Second Spare tire--The why and why not?- US based

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I have a second spare tire and rim, but it is slightly different sized, but functional in a pinch and I don't know that I would ever carry it or need it. snip...

I have a very similar set-up with my 4Runner. For a while I carried two spares, then didn't. I rarely seem to have tire trouble, but flat tires are the most common breakdown. Last year during a week long trip with several others I sliced a sidewall and was only carrying one spare. The only other guy running 33s (same bolt pattern too) had cut a sidewall and used his spare on the first day.

After needing your spare, it's a very nice feeling to have one more in reserve. Since I have a place for it under the car, it's only a matter of the extra weight. On my pickups, I don't have room for a second spare (no swing-away) and never plan to add one.

colodak

Adventurer
Really depends on tire size. I always carry one, recently put new tires and wheels on mine. I found that my new tire size may not be as readily available in some places as the old one. Hence, I will have two, alwasy carry one and keep the other on hand to take depending on where I go.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
I only carry one spare, but I also have OBA and a second small back up compressor and carry valve stems, a valve stem tool, plugs, and ether to reseat a bead. I need to get some patches.

Last edited:
With a tube, patch kit, a propane torch and the know how you'll be able to fix some mighty large sidewall gashes. Do while it may not be highway worthy it would still get you back to town. Fixing the tire should be the first choice though, not swapping in the spare. Save that for the trip home once you don't think that fixing the other is feasible anymore. Too many people just change them out and hope not to do it again. Be sure you don't forget the ether either;)

stevo

Observer
Carry two spares?

Several years ago I was in some far off spot in Arizona when a very sharp piece of scree cut a large gash in the sidewall of my 31-10.50x15 radial. As luck would have it, I was on a one track road going up the face of a mountain to check out a mine. Since the road was so narrow, I had to proceed about 1/4 mile to find a relatively level spot so as to put on my spare. I still had about another mile of scree covered switchbacks to go before reaching the mine. All the way back down I was very apprehensive about making it out without any more problems which, fortunately, I didn't run into. Ever since then, I've been a firm believer in carrying two spares. I suppose that if you go out in a group and another member of that group has a compatable spare you would probably be OK. Me, I often go out as a single vehicle and I now drive a Pinzgauer so trying to find a compatable spare could be difficult.
Cheers, Stevo

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Picked up a rasp/stitch tool and various sized radial patches from Napa today and a tire spoon from harbor freight.

also a junk tire and wheel so I can practice stitching and patching and breaking the tire down by hand.

matt marquardt

Adventurer
Can there be any doubt that two spares is a good idea when travelling to very remote places? That way you can focus on repairing one while the other is in service.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Can there be any doubt that two spares is a good idea when travelling to very remote places? That way you can focus on repairing one while the other is in service.

I don't think there is much argument about carrying two spares being a good idea, but I do think having the space/capacity to carry two spares is a challenge for most vehicles. The exception might be a pickup with a mostly empty bed, running a moderate, OE size tire. It's not as common as it once was, but I still see a fair number of mining, forestry, and other commercial pickups with two spares mounted in the open bed.

downhill

Adventurer

Actually, it would be better to carry 4 spares. Like everything we load into the rig, it's a question of whether that space is best used for that, and also whether the added stress presented by the weight is offset by the potential value of the item. It is situational. I could easily justify pulling a trailer full of parts, lubricants, tires, tools, maybe even a portable garage to work in. For me, part of the challenge and satisfaction is seeing how little I can carry and how well I can manage. It is not foreseeing every eventuality and carrying every possible fix. It's accepting some risk and challenge.

I started backpacking when I was 14. My very first 5 day trip was carrying a homemade pack frame loaded with 70 pounds of crap. I weighed 120. It was a bitter lesson in excess. Since then I have learned that the greatest comfort and the greatest security comes from a self reliant spirit and a light pack. My 5 day pack today weighs 19.3 pounds including food, shelter, and 2 liters of water. Weight is a silent enemy to man and machine.

I'm currently looking for ways to reduce my vehicle load, not find justifications for adding more. That's just my personal mindset.

zimm

Expedition Leader
ive used the arb plug kit more than once and the spare more than once.

id say two spares in the US is a bit pretender.

funny thing is, i never had a flat that i could plug until after i bought the plug kit. bad voodoo.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm away from syphilization, I'll take two. Nearer, I leave the extra at home.
I also have a plug kit a patch kit, and a spare inner tube.

gabepari

Explorer
A couple of trips to DV in my 1/2 ton Chevy (2wd), I took 5 spares :) I had a full set of extra wheels and tires in the garage, didn't need the space in the bed of the truck, SO I figured WTH :)

Didn't need a single one, BUT I think the extra weight in the bed helped smooth out the washboard on Racetrack Road!

If given the option, I would much rather change a tire than fix a tire. Unless I have Martyn with me, then HE can fix the tire all he wants :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles