Inc's Trooper Mod Thread

Incusus

Adventurer
Goal: Create a true cross-purpose vehicle to meet my needs in work and play. The truck must be capable off road while still retaining street manners for daily commuting. Enhanced cargo capacity to take up to 4 passengers and all associated gear for camping and biking trips that can be reconfigured/removed for work and utility use. Particular attention to enhanced medical and comfort needs of my wife while on a trip, and safety and security while transporting delicate electronics for my job.

Base Rig: 1999 Isuzu Trooper 3.5L V6, 4L30E automatic transmission. Rear Axle: 12-bolt Isuzu corp w/ G80 LSD. Front Axle: 10-bolt Isuzu corp with TOD
Here she is as purchased in Feb 07' with ~no mods~
00002eh7

Update photo! Here she is currently (feb '09)
IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

Current Mods:

Suspension:
OME 919 Springs
OME stiff shocks
Ball Joint flip
Torsion bar lift
Greasable sway bar bushings
removed droop snubbers (front)
low profile droop snubbers (rear)
LT265/75-16 BFG All Terrains

Exterior:
**Removed entire rear rack, with the exception of 2 bars & a kayak mount. Added hitch mount bike carrier*
License plate deck mounted reverse floods
Hella 550FF's up front
Curt rear hitch

Navigation:
Garmin Map 60 CSx
external antenna
HP nx7400
Sylva compass, paper maps

Communication:
Cobra 19 Ultra III CB radio
Uniden GMRS/FRS handhelds
Uniden BC350A programmable scanner

Electrical:
Trip-Light 375W (600W peak) power inverter
Optima yellow top battery

Safety:
ABC Fire extinguisher (rear door)
First aid kit
Basic recovery bag-
~~(Shackles, snatch strap, tow strap, jumper cables, shovel, axe)
Basic Safety Bag-
~~(Sterno, matches, MRE's flashlight, glow sticks, blanket, MSR water filter)
Hi-Lift
Chain

Drivetrain:
Remote transmission cooler
TOD 4-HI modification.
Superwinch Manual hubs (removed for warranty return, 10/08)

Last edited:

Incusus

Adventurer
Future Mods:

Future mods
are mods that are planned, but need to be researched as to type/brand needed or if needed at all based on use over the next year. For example, I may decide against a winch if I stick to forest roads and wheel with a group a few times. I will get a CB, but until I get to that point I will not make a decision as new product will be out by then. Savvy? As mods are completed, they will be removed and placed in the "Current Mods" post.

Future mods:

Front Hitch receiver

Rear compartment fan (roof mount, removable)
Closed box with filtered air access & dedicated wiring to run a nebulizer
Laptop Mount
Winch, receiver mount
Extend skid plates
Interior sleeping platform with integrated storage.
~Supported by rear seats in folded position, can be stowed when traveling with rear passengers. Must fold 60/40 so 2 passengers can sit in
rear seats (60) while evac'ing someone lying prone (40).
~Secured to floor, but relatively easy to remove and store with no permanant modification (drilling) to truck.

Last edited:

Incusus

Adventurer
Shovel said:
... I mounted those "Load Bar Rails" from inside a Semi-Trailer to the interior, ... *snip*

Thanks for the input! I'm open to all sorts of ideas right now.
I think I know what you mean, but some googling around isn't producing anything. Where did you get yours? How did you mount them? I'm assuming mounting them to the plastic walls isn't strong enough to support someone.

ZooJunkie said:
Wow, that's a long list. Good luck!

hehe ya now that I look at it... I'm scared o.0

By the way, I'm almost done working up the roof rack platform based on your rack. I'll get some pics up when its finished :)

Incusus

Adventurer
Shovel said:
http://www.cstt-jencam.com/sitebuilder/images/Damaged_reefer_air_board_003-fixed-362x264.jpg

First pic I could find of the kind of rails I used.... they're available in 10' sections at a local B2B small quantity metals supplier that keeps changing names. Capitol Metal now I think? on 48th street in Phoenix... of course you're in another state so you'll have to search around your area. This place near me has all the accessories that interface with it, as well. On pre-1992 Troopers the interior panels are all flat high-density chipboard (wrapped in vinyl/tweed) with steel all around... there was plenty for me to screw into. May not be so easy in a 99. (man, I miss the spartan design of old japanese trucks... almost as big inside as the outer dimensions of the vehicle)

Yep, thats what I was thinking. I'll have to do a little researching to see if it would work with whatevers behind the plastic. I agree, its too bad the Japanese (and now the Germans too) are caving and going towards the American automotive design ethic: Plastic coated luxo-barges with 75 cupholders. :rolleyes:

Trucks and sports cars should be relatively spartan and purpose-built I think.

ZooJunkie said:
COOL! Can't wait to see how your roof rack looks. How's the supports working out for you?

Great so far... they're not actually on the truck yet though :D Thanks for selling em to me!

jl8088

Adventurer
nice mods and a future mods too! I'd like to have mine built nearly the exact same way.

Do you have any photos of your custom hi-lift mount? Where would you use a high lift on a stock trooper anyway? I've been trying to figure that out. Generally people have custom front or rear bumpers with shakles, but i have neither so i was wondering if i should get a hi-lift or a bottle jack.

Incusus

Adventurer
jl8088 said:
nice mods and a future mods too! I'd like to have mine built nearly the exact same way.

Do you have any photos of your custom hi-lift mount? Where would you use a high lift on a stock trooper anyway? I've been trying to figure that out. Generally people have custom front or rear bumpers with shakles, but i have neither so i was wondering if i should get a hi-lift or a bottle jack.

Thanks!

I don't have any photos (or a camera at the moment as mine finally died), but what I did was use two leftover yakima bar clamps, drilled the holes in them a bit wider, and slipped a 4" bolt in them. I fastened it with a washer and nut, then on the 3" that protruded from the top I put (dont laugh) the leftover washers and rubber bumpers from my old front shocks and capped off the whole thing with a washer and wing nut. The hi-lift sits sandwiched between the rubber bumpers that are oddly enough, the perfect size to fit between the grooves. So far it works well, but I'm watching the plastic clamps for any sign of wear and researching decent metal clamps just in case.

As far as where to use the hi-lift, I have a Lift-mate that works well on the wheels, and with the ARB bumper & receiver hitch coming that should provide additional jack points, but I've always wondered if there was a way to weld tabs to a decent location on the frame...

As far as which jack to get, I picked the hi-lift as it can double as a hand winch with chains and straps, or as a large clamp for repairs. There is someone here (cant remember who) who uses a small floor jack with the wheels taken off and a plate attached to the bottom to keep it from sinking in mud/sand. It would be lighter and easier to get in the back I think

Incusus

Adventurer
January mods

After a slight *ahem* (ok... severe...) delay, The following has been performed.

Installed:
TOD 4-HI modification.

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm?id=109&4-HI_conversion_for_TOD_equipped_Isuzus

Despite worries about functionality and compatability, this mod works as advertised.

As much as I appreciate the TOD unit, after driving it in the Ohio winter I think it should be called "torque slightly after demand". This mod has saved my rear end more than once.

If you decide to do the mod, check the pinouts for your year Trooper, and doublecheck your connections. Borg-Warner transfer case computers are rare now ( and stock, they were something like $1700...)

* Other mods: Completed wood roof rack, Magellan hard wire power & COM cabling, Tripp-Light 375W (600W max) inverter dash mount. Detailed write-up soon.

robertdarin

Adventurer
nice trooper

I like what you have done so far, i have a 2000 with almost the same suspension. Do you have axels out of somthing bigger? I thought all the Troopers from that era came with the 12 bolt in the rear and the 10 bolt up front.

Incusus

Adventurer
robertdarin said:
I like what you have done so far, i have a 2000 with almost the same suspension. Do you have axels out of somthing bigger? I thought all the Troopers from that era came with the 12 bolt in the rear and the 10 bolt up front.

No, these are stock axles. To my knoledge, the '99 Troop' came with the 16 rear G80 /12 front w/ TOD. please correct me if I'm wrong :oops:

Thanks for the compliment! I'm working hard on getting this back on track, but the recent jump in gas prices seriously crimped my upgrade track :(

Major revisions in the roof rack / storage dept. are coming....
:arabia:

Incusus

Adventurer
bigreen505 said:
Nope, 10/12. Don't worry, they are beefy enough unless you are doing stupid human tricks.

Hah! you learn something new every day :) Thanks for clarifying that!

SuperTrooper

Observer
98 and up Troopers have the 'Modified 12 bolt' rear axle. It is beefier than the older 12 bolt with 1.5? inch axle shafts; supposed to be comparable to a Dana 60. The downside is that you can't regear or find lockers for it except for the ARB air locker.

robertdarin

Adventurer
it is true you can not find any lockers but the arb for the modified 12 bolt but if you really want, i believe the regular twelve bolt's 3rd member is compatible with the rest of the axel and independent 4x has an aussie for it.:)....also for clerification the 12 bolt count refers to the bolt count on the ring gear, not the pumpkin (mabee this is why you thought it was 16. don't know, just a thought)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior