receiver hitch "kitchen"

arlon

Adventurer
Has anyone done a kitchen mounted off of a receiver hitch? I was just thinking if I could use the hitch for a box mounted kitchen instead of the back of my van, it would allow me more "living" room in the van. Afraid a "hitch haul" type of kitchen might take a beating. Still might have to consider building something like that from aluminum frame but it would be nice to know if the idea has already succeeded or failed for someone else..

Last edited:

AFSOC

Explorer
I have seen a few receiver hitch BBQ grills and tables geared for the sporting event tail gater crowd but don't recall any set ups geared toward the trail rider/camper set. I love the idea and would enjoy seeing it executed.

arlon

Adventurer
My thought is along the lines of cutting the back off a teardrop trailer and sticking it on a receiver (figuratively, not literally). Build up to the bottom of the rear window, fit between the tail lights, bottom height to actually sit on the bumper (and narrow enough to not destroy approach angle), airbag on the back in case I get rearended. I have a hitch hauler rack I could just set a box on but it already weighs a ton with nothing else on it. I'd want it light enough that wife and I could easily unhitch it and stand it on it's own folding legs... (-:}

Elseanno

My thought is along the lines of cutting the back off a teardrop trailer and sticking it on a receiver (figuratively, not literally). Build up to the bottom of the rear window, fit between the tail lights, bottom height to actually sit on the bumper (and narrow enough to not destroy approach angle), airbag on the back in case I get rearended. I have a hitch hauler rack I could just set a box on but it already weighs a ton with nothing else on it. I'd want it light enough that wife and I could easily unhitch it and stand it on it's own folding legs... (-:}

A couple ideas for you.

Check out Drifta Kitchens for clever ways to maximize space and useability.

Using adjustable drop down wheels might help with loading/unloading. Trailer jacks or other home built options would work.

You could build it with marine plywood, plywood clad with sheet metal or if you can weld aluminum you could weld a frame & skin it with aluminum.

Since this is to be mounted on the back of your van, are putting some sort of awning above for shade/rain protection?

What ever you do, post pictures. I'm sure we are all interested in seeing the results.

arlon

Adventurer
That hitchkitchen is a little over the top from what I was thinking but great for reference. I do weld aluminum and that was going to be my first thought. I don't weld pretty but that's what a grinder and paint is for. I'm a total hack but it would probably stay stuck together.. I like the idea of aluminum just to keep the weight to a minimum and since it would be outside, maybe less damage from the elements. I also like the outside/hitch idea just for storing propane cylinders. I just don't like storing any gas cylinders inside the vehicle.

I'd have to consider a "market umbrella" for shade. I have used one in several places and they just seem to work better than most would give them credit for. Not very high tech but shade is shade.

Elseanno

That hitchkitchen is a little over the top from what I was thinking but great for reference. I do weld aluminum and that was going to be my first thought. I don't weld pretty but that's what a grinder and paint is for. I'm a total hack but it would probably stay stuck together.. I like the idea of aluminum just to keep the weight to a minimum and since it would be outside, maybe less damage from the elements. I also like the outside/hitch idea just for storing propane cylinders. I just don't like storing any gas cylinders inside the vehicle.

I'd have to consider a "market umbrella" for shade. I have used one in several places and they just seem to work better than most would give them credit for. Not very high tech but shade is shade.

My exact feelings about Hitch Kitchen. Too big and the execution doesn't seem thought through. Why would you put the umbrella in front where you need to work?
(I've been planning to build something like this myself)

On the shade/umbrella question I've been thinking that either home made or (more expensive) store bought awnings like guys are using on their rigs around here mounted on two adjustable posts attached to the back of the kitchen might be useful. Some where on this forum (I think) I saw a thread where a guy built his own fold out awning.

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Easy umbrella mount.

This is how I mounted my offset umbrella
I bought a couple 2" and 11/4" hitch tubes off of ebay and mounted them under my trailer.
" You could mount them to the vehicle or side of the hitch rack"
I cut the mount off the umbrella stand and mounted it to a piece of square tubing.
It slides in the receiver and pin holds it in place.
Pop the umbrella up and you have instant shade.
I used an off set umbrella so it would not hang over the trailer.

Attachments

• DSC05665.JPG
    DSC05665.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC05657.JPG
    DSC05657.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC05661.JPG
    DSC05661.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC05664.JPG
    DSC05664.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 60

Steingass

I'm going through the planning stages right now. I think it's a great idea. Cant wait to get home and start fabbing it up.

jronwood

Adventurer
I am planning a "swing away" kitchen box on the back of a HMMV shelter. This will cantilever off a 1.5"-2" stainless or schedule 80 aluminum rod. It will swing to the rear and out of "windstream" of the side of the shelter as we travel. It will be either a 6' wide 24" high steel truck tool box, or two aluminum ones I have here. . The four corners of the shelter will have these standard rods as a mount point for various things. The top and bottom corners have very heavily reinforced cast steel (where the lift rings are). The top of these rods will likely be the basis for the mounting of my roof rack as well. If you vehicle can sustain the mounting of a corner swing point (much like a swing away spare tire carrier), it might be easier than the hitch. The kitchen will swing around the corner and under our slide out legless awning.

Jronwood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles