25 Year Import Rule to CA

boozewz

Observer
I'm thinking of importing a 1982 fJ45 Troopy to CA from Saudi Arabia, and I cant seem to find any info on the 25 year rule for CA. It seems clear that most states allow 25 yr old vehicles to be imported, titled and registered with no modifications required, whilst for CA its not as clear. Does CA just require a catalytic converter and you're good to go? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

addicted56

Adventurer
Let me know when you find out. I have imported a couple of vehicles into Oakland but I registered them in Oregon.

Patman

Explorer
As far as DOT is concerned the 25 year rule applies.

There is however no longer a rolling 25 year exemption for smog. The smog exemption is 75 and older only.

So if its gas, you'll need all the smog equipment from a vehicle with the same engine of the same year.

If its diesel, no worries!

boozewz

Observer
Thanks Patman

Its got a petrol 2F motor.

So technically I could buy a smog kit from Specter, install it, and that should get it titled and plated?

Patman

Explorer
Should be able.

Good bet to call your local CARB Referee and they will be able to clarify. I have found that they are normally very helpful.

I'm you might not have to fully convert it to ca specs for smog. It would be the same as if an out of state car is brought into ca. You are only required to pass smog for out of state levels. You don't have to put all the ca crap on it if it's not an original ca car.

But this could be incorrect info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles