plug and play solar.

matt s

Explorer
The are a wide range of options for setting up a camper or rig with all sorts of custom solar options to meet ones needs. However it seems to require advanced degrees, sorcery, and some plain old mojo to figure it all out. It almost seems like a hobby unto itself.

What have people found that is more of a plug and play setup?

For instance I have 12' camper trailer with a single deep cycle that powers a few little items and lights. I usually just hook up a charger overnight before we go and that is more than enough for a weekend. However I would love to mount something on the roof that would keep it topped off and ready and replace some of the expended energy while out and about.

So you would need a panel and a controller/charger to monitor the battery and not overcharge. Is there an all in one kit that is decent quality and output. This is weekend warrior stuff not extended travel, for that I would invoke the solar wizards for an ideal solution.

Disclaimer, I do know I can tie into the vehicle and charge while running but I would rather have a passive system.

Hudson

Hudson
When I first started looking at solar, I might have agreed that it was confusing. But after reading a lot of posts, I think it is pretty basic. Read the sticky posts which do a good job of showing the hook ups and gear options.

For pure plug and play, Goal Zero or one of the Powerline foldable panels seems to be a great solution. It's pricey for what you get, though. You can just as easily buy a single 100-135 watt solar panel and a Morningstar controller, plus wires, for $250-350, and wire it directly to your battery. Then figure out how you want to mount or transport it. On ebay,there are some briefcase style folding panels. See the sticky for details.

For me, I bought the National Luna Portable Power Pack, and will add a panel and a controller, and place all of the above in an aluminum ATV box, and use some kind of mounting system.

You need a decent panel. A decent controller. And some means of attaching to your

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles