On Board Hot Water Shower System

Ponyracer

Adventurer
WOW!! That is great man, great job! Very clean install. So to get water that is not quite so hot you just watch the gauge when heating the water or let it cool slightly after shutdown huh? How long did it take to get that water that hot?

TheJosh

Explorer
WOW!! That is great man, great job! Very clean install. So to get water that is not quite so hot you just watch the gauge when heating the water or let it cool slightly after shutdown huh? How long did it take to get that water that hot?

Thank you! It sure was some work!! Yeah that's exactly how I have it, I can run the pump til it gets to the right temperature or one of the other things I was thinking of if I just keep the pump running and cycling all the water through the heat exchanger til the whole tank is really hot then I can get to camp, set up have dinner and then when the water tank cools down to a good temp I can take a shower, another way to cool it down would be to just run the heat exchanger pump while the truck is off and heat will come off as The water cycles thru the lines

ab1985

Explorer
Wow, very nice work here! Quick question - why do you need two pumps? I just assumed one could pump from the tank, through the heat exchanger, then out the faucet. Is the need to cycle water through the tank specific to the Helton unit? I did a bit of research last year and procured all the parts I thought I'd need to put together a system for my 4Runner (haven't started yet), but I've never heard of anyone using two pumps. Just curious.

Again, great work!

TheJosh

Explorer
Wow, very nice work here! Quick question - why do you need two pumps? I just assumed one could pump from the tank, through the heat exchanger, then out the faucet. Is the need to cycle water through the tank specific to the Helton unit? I did a bit of research last year and procured all the parts I thought I'd need to put together a system for my 4Runner (haven't started yet), but I've never heard of anyone using two pumps. Just curious.

Again, great work!

thank you!

the reason i used two pumps was to simplify the system. i have 1 pump the cycle the water thru the heat exchanger and back into the tank and then back thru the heat exchanger. the other pump just controls the shower. i could have done it with one pump but i would have had to have a valve somewhere to divert water going from the heat exchanger to go to the shower. since i will be covering up the whole bottom with a skid plate it would just be a easier solution to control everything with switches. you can def do it all with just one pump but since i was already knee deep in the install i figured i would go the extra mile and make it very crafty :)

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Very nice man, will def have to "borrow" this for my camper. How long does it take to heat the water up when you run the 1 circulation pump?

TheJosh

Explorer
engine bay

file-849.jpg

heat exchanger

file-1551.jpg

water fill port

file-1897.jpg

file-1917.jpg

pumps off

file-955.jpg

pumps on

file-300.jpg

shower hookup

file-2139.jpg

file-1833.jpg

hot water

file-1978.jpg

undercarriage

file-525.jpg

heat exchanger pump

file-556.jpg

particle strainer

file-1148.jpg

shower pump

file-2129.jpg

from left to right (outlet for heat exchanger, outlet for shower, inlet from heat exchanger)

file-549.jpg

pump

file-1943.jpg

file-1544.jpg

Treenail

Adventurer
VERY clean setup...ooo...bad pun!

What did you use for temp gauges? My first thought is to use engine temp sending units. Maybe you've found something even more clever.

What is the highest temp that you've gotten the water up to? Would it be worth the bother to use an anti-scald mixing valve? That sure would add complexity I know.

Tom

TheJosh

Explorer
VERY clean setup...ooo...bad pun!

What did you use for temp gauges? My first thought is to use engine temp sending units. Maybe you've found something even more clever.

What is the highest temp that you've gotten the water up to? Would it be worth the bother to use an anti-scald mixing valve? That sure would add complexity I know.

Tom

Thank you very much!!

I'm very happy with my find for a temp gauge, I just searched on amazon for a remote temp gauge and found one for $24. It has a 9 foot lead and uses a watch battery. I ran that thru the Fillmore into the tank and it rest somewhere in the tank. It provides a reading every ten seconds.

I haven't ran the engine for a very long time yet but after 15 minutes it gets up to about 165 degrees. I didn't want to add a mixing valve because that would require a separate water tank with cold water. I basically just run the exchanger til I reach the desired temp and shut off that pump. Then use the shower pump when fro
Then on

Very nice work. How long of a shower will you get with what's in the tank? Also did you find a different shower head or are you still using the one in the video. If anyone knows where to get a .5gpm head please share. The best I've found is a 1gpm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94