2004 Dodge/Diesel/Utility Bed/Skamper-Modifications

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
And here are a few from our first trip of the year to the Eastern Sierras. My friend John's Chevy with a new Palomino, and me and my son with a stringer full of trout from Upper Virginia Lake.

June1.JPG

June2.JPG

June5.JPG

June3.JPG

June4.JPG

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That's a nice set up you have TB! I like the photos of the recovery gear and tools. Everything looks well broken in. Most pics of people's gear shows it all brand new and shiny.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
ToolBox Guy,

I've been wanting to put our older Apache popup on a utility bed for years. Your's looks great. I've located a used low profile box that will fit on my 2500 HD longbed.

Question: I see how you have the front of the camper attached to the bed in your photos. What about the rear? Did you bolt the camper thru the floor or did you do something else?

I haven't decided if I'm going thru with it yet (actually the CFO hasn't decided if she will allow me to), but if I am allowed it would be nice to get some ideas on how to attach it. We do use the truck and camper off road alot.

Thanks,

Cliff

bob91yj

Resident **************
Damn I love that set up. A utility bed has been on the back burner for a couple of years for me. Every time I see this truck it moves a little closer to the front!

blue dog

Adventurer
utility bed

The pop up with the utility bed is the perfect setup in my eyes. Curious what the truck weighs with the utility bed and pop up ? how does she drive down the highway ?

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
The low profile utility bed I've had my eye on weighs approx 800/900 lbs. My popup camper wet weight is 1400 (at least that's what the camper sticker says. Overly optimistic, I'm sure). Once I get all my junk loaded I'd be right at my max weight (truck door sticker says 2986 lbs max payload).

blue dog

Adventurer
bed

I have been keeping my eye out for used utility beds, butt, yet to come across a low profile one that does not have flip up tool box's on top. Really, the low profile beds are few and far between. Just not in the cards to have one built right now. Talked to a company called ctec that said they will build me what ever i want, but after paint, best price was $ 6000.00

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
I feel your pain. The low profile I've located has the flip top, which is not needed, but since it's used and a good price I can work around it if I decide to go that route. It's a used ctec in pretty good shape, and would work fine for me. Blue dog - Are you looking for a long or short bed utility box?

blue dog

Adventurer
I am looking for a long bed, My new truck is a regular cab long bed, 09 ram 2500. My current ram is for sale, but only a few nibbles so far. I want to do exactly what was done in this thread for going to Baja. I notice in your sig, palomar mountains, i was just down in Valley center last week, That Pauma Valley sure is a pretty place, would not mind living there at all.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
We look down on Pauma Valley/Valley Center from up here, we're at 5300 feet looking West. Yeah, it's nice.

If I decide not to invest in the used utility bed I can point you in that direction, if you like. I just discovered today that our well is not working. Might have to sink some dough in that all-important project and put the truck on the back burner. Well company is coming out tomorrow to have a look-see. I'll go from there.

I've also been wondering how the long bed utility box would look. ToolBox Guy and others have short beds. Looks very proportional. Not sure if the long bed would look as good.

I hope I didn't get too off track here.

Last edited:

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
That's a nice set up you have TB! I like the photos of the recovery gear and tools. Everything looks well broken in. Most pics of people's gear shows it all brand new and shiny.

LOL! It gets used from time to time.

ToolBox Guy,

I've been wanting to put our older Apache popup on a utility bed for years. Your's looks great. I've located a used low profile box that will fit on my 2500 HD longbed.

Question: I see how you have the front of the camper attached to the bed in your photos. What about the rear? Did you bolt the camper thru the floor or did you do something else?

I haven't decided if I'm going thru with it yet (actually the CFO hasn't decided if she will allow me to), but if I am allowed it would be nice to get some ideas on how to attach it. We do use the truck and camper off road alot.

Thanks,

Cliff

The rear of the camper is attached with the identical attachments as the front, I have pictures somewhere.

Damn I love that set up. A utility bed has been on the back burner for a couple of years for me. Every time I see this truck it moves a little closer to the front!

Like wise, your truck and camper combo is one of the ones that pushed me into getting a pop-up.

The pop up with the utility bed is the perfect setup in my eyes. Curious what the truck weighs with the utility bed and pop up ? how does she drive down the highway ?

Not exactly sure on the weight, I need to check that out though. The truck drives like a dream, fully loaded with wife, kids, and 4 days of gear, I hardly notice it going down the road. Off road, it gets noticeable. Next Mojave Road trip will be done at a way slower pace.

I have been keeping my eye out for used utility beds, butt, yet to come across a low profile one that does not have flip up tool box's on top. Really, the low profile beds are few and far between. Just not in the cards to have one built right now. Talked to a company called ctec that said they will build me what ever i want, but after paint, best price was $ 6000.00

Price has went up considerably. When I bought this Pacific about 4 years ago, custom ordered low profile short box was $3,000.00 painted.

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
More modifications....Finally.

Viair Super Duty on board air system. Not super impressed with this yet. It is, I believe the highest output compressor you can get from Viair, but it is lacking for things like air mattresses, and inflatable boats. Maybe I am asking too much from it, but it seems to me that there should be a bypass/ball valve that lets you fill from the compressor with out it having to fill the tank first. I am a little uneducated with compressors, I need to look more into it.

Viair2.JPG

Viair1.JPG

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
I am also currently working on a swing out tire carrier/rack combo that will mount to the utility bed, and also mount to the back of the camper because it sticks out 13" past the truck bed.

swingout-2.jpg

swingout-1.jpg

blue dog

Adventurer
nice

I love this build. It is the perfect combination for me, utility bed to store all the stuff that goes along with an adventure, camper, cummins engine, solid front axle, all around great combo. One day i will be traveling down a dirt road in Baja to a secluded beach in a adventure rig built very similar to this. I am going regular cab long bed with a 6 speed stick ram.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne