Update on my XR650R

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Im am totally addicted. This thing really takes a beating. I have been pushing my limits daily in training for some serious DS trips to come. The bike really does well, but the rider is getting his butt kicked. Hard riding everyday for over a month now has resulted in several wipe outs (lost count at 26-30) but the bike is wonderful. Unfortunatly the headlight met a tree at about 40mpg and sideways. Its fixable--whats the ol saying, "itll buff out". LOL
Other than that, no other visible damage and still starts on first kick.

Anyone considering a bike, should SERIOUSLY look into one of these things!

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I crashed my xr400 a few weeks ago and messed up my knee. Just lifted the bike up, bent the shifter back in place noticed some new scratches and road away!
XR's are great. I covet a new KTM450exc, but I know that it will take much more pampering than ANY XR!!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Colorado Ron said:
Im am totally addicted. This thing really takes a beating. I have been pushing my limits daily in training for some serious DS trips to come. The bike really does well, but the rider is getting his butt kicked. Hard riding everyday for over a month now has resulted in several wipe outs (lost count at 26-30) but the bike is wonderful. Unfortunatly the headlight met a tree at about 40mpg and sideways. Its fixable--whats the ol saying, "itll buff out". LOL
Other than that, no other visible damage and still starts on first kick.

Anyone considering a bike, should SERIOUSLY look into one of these things!

Glad to hear it ron!

I have the XR650L and have the same to say about it!

I have crashed it probably 10-15 times, 2x very hard and fast, pick it up, fires right up, ready to go.

Unfortunately, i dont always get up and am ready to ride that quick! :D

Nice Choice of Bikes! Year?

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
SOAZ said:
I crashed my xr400 a few weeks ago and messed up my knee. Just lifted the bike up, bent the shifter back in place noticed some new scratches and road away!
XR's are great. I covet a new KTM450exc, but I know that it will take much more pampering than ANY XR!!
The XR's are awesome bikes. However, I went from an XR to a KTM450EXC and never looked back. The KTM will blow your mind. I have not had any maintenance issues out of my 2004 or my 2006, you should do it.

Willman

I have been eyeing to Honda for a while......very nice bikes!!

I owned a 98' CR250R before they got the alum. frame right......boy did i love that bike!.....Honda make a great bike!

In a few years.......CRF400X would be a fun bike to convert to the street

:chowtime:

We should have a motorcycle event at the trophy.:chowtime: An "expedition motorcycle" event... street legal bikes with our camping gear.

I've got an Xr650L. Laid it down hard one day... hard enough to crack the back of one of my Tech 8's. Had to pull myself out form under it, but it cranked up... my heel steel hurts on cold days, might have fractured. But, i blame it on bald tires....

Speaker

Adventurer
LaOutbackTrail said:
We should have a motorcycle event at the trophy.:chowtime: An "expedition motorcycle" event... street legal bikes with our camping gear.

I've got an Xr650L. Laid it down hard one day... hard enough to crack the back of one of my Tech 8's. Had to pull myself out form under it, but it cranked up... my heel steel hurts on cold days, might have fractured. But, i blame it on bald tires....

Sounds good to me :roost:

I can not tell you how many times I've fallen off the dirt bikes. Multiple concussions, separated shoulder, abrasions all over. Nothing super serious though.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
LaOutbackTrail said:

Go here.

TxRider

Observer
Dirt bikes are great that way, it's hard to hurt them. I ride KTM LC4's, basically a KTM version of a XR650 but with steel frame and subframe so you can pack more in the back. Adds a few lb's of weight, but it's the same basic bike that owns the Dakar race.

The XR's only weakness for long DS rides is that the rear subframe tends to crack if you pack weight on it.

That and lack of electric start.

I have a '96 KTM 620 RXC for sale now, Bought it new, kick only and well taken care of for a couple grand. It hasn't been down more than about 10 times in ten years. :) I don't tend to crash a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier