AZ 9/9 Nav Challenge Day

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Navigation Challenge Day Sunday Sept 9th

Background:
I am a person who needs motivation to really get into something and learn it well.
Scouting taught me maps and compass use and I remember the fun of finding my way to secret spot or leading my group back to camp.
Geocacheing was great for teaching me the basics of gps use, however I find that I am missing something to really get me to master gps for offroad routefinding.
I am sure I am not the only person who would enjoy a bit of a challenge even if it is just for fun.
So I offer our AZ folks the Navigation Challenge Day!

Format:
This is the gps co-ord of the rally point 34° 0'12.24"N 112°44'37.05"W
You can use google earth to help you see it and look around if you would like.
At 9am you will be given a set of gps co-ords and 30 min to plug them in however you want into your system.
At each waypoint will be number of tickets, please only take 1, this is an honor system after all, and I only plan to have enough tickets at each spot to cover those who plan to attend,,,therefore we will know if you took a few. At the end point we will regroup and BBQ some hot dogs and draw from your tickets for some prize I will come up with.

The challenge isn't in being the first to navigate to all the points but to find them and to see the various routes folks will take to get there, dirt road vs wash, fast vs slow & steady.

Oh and if you don't have a gps but are interested in learning then come out and:
Be a co-pilot
Play in the dirt while following someone
Chat with everyone before, during and after.
Bring your maps and make fun of everyone who gets lost

All thoughts welcome and let me know are interested.

Maybe:
crawler#976
BogusBlake

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I just did a run in the area and thought it would be good to play in...never been there before and is central for most folks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles