"Adventure" vehicle for a small family?

dustboy

Explorer
About 6 months ago, we added a new member to the family, which brings us to 3 + a 50lb dog. My Tacoma-based camper is the perfect exploration vehicle for me, but the extra-cab is not baby-seat friendly. That is, it doesn't fit.

I plan to keep the Tacoma for now, but we're due for a family car. It will be a daily driver, and we will be taking some longer road trips with a lot of camping. It will never need to do any real off-roading, but the ability to handle some heavy washboards would be good. An AWD wagon or compact SUV would work well, with a home-built swissRoomBox it would be a great way to camp.

The obvious answer was a Subaru Outback, I can't say it inspired me much on a test drive. Might have to check out the H-6 version. Also on the radar are CR-V, RAV4, etc.

Japes

Displaced Texan
Check out the 2007 Kia Sorento, I was impressed by the 3.8 V6, ladder frame construction, AND the 2wd/4hi/4low!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The obvious answer was a Subaru Outback, I can't say it inspired me much on a test drive. Might have to check out the H-6 version. Also on the radar are CR-V, RAV4, etc.

Did you look at a Forester? Shorter than the Outback with a boxier shape makes it easier to carry bulky cargo and still maintain a decent footprint. Not sure what you mean by saying that the Outback didn't "inspire" you - are you looking for speed or power? The F-4 Subaru motor puts out nearly as much power as the 3.4l V-6 with considerably less weight. You could also look at something like the Mitsubishi Outlander. We test drove a couple of Outlanders in '08 when we were looking for the Wife's new vehicle and I liked them (wife ended up with a Suzuki Grand Vitara, but I wouldn't neccessarily recommend that, either. Not that it's a bad vehicle, it's just not suited for long road trips IMO.) To me the biggest drawback in Mitsubishi is the diminishing dealer presence in the US.

Subarus are as common as weeds in Colorado. Go to any trailhead and you will find the parking lot filled with Subarus, Toyota 4runners and Tacomas, and Nissan X-terras.

Another possibility might be a Hyundai Santa Fe. The newer ones have an improved engine and a 6 speed auto that produces pretty decent MPG, at least from the stats I've seen. Hyundai is one of those "up and coming" companies that is trying to increase its market share and so they tend to pack a lot of "features" into their vehicles and sell them for below-average prices (for that market segment.)

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Would the Suzuki SX4 be too small for you? I've got at '10 AWD with a manual trans, and I really like it. If it's too big, there is also the Suzuki Grand Vitara (I'm kind of a Suzuki fan :D). LIke rxm6 said, Compass (or the Jeep Patriot) might work well, too.

- Andy

dustboy

Explorer
Thanks for the replies, I'm sure this topic has gone around plenty of times before. I might have to take another look at the Outback or Forester with the 2.5L. We currently have an Impreza wagon with the same motor. The car has 140k and at this point it has needed a lot more repairs than my Tacoma with 180k, so that's been a turn-off for the Subaru name.

We're looking for something that's more car than truck. Since it will be realistically off-road less than 1% of it's miles, it makes more sense to drive something that handles the road well.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Hmmm, 99% on the road, handles well, but also needs to handle washboard, and keep the family safe and comfy on long trips.
Sounds like a Cayenne to me...

Mine runs like a scalded dog, and corners like a rollercoaster.

That's pretty good for what you want 99% of the time.

We're still trying to figure out ours. not sure if we're going with a RTT or a small trailer.
So far, it's working out great for the three of us plus dog.

Spendy if you need to get a new one, but cheap after they get a few years old.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers,
Mark

rxm6

Observer
We're looking for something that's more car than truck. Since it will be realistically off-road less than 1% of it's miles, it makes more sense to drive something that handles the road well.

How about a Volvo XC60 or XC70. I'm not the biggest fan of the looks, but the interior and ergonomics are amazing and the AWD did well for the light off road work we took it through.

dustboy

Explorer
Yeah rxm6, I like the Volvos a lot, the squared off back allows for a ton of cargo. I'm a little wary of the price, I'd want one with lots of warranty miles remaining because they are spendy to fix. Likewise for the Allroad, my dad has one that I like, but parts for a brake job are $800+. Hate to see what a new turbo, transmission or headgasket costs. Group Seven, the Cayenne suggestion is tempting, I don't even want to go there on the cost of ownership issue!

My family has owned at least five Volvos since I was a kid, and they have all been great cars (if a little slow). They have fixed the slow problem, but I don't think they are as bulletproof as they used to be.

NothingClever

Explorer
Since it seems like another Subaru is not high on the list, I'd recommend a 4Runner. I really like those little RAVs but I'm betting you'll outgrow the inside dimensions.

dustboy

Explorer
I've done some serious tire-kicking over the last week, so I thought I'd post up my impressions in case anyone is interested. I have no illusion of this vehicle being an "overlander", it's a daily commuter for some car-camping off the beaten path, and some Sierra snow.

Each was driven with the 4-cylinder option and auto transmission. Obviously none were fast but it seemed like the Honda built speed with less hesitation.

CR-V:
Likey:
-smooth ride, handles like a car
-adequate power, great fuel economy, good transmission (for an auto)
-nice interior

No-likey:
-part-time 4WD: not sure if snow handling is good, definitely won't be up to Subaru standards
-how will it do if we venture out on some long Death Valley washboards?

