Intro and Our Mercedes Vario Home -Gen rack pg.5. Ideas on uprating rear suspension?

ifandor

Thanks Anthony that sound of you, I may be in touch, havn't really decided on what to do with the gear thats in it, might keep the siren though and hook it up to the alarm! I'm between Ireland and Bristol, the van will be in Bristol most of the time I'd say.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hi ianc,

The water tank was custom made by this guy:

http://www.plasticwatertanks.co.uk/2.html

His name is Neil Woodhead, and was very helpful when it came to making our tank. I sent him a cad model/drawing, and he made it to that spec. He was also the best on price that I could find, costing us £290 + shipping. I cam provide the drawings of the tank if you need them.

The calorifier was from here:

http://www.surecal.co.uk/Product/SureCal.aspx

I can't remember how much we paid, but its £365 on the website. We got the 40l twin coil version with immersion heater. We find with this size we have plenty of water for both of us to have a nice hot shower.

Hope that helps.

andylod

Tea Drinker :-)
Not yet anton .... i have 1 part left to get, and our broken german emails to the factory seem to be at crossed wires at the mo .... i will keep you updated as soon as i know.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
You could always just weld the spider gears if you want the rear end locked up. I mean, if you do not have an ARB or OX locker, or something similar, then why bother trying to source a locker, why not just weld it up and be done with it?

Still... I just love this van, so nice!

Lynn

Expedition Leader
You could always just weld the spider gears if you want the rear end locked up. //snip//!

Really?

I can see welding up the diff on a pure mudding truck, but on a vehicle that will see pavement 90% of the time? On a solid surface I think you really need those back wheels to be able to spin at different speeds, or something is going to break.

It seems to me welding the spider gear on this vehicle would be asking for trouble.

andylod

Thats nice, I thought my steering axel trailer was something !!
Are you building your trailer into a travel waggon ?
Mine trailer is a stage (see pic) .... love you set up though... would really like a Unimog... i think that may have to wait a couple of years :)The Beat3.jpg

micky23finn

Hi Ifandor,
I have just bought this vehicle when it was re listed. Why did you not complete the original sale? Just curious to know.
I will be using it as intended, because I work within that type of industry. Might modify it a bit.

andylod

Hi Micky
I went to look at it out of curiosity. I already have my van but as the 4 x 4 ones dont come up very often it was a good opportunity. I hope you have fun with it as it is a great vehicle.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
andy,

Any updates on diff lock yet?

THere will be another update in this thread first week in september (when im back from Romania), with the build and installation of a swingout rack on the back of the van for the 3kw electric start generator I have bought for it. Were off on honeymoon for 3 weeks end of Sept, with the dog, so need the gen to run aircon. More soon!

andylod

Anton

Latest Diff Lock news is that i have finally figured out the last piece of the jigsaw and have ordered the part. I expect it will take a couple of weeks for it to arrive from the factory. As soon as it does i'll post some pics of the bits and let you know how i get on with the required machining etc....
Is the Romania trip in the van ?? and are you going to the overland show http://www.adventureoverlandshow.com/ . We are staying over friday night but coming back Sat afternoon to fullfill another appointment :-( ... Want to fit a winch to the van so might wait and pick one up from the show. Had our annual family camping trip to Devon with the van recently and finally managed to run the batteries down, it was on the very last night (6 days with no recharge. Good to know the capacity).
Cheers :)

Anton2k3

Adventurer
I've never dared run the batteries right down...I always have the urge to start the engine for a bit! The generator should give us peace of mind. I came home this weekend so started the install, new bumper built with new lights. I'm going to attach it to the step for now, but ultimately to the chassis. I saw the generator for the first time this weekend...and it is MASSIVE! Damn me and my impulse purchases! Oh well, i'll have to make it work. Means building new bumper etc out of 5mm wall box, so its all pretty heavy.

Great news on the Diff lock. Your still keeping me guessing on approximate costs for this, but i'm thinking its a lot! I've been looking into winches recently...there is an eBay special priced at £370, 17000lb so with a snatch block plenty for a vario, 24v. Also has remote control for safe operation. I think its a bargain, and worth a punt for that price. I was considering making a receiver to fit the front tow pin point, and one on the new rear bumper. Removable winch stored in garage. It would be pretty heavy, but maybe with a nylon rope it would be manageable. I like the idea of being able to use it at either end....less noticeable too, stealth is the way forward!

Unfortunately not in Romania in camper, extended work visit for 3 months. Back in two weeks though, can't wait.

We're moving to Singapore for a couple of years in Oct, my start date is the 8th, so not going to be able to make the show, gutted! Not sure how i'm going to cope over there with not workshop and no camper!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier