All previous mods and few stock parts

To/do or Wish list!
Fan shroud
A/T tires
HAM system
Better suspension
ABLS
Tachometer (make it work)
camper conversion (use your imagination)

LINKS

Start of the conversion HERE

Engine mounts, wire harness work, test fitting, fuel filter/oil filter bracket making, and lower coolant pipe construction HERE

Running, and driving videos HERE, more HERE

Washed pictures, more test driving but in a follow car, and F/R bumper install HERE

3K miles later a Photo OP, Trail testing, and balancer replacements HERE

Latest pictures click HERE

Wheeltober Fest HERE

Part numbers List HERE

STOCK:
l_e5c87a99be4a4c04c87cb6baff1046a0.jpg

PML,STEP AND MUDFLAP REMOVAL:
DSCF0111.JPG

NEW SHOES AND CUSTOM ROCKSLIDERS:
DSCN5695.JPG

AC 3" LIFT W/ REVOLVERS:
DSCF0010.JPG

THE ORIGINAL (IN STOCK BUMPER) WINCH MOUNT:
DSCF0008.JPG

RTT:
drivesidego.jpg

NISMO CATBACK:
DSC00009.JPG

NEW SHOES AND SNORKEL:
IMG_2467.JPG

BEFORE THE ENGINE PULL:
jiroxterra.jpg

And How it sits now
297062_10152012557585564_1541128488_n.jpg

483981_10151888286635564_1117412549_n.jpg

319447_10151880021080564_1606304091_n.jpg

Last edited:

jingram

Adventurer
This will be interesting to see... Nissan offered a factory diesel in that generation of xterra in Brasil. That being said, I get the feeling you are NOT putting an OE diesel in, lol. What size are those new shoes of yours? Those wheels in those second shots... repainted stock steelies??

roninjiro

Explorer
This will be interesting to see... Nissan offered a factory diesel in that generation of xterra in Brasil. That being said, I get the feeling you are NOT putting an OE diesel in, lol. What size are those new shoes of yours? Those wheels in those second shots... repainted stock steelies??

When I finally get it all mounted up properly I will post pics and say what it is. Wheels are stock black steelies wrapped with mud terrain 235/85/16 treadwrights.

Slicky72

Adventurer
I always dream about putting a coal burner in my rig. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Love your truck with the skinny tires by the way!

roninjiro

Explorer
I always dream about putting a coal burner in my rig. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Love your truck with the skinny tires by the way!

I doesn't have to stay a dream, when you see what I put in it and see that the mounting, fitment, and capability of wiring to the stock system isn't too bad you may reconsider. thnx for the kind words!

nasko

Adventurer
Wow, I am definitely interested to see what happens with this project. Always wanted to put a diesel in my Xterra. Wondering what mileage you will get out of her. Are you changing the transmission as well? Good luck with it. Cheers

roninjiro

Explorer
Wow, I am definitely interested to see what happens with this project. Always wanted to put a diesel in my Xterra. Wondering what mileage you will get out of her. Are you changing the transmission as well? Good luck with it. Cheers

Yes I will be; IIRC the gearing is different for the diesel transmissions due to the lower rpm's vs the higher revving 3.3 gasoline transmission. It would only make sense in my head as you can only adjust the gearing in the differentials so much before you run out of case space. The only way I would know for sure is to pull the casing numbers on both transmission and find out the ratios for all gears.

nasko

Adventurer
I thought so, I so hope it works out for you. I love the truck, I think it is quite under rated for an expo build compared with the rest and a nice, economical and solid diesel will make it that much better.

roninjiro

Explorer
Yeah I feel the same way, it to me is plenty capable as any other typical expo vehicle and has proven itself in different terrain and weather time and time again with only one hiccup (overheated). Not to mention we (wife and I) am in "love" with my xterra we have. I am hoping the swap goes as planned (so far so good) and once we get a couple of thousand miles on it we will convert over to a selectable part time veggie system.

nasko

Adventurer
I keep checking back to see what engine you are using :))
I did a few searches a while ago about a diesel swap and it seems that you are the first to do it. Other than the diesel Xterra's that were sold in Brazil and Argentina I could not find anything relevant and I could not find much info on those engines either.

Do you have any mpg expectations?

roninjiro

Explorer
lol, I had a feeling some would be pressed to know what it is going into the xterra and if anyone has done it. I don't know of anyone that has done it, but I think I may be the first to document and do the conversion. All I can do as far as mpg expectations is go off of similar vehicles with the same engine, weight, and similar gear configurations... which yielded around 30mpg average. With that kind of mileage, I think I can rest easy.

roninjiro

Explorer
Update on the truck, it is running now but still need the TIG unit to fab up the chassis side mounts, because both mounts had to be cut off the frame. Another hint... I love the turbo whistle . I am thinking of posting pic but I dunno if I still wanna wait or not. Anyhow I still have a/c, chassis to engine wiring, engine mounts, throttle linkage/cruise control, radiator hoses, radiator shroud, and full exhaust to worry about. Another thing slowing me down is I can only make time 2-3 days a week for the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz