Jiro's diesel Xterra

xkid

Adventurer
Then we will live through you and your rig.
I have thought about it but I don't know if I could make it affordable (cheap work yields cheap results and planning in my opinion). I still have the extra diesel/trans, so I may experiment that idea if someone wants a conversion done, but when I finish my personal conversion is when I will consider that idea. I have extremely high standards and expectations for myself, and if those are met I will sell the complete conversion to someone that wants to do it (preferably someone local). Don't kid me wrong or anything, but I love to do this as a business. I just wouldn't know how to start something like that.

skibum315

Explorer
Cool project ... I'll admit though, I couldn't ID the motor. Is it a Nissan unit? I'll be watching where this goes ...

Also, FWIW, your thread here popped up over on The New X (www.thexterra.org) ... so you're making the rounds.

roninjiro

Explorer
Then we will live through you and your rig.

It is still possible you won't have to. I have the other engine tranny combo, and if we have someone else that is brave enough to drop off the truck and let me convert it over, I can use what I charged to buy 2 more diesel setups and keep going from there. But in doing that I would only be able to work it weekends and actually buy a house so there is no commute to work on the trucks. Also if I tackle swaps on full time, I would have to charge what I need to survive (hourly rate or some type of flat rate) and leave my current job. It is not hard for me to leave my job, but I just have to make it worthwhile.

roninjiro

Explorer
Cool project ... I'll admit though, I couldn't ID the motor. Is it a Nissan unit? I'll be watching where this goes ...

Also, FWIW, your thread here popped up over on The New X (www.thexterra.org) ... so you're making the rounds.

It is indeed a Nissan and used in older foreign pathfinders (TD27T2). It feels good to know that my story is spreading, but 100hp is plenty for me and some of the guys out in aussie land at least. The first drive will tell me if it will be enough to be honest, so we will see :coffee:

nasko

Adventurer
If I were a bit closer, I would for sure try to utilize your skills :) Too bad shipping the truck back and forth would add a lot to the cost of a swap

roninjiro

Explorer
Food for thought:
original vehicle had a rated top speed of 93mph and weighed in at around 3900lbs.

auto gearing in the diesel and gas transmissions are the same, as well as stall revolutions (torque converter and valve body is different though).

the only things that makes the the two different are: torque converter, bell housing, factory hd skid plate, stock wire harness, and the neutral switch.

I forgot to even look in the factory service manuals i have lol (to know the exact ratios, shift schedules, torque lock up, and vehicle speeds at shifts)

EDIT:
All you manual guys... the transmission is the exact same (same part number, gear ratios...etc) as you have on your 3.3's. the only mandatory difference would have to be the belhousing

Last edited:

timh

Explorer
Glad to see someone make the conversion. I love my Xterra and I think it would do great with that engine. Not sure I could take the leap though.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk

roninjiro

Explorer
Let me tell you.... it was a hell of a leap!! I guess you can say it is like investing in the stock market and hoping it all works out. I will not lie, it is not cheap to just "try out". But I will tell you this; the toyota guys have it much worse.... their initial cost is almost double what mine is, and I want to say their fab work may be a bit more involved (hence the $15k+ conversion cost by a shop out in San Antonio). All that want to possibly tackle the swap may want to wait until I figure out whatever bugs my pop up and I can post solutions.

roninjiro

Explorer
It has arrived!!! now I gotta go get my argon tank, filler metal, more tungsten and wire it up!!! WOOT

420299_10151342475590564_875395563_23227492_1196410987_n.jpg

420974_10151342476450564_875395563_23227494_2123957706_n.jpg

roninjiro

Explorer
Well... I am going to be moving soon, so that will slow me down. But the plans with the TIG unit are as follows:
1.Mock up and fab the engine mounts
2.Fab a vacuum manifold

Eventually:
1. Fab up a bolt on rear hidden winch mount or fab some HD front and rear bumpers.
2. Camper conversion (in ideas phase)

Last edited:

roninjiro

Explorer
little update, I have been in the moving process and have not had a chance to touch the truck. I have however reviewed all wiring schematics and know what I will be modifying. I still have not had time to make the new motor mounts, but have ordered and received the steel stock I needed. When time permits guys... when time permits...

also my other bogging task lately is rebuilding this sti engine and ordering parts and it is dam*ed expensive! this rebuild also takes priority over the xterra build, as this will fund the xterra project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne