Solid front axle AND Coil springs

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
ujointclothing said:
The next step for you is to get under a late model F250/350 and take some measurements. The first that I would check is the width of the radius arms, center to center. Then you can compare it to your frame.

U hit it on the head.

It's time to hit the car lots and/or asking friends who's got a 2005-up F250/F350SD and take 'em measurements. I wonder if I could rent one from the Used Car lots for a week or 2?

Fabtech offers an 05-08 Ford 250/350 6-inch complete lift kit (including the longer radius arms) for $1800 and the 4-link version for $2200. (Looks like the 4-link version is a better system, huh?). Also, I'm sure Ford Parts sells the other needed parts on an individual basis (if I can't find any wrecking yard units, as it is very unlikely to find any); all I have to do then is to fabricate the attachments points to my un-Ford van frame.

So maybe for around $5000 for purchased parts and a $1000 Dana 60, plus fabrication, the whole thing can be done for $7-8K???

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
If I went with a front Dana 60 I'd "engineer" my RV's front suspension like the 05-08 F350 front suspension with the factory radius arms. BUT . . .

After a lot of thought, I've decided to go with the IFS Independent Carrier Assembly (ICA - as it is called by GM) and use beefed up halfshafts and CV joints.

So, wish me luck . . . or say your piece now (further discourage me).:(

Cutting is set to begin next month!!!

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
ujointclothing said:
You're CRAZY!!!! ..... :)

I've been called that before :) But it's gotta work; Quigley makes them work.

I've scored a Dana 60 and will keep it in the garage just in case during the maiden voyage with the front IFS differential and the pumpkin blows up . . .

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Sounds like you already know the IFS is gonna grenade!! If you already have the 60, why not just install it instead? I'd love to able say I told ya so, but I don't want to see you built the van twice!!! :)

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
After trying to figure out where the torsion bars will hang, I'm convinced that it will REALLY compromise ground clearance.

OK, I changed my mind. I'm now going with the Ford 05-08 suspension (coil sprung / radius arms solid axle) design. (I just have an aversion for leaf springs).

Who has an F350 (2005-2008) that I can "borrow" or "rent" for a week or two so I can bring it home just for taking measurements???

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Any reason in particular you don't like leaf springs? They are so simple and effective....I REALLY like the KISS method of vehicle design and construction...

Spence

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Spence, leaf springs give a harsh ride, or so I've read and heard. Fruthermore, I like Ford's newer technology/suspension.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I think it depends on the leafs...I've been in a stock 2002 F250 Superduty with front leafs and it rode like buttah.

Spence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior