Rainforest Challenge Malaysia

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
One of my all time favorites. I have heard a lot though that the event is not very well balanced. I also have found you can find many blogs, pictures and videos if you vistit the teams websites.

Viggen

Just here...
Its on my unrealistic bucket list. Would love to get out there and do it. Wouldnt have to be a competition truck but would be happy to be in the caravan in a truck since they still have to do a lot of the same stuff. Now, if only I could get press credentials...

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I've been twice and it's a hell of event. You do need to have a well prepared vehicle that sticks to their safety rules. If the vehicle doesn't meet the rules ,you go home. They do have an adventurer package, and you don't need credentials to participate. Just money to pay entry. ;) It is definitely something you won't see anywhere else.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Viggen

Just here...
I've been twice and it's a hell of event. You do need to have a well prepared vehicle that sticks to their safety rules. If the vehicle doesn't meet the rules ,you go home. They do have an adventurer package, and you don't need credentials to participate. Just money to pay entry. ;) It is definitely something you won't see anywhere else.

So, tell me more about it. Ive looked and watched all there is to see on the interweb about it. Would love to hear a first hand account. Its like saying, "Yeah, Ive been to the moon," and then not saying anything more about it.

Last edited:

aka rover

Adventurer
I would like to here more as well, what kind of a rig did you compete in. Where you an American team? Would like to here more.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Sorry for not replying sooner. I missed this thread. First time in 1999 I competed in my only truck at the time. A Mitsubishi L200 on 32" Swampers. It was one hell of a learning experience. I learned the most from the Aussies. Those guys live and breath 4x4. The second time in 2001 I went with Jeep Wrangler TJ on 36" Swampers. Much better equipped and all around vehicle. A little tight on the storage for all the gear but we managed. I always went as the Canary Islands team. That's where I was born, even though my Dad was from Texas.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Here's some pics from the 1999 edition.

rfc17.jpg

rfc001.jpg

rfc03.jpg

The last pic was the day we made it out of the Jungle. I lost 14 kilos!!! All from the lack of experience and stress. That year 27 vehicle were lost to the monsoon. In the following weeks after the event, the locals, military and other volunteers managed to recover all but one vehicle. The last vehicle was recovered 6 months later after the monsoon ceased.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Pics from the 2001 edition.

container08.jpg

container09.jpg

rfc40.jpg

4da9126e.jpg

9d586464.jpg

rfc41.jpg

rfc002.jpg

rfc54.jpg

That year we were so much better prepared, unfortunately the jungle is so unpredictable. Many vehicles rolled due to crazy terrain. We got out on our own effort but we lost all possibilities of keeping our top 10 spot. We lost power steering from the roll. With the big deflated tires it became a team effort to steer the Jeep through the jungle. Especially during the special stages. We ended up 16th in the end. Even with all the additional knowledge and experience it was still one hell of and adventure. Some unknown bug bit me, and I got a 40+ fever for two weeks. I lost function of most of my muscles and was constantly loosing consciousness. They sent blood samples to all the best tropical disease centers. None was able to find out what it was. Eventually after two weeks I just snapped out of it like nothing had ever happened. A South African and Dutch participant also got it. Mysteries of life!!!

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
This year is the 15th anniversary for the RFC and they have something special organized. I was invited to return but this year is impossible for me. Too much going on in my personal life. All good fortunately. Also because they have a tire limit and none of my rigs are within that limit.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

aka rover

Adventurer
Nice pics I remember you there! I was there in 1999 and 2000! I was driving the blue jeep TJ came in 10th I had to DNF one of the events due to battery problems!!! I didn't get to do the terminator.

But was a blast to do, Chriss Hummer is a friend of mine who had a big influence on the challenge and helped luis wee out quit a bit, And of course is one of the simex designers.

Wish I coud go this year as well but I had to decline.

Cheers Ed

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Chris Hummer, Peter Taylor, David Metcalf and the rest of the Aussie/UK crew were a huge help to Luis to making the RFC what it is today. Luis had the spirit and drive, those guys had the experience and know how. That combo is what made such a great event. I stay in touch with both Chris and David. Amazing guys and friends for life.

aka rover

Adventurer
Yes that is the same jeep for sure!.. It has been striped of alot of the original equipment it had when I owned it. I saw a year ago and the second 20 gal. tank was missing all the HID lights are gone the modified for competition 8275-50 is not there, the supercharger is gone as well as a bunch of other items. It is still a great rig! they are asking close to the same price I sold it for but with a lot less stuff.

I hope someone gets it and puts it to a good use.

Cheers Ed

aka rover,

Would this be the same Jeep you took with you? I found it on CL last month and they recently posted it again. It caught my eye as it is seriously built for off road. I'd love to turn it into an overland machine..might have to go take a look at it sometime when the stars align for me.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/3309525294.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94