'94 SR FS: what should I look for?

fjatheart

Adventurer
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/2804961781.html

Owner says it does not leak or burn oil and the timing belt has been replaced. He also said it needs a flywheel vacuum sensor?? I've never heard of such, but he said it was located under the air box and that the 4X4 light blinks, which led him to google the problem.($89 from Napa).
Also said it needs plugs and wires, because it has a miss after it warms up.

Would you guys be scared of this vehicle?

aspect

The 4x4 lights blinking is not as simple as that, unfortunately. I also have never heard of a flywheel vacuum sensor, but there are a variety of potential causes and the only way to pin it down is to do some diagnostic work.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1177494&page=0&vc=#Post1177494

Mine blink, haven't gotten around to tracking it down yet. It seems like it's rarely a big fix once the problem is tracked down. Not sure about the "plugs and wires" diagnosis either, but someone else might chime in on that one. In my personal experience whenever I've encountered a car problem that has "check/replace plugs/wires" as one of the potential fixes, it has always turned out to be something else! Again, probably not a big deal either, but might require some poking around.

Oil leaks at the back of the engine are fairly common as well, and are really annoying to fix, so be glad it doesn't have any of those haha. For $3000 it sounds like it's worth a look. Of course, all the usual used-car-purchase rules apply, so check over everything you can, try all the switches, consider taking to a shop for underbody inspection/compression test, etc...

scrubber3

Not really here
Part number is MB620532. Its called a valve free wheel clutch solenoid. Cost about 100 bucks. This is original mitsu part. Mine had the blink issue as well and this fixed it. They are the most common cause of the 4wd upper lights blinking. the solenoid can be found on the passenger side wheel well just below/ behind the air box. You will know what it is by the vacuum lines attached to it and a small wire harness. IIRC it is 2 little boxy things that have a blue and a yellow dot on them.

Hope this helps,
JW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior