Kia Borrego?

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
I could only find one other thread on the Kia Borrego that started in 2008 just as it was introduced that petered out after news of its early demise broke. We are probably going to be purchasing one by the end of the month. As someone else here pointed out, resale values took a big hit because of this, and as a result, the pricey Borrego is now very reasonable to purchase as a used vehicle. Certified Pre-Owned Borregos (carrying the balance of the factory 10/100 powertrain warranty, 5/60 bumper to bumper warranty) here with 4WD, 260HP V6, and some nice amenities are going for between $18-20K. For us, the Borrego will be a mommy mobile (we have one child now, but since we plan to have more the 3rd row seat was a big plus)/grocery getter during the week, and expedition vehicle on the weekends. We had looked at the first generation Sorentos, which are similar in design but smaller and ultimately decided that since we intend to keep the vehicle at least as long as the powertrain warranty lasts (until 2019 for a 2009), that it would be wise to get something larger now. Obviously its not a hardcore off-road vehicle, but it should do just fine for getting to some of the more out of the way destinations here in the Northeast while seating five and a 70lb Chocolate Lab comfortably. My only planned modifications are better/slightly larger tires (the Hankook All Seasons they come with are junk) and possibly attempting to find a steel 16" wheel that will fit. I might even be able to sell the alloy 17s with the tires on them and fund the whole project. 17" tires are just too damn expensive. Other mods include a great Oz made hitch carrier that a member here recommended to me and a decent roof rack. This way I figure we can keep our gear out of the vehicle and give the dog and the kids room to spread out.

The Borrego is a really interesting vehicle-it's a vehicle that I wish Toyota made, quite frankly. I started looking at Korean cars because of the warranty, not because of some burning desire to own one. I do all of our regular maintenance and whatever repairs I'm capable of, but with a new baby, more