Is this a dumb idea? Popup on top of a utility bed.

Ponyracer

Adventurer
So I'm looking to "get out of the food chain" while camping and I've been looking at RTT's.

I can't stomach the $1600-2000 delivered price tags, FOR A TENT. Ya there "neat" but IT'S A DAMNED TENT.

Have also been thinking of a military trailer (m101) with a camping setup on it, then it donned on me, turn an 8' utility bed mounted on an old truck frame into a trailer with a small popup bolted to the top of it. Remove as much metal and weight from both of course, mount the popup so it opens towards the front and back so you could store stuff in the utility body boxes such as a grill/propane etc.

You'd still have the center of the body under the popup for storage as well.

Pro's:
-Utility beds and popups are pretty cheap
-Sleep 6-8 people in relative comfort (planning on a rtt on a sub, 2 up top, 3 in sub)
-Still mobile with the tow rig without messing with the camper.
-Can be used with multiple vehicles
-Tow rigs are on 34-35"tires so some lift blocks on the trailer would get the height needed to get you above most predators in AK. Will have a 450 AR for the rest.

Con's
-WEIGHT/balance/top heavy
-Ladder placement to get into camper.
-???????

Use would be alaska summers only, weekend trips, gold panning and exploring/fishing/camping. Not a hardcore offroad deal.

Anyone ever seen such a thing? I searched on here and the pirate 4x4 forums with no joy. What are some reasons it won't work?

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Well this thought is definetly firming up in a hurry. I would order a complete 7' lb idler axle kit (mainly to match my trucks wheel pattern), i already found some utility service bed sides local on CL for $100! and a nice little pop up that the guy says make an offer on. So once the emails come back we'll see!

If this does happen it won't begin until sometime in Jul when I rotate back to the states from korea.

Let me know if this is a dumb idea before I spend any $$!!

I'm thinking a 2x4 1/8 wall rect tubing frame with the tool boxes designed as part of it, then the pop up mounted to the boxes with uprights from the "frame" down to trailer frame to spread the weight of the camper.

loren85022

Explorer
utility body as off-road/adventure trailer

I too chose a utility body for my trailer. I ended up trading another trailer for an RTT, but the pop-up would/could work. I built my own frame out of 2x3". I wanted the frame to host far too many things in/under/around it to be messing with a bulking truck frame.

Full size util-bodies are pretty wide. I opted for an old mini-truck size. Its 5'x7'. Its also fiberglass which save me some pounds. I found it on craigslist for $300-ish. I added a 1x1" frame to the top to host the tent. The frame adds hard-points for mount untold other stuff down the road.

RTT's are pricey and if your crew handles a pop-up, then save the bucks. But it's not a waste of time to troll craigslist for someone nearby looking to dump one. At the right price, almost anyone would love their functionality.

One thing worth mentioning is that in no way did having a utility body save me any time or money. Building it continues to be a labor of love. I have a new-found appreciation for the cost of a true off-road worthy trailer. But the utility boxes are absolutely great for camping. We keep the thing ready to roll with all our gear. I know exactly where everything goes.
Canp-0212.jpg

Pooch72

Adventurer
Hey man, I like the way you think! I've actually been chasing that very idea for quite some time now, and while I've made significant plans, I haven't actually taken the first step.

I built the trailer (see my signature link), and the next step has been to start to build a canopy for my odd-sized trailer. Then, top it off with an opening top design fitted with a "roof top tent" which, would be an actual tent, mounted to a roof.

I've started to ask myself the similar questions as you posted. "Is this a dumb idea?" Am I crazy? Waste of money?

Thanks for posting your question. I'm taking note of it and the responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94