RAV4:
Likey:
-It's a Toyota
-Selectable 4WD (no waiting for a computer to drive rear wheels)
-Feels more substantial, like it would handle rough roads better

No-likey:
-4-cyl is gutless and the slushbox makes it worse
-What is with the rear gate? It swings to the curb side so you have to walk around it to unload groceries. Also, if I'm going to build a galley box, having the tailgate overhead for rain is a good thing.
-Rides more like a truck
-Plastic-fantastic interior. Especially the steering wheel, feels super cheap.

Outback:
Likey:
-Spacious
-Great AWD
-Good fuel economy
-It's a "wagon"

No-likey:
-auto transmission (CVT)
-lack of giddy-up at freeway speed
-seems overpriced compared to competition

I still need to check out the Forester. Looks like it starts at a lower price point than the Outback, and it has lots of cargo space.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Dustboy - did you look at an Element?

Before we pulled the trigger on the Cayenne, I seriously considered one.
Find a 4wd with the 5speed and take it for a spin.
It would be kind of fun to slash around in as a DD, plus, it would lend itself really well to weekend duty with a 'box' in the back.
Very flexible layout.
Not much aftermarket - though the guys at Ursa Minor make a camper top

It was interesting to see your impressions of the different things you looked at.

Keep plugging away - you'll find something you like.

Cheers,
Mark

dustboy

Explorer
Dustboy - did you look at an Element?

I've always liked those things, but assumed I wouldn't like they way they drove for some reason. Worth a drive for sure. Honda disco'ed them, which is a shame as they are a very unique and clever design.

The eCamper is a great idea, especially since Westfalia Syncros are so expensive and all are high in miles and years. An Element with galley box and a RTT would do nearly the same thing for thousands less.

BTW I noticed the Ridgeline in your sig, I don't make fun of those trucks any more..As long as you don't need a rock-crawler or traditional pick-up they are an excellent design.

Just found out that my dad may be ready to part with his Allroad, which is a fantastic car if a bit of a monster.

arlon

Adventurer
Of course everyone loves "their" vehicle, that's why they have them. I've had a lot of SUV's over the years, campers and such.. I've had 4x4 Ram Charger, Bronco, Bronco II, Wagoneer, 2 Suburbans, Troopers (91/96), X-terra (for sale), 2wd Dodge 2500 quad cummins, AWD Astro van (just acquired), tent, pop up camper, and a 5th nice wheel. I came to the conclusion I wanted something that was easy to drive and sleep in without towing something and I have to drive it to work every day. That's why I just got the AWD Astro van (04 with 42k miles). I'm in the process of turning it into an overnighter (not an expedition vehicle). I do a lot of road trips and weekend adventures but seldom more than 2 nights. I hated towing because it was simply a point A to point B thing. A slightly modified van seemed like a good choice. I drooled over the bad boys like a Sportsvan, Quigley and such but didn't think they would be practical grocery getters and cost 5-10x what the Astro did. The mid size van just made sense but that is still to be determined. I've driven it daily and it's easier to drive, park and such than the quad cab dodge. Just started the overnighter conversion so we will see how that plays out..

From experience with dog/kids (Puddles at 50lbs and 2 boys..) my favorite choice for an overnighter (not expedition vehicle) that can do groceries, camping, soccer games, 100% reliable and a ton of other things would be the cummins quad cap with a camper top, tent or small popup (if you don't mind towing, Maybe a roof top tent?). I really don't need 4x4 for 95% of the places I want to go so the 2wd cummins has been my "goto" vehicle for years now. It's an 03 and didn't even come with a catalytic converter. I've put about 150k miles on it and it has done everything asked of it but my wife refuses to drive it. Great mileage, dependable, versatile, daily driver/people hauler, tows a 8k lb 5th wheel, gets 23mpg on road trips (15 towing), etc.. No negatives other than the cost of fuel these past few years. If I lived in 4x4 country, the 4x4 version would have been nice. )-:} The old 4x4 suburban (96 model) would be my second choice for a family rig. It was a great vehicle and served me well but it was VERY thirsty (8mpg towing and 13 on the road) and had a lot of little maintenance issues never encountered with the cummins (cummins has had less than $250 in repairs in the over 150k miles of driving..).

AWD Astro van is destined to be my new weekender (we recently moved to West Texas and 4x4/AWD is just more useful out here). It was easy to mod for overnighting (work in progress), has a reputation for reliability, very cheap (compared to a 4x4 Cummins truck or other 4x4 vans), AWD (amazing in the snow here a few weeks ago), easy to drive, wife and kids don't even mind driving it. Easy to modify if you are into that sort of thing. Jury is totally out on the Astro but if my homework is even close to right, I'll have it for a long time but the kids and dog won't be going with us in this one. Only advantage the Astro has is 8 passenger seating, wife doesn't mind driving it and it has AWD with a rear locker, converts to camper in 30 minutes and has decent towing ability but it gets horrible mileage (18 on the freeway). Wish I could have afforded a redone VW Syncro with a TDI.. (-:}

What ever you get, even if it's a VW bug and a pup tent, get that kid interested in doing something other than playing video games all day! There are a hundred ways to "skin the cat" and all of them beat sitting around watching reruns.

One thing to consider is that we only had one kid until the second one came along. It might be good money to plan for future expansion unless your wife had you neutered or something after the first one.. (-:}

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz