Oddball Toyota sighting

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Well oddball to me...

Just went to the grocery store at lunch and spotted a RHD Toyota Hiace 4wd diesel van. It had a few decals that said Vista and SuperCustom on it as well. The van had tags from British Columbia and an Overland rooftop tent mounted up top. I didn't have my camera with me (didn't occur to me to use my cell phone camera) so I didn't get a pic but it was identical to this one, even the colors -

Hiace.jpg

The van belonged to a young couple with their newborn and a pair of grandparents. I confirmed it was a diesel with the owner and he said all 5 of them slept in the Overland. They were headed into Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP.

Hadn't seen a Toyota Vista SuperCustom Diesel 4WD Hiace RHD, (whew!) with a roof top tent before. Kinda cool sighting. Anyone else know about these? I forgot to ask if he had it imported or if the were sold in Canada previously....

Fun lunch sighting! :088:

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
I saw a trayback 70 series with a camper on I90 when I was leaving Devil's Tower last weekend. I would have stopped them but they were going the other way on the freeway. :) Why does Wyoming get all the oddball Toyotas?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
kcowyo said:
Cuz they come to see this.....

Never understood why even the trees are grey up there. Must be some special WY atmospheric light filtering out all the color, eh?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
pskhaat said:
Never understood why even the trees are grey up there.
Oh that's from the pine beetle kill, they're actually all as dead as the Tetons themselves (kidding aside, this is really a problem).

TeleScooby

Adventurer
The rhd HiAce vans were imported to BC from Hong Kong or elsewhere in Asia, there's a big market for them up north. Can always find rhd Cruisers of all stripes too, especially diesel.

There's one of those vans that I see in town everysooften, generally has whitewater kayaks and/or mtn bikes loaded up top and hanging off the back, have yet to talk the owners, I always see them from afar and can't seem to catch up...

I love them personally, perfect mix of city usabliity and utility, and a bombproof 4wd system for weekends away!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Dirty Harry said:
Looked pretty flat when I was driving from Gillette to Cheyenne.

Please keep using your mighty sword/pen to cut a wide swath, promoting that fact. And tell everyone too that in Wyoming, I-80 goes through more brown holes than a hyperactive proctologist.

Colorado and Utah sure are nice. People should go there. ;)

bj70_guy

Adventurer
There are quite a few of those running around here in Vancouver. The Mitsubishi Delica seems to be more popular though. One of my friends just bought a Delica and it's very cool! It has a 2.5L turbo diesel, true 4x4 and a low range transfer case. It seats 7, and the middle and rear seats fold into a bed.

1297824707_c51899634b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz