tires after much research so now I'll find out how well they work. I'm still looking for a couple extra spare wheels to mount two more tires for use in rotation. Not sure if I am going to sell the Yokohama Geolandars yet or keep them for daily driving, they are still in great condition with approximately 6k on them. Like T.Low, I think I'd be set on tires for some time to come if I kept them and had the two sets.

As I currently only have the one set of center caps from my original silver wheels I didn't want to do anything permanent to the original finish so I removed the aluminum outer covers (tabs on back of covers), removed the plastic wheel nut inserts, painted the bare black plastic finish with matte black and reinstalled the wheel nut inserts.

New wheels and tires installed w/o center caps:

X90JCcf.jpg

62Dy59M.jpg

With painted center caps:

4ctXWCd.jpg

15e6d51.jpg

Unfortunately, I haven't even driven Stroverlander yet - been sitting since the weekend when the fuel pump went out - the heat here in New Orleans killed it! Just waiting on replacement Delphi pump from Rock Auto to arrive. Let's hope I have better luck with the Delhi fuel pump than I did with their radiators! <knock on wood>

Can't wait to swap fuel pumps and go test drive!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94