"Adventure" vehicle for a small family?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Astro is a great choice, but really, in one word......FORESTER! MPG, AWD, Heated leather seats...blah, blah, blah! :wings:

dustboy

Explorer
What ever you get, even if it's a VW bug and a pup tent, get that kid interested in doing something other than playing video games all day!

You got that right.

I do like the idea of a van but at this point it's too big for daily driving..17mpg ain't gonna cut it. When/if critter #2 comes along, we'll probably replace my Tacoma with something kid friendly.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'll add another to the list: a 1st-gen Highlander. They've got good power, good AWD system (debating using one for the Alcan rally), and an amazing amount of space for car seats (and great LATCH points) in the 2nd row that allows for easy in/out of children (much more than the RAV4 or Subarus) especially when they're old enough to climb in themselves. Rear cargo is perfectly sufficient for medium trips along with a large dog with the added bonus of more headroom for everyone.

Lots of opinions here, but we here (fam of 5 + large dog) were seriously considering a Highlander (decided on UZJ100 instead for off-highway duty). I disliked them for many years, but they (1st gens) are so seriously utilizable for all urban-rural family get-about it deserves mentioning.

Last edited:

iMTB

Adventurer
Check out the 2007 Kia Sorento, I was impressed by the 3.8 V6, ladder frame construction, AND the 2wd/4hi/4low!

You got me searching...

bumper1.jpg

I'm impressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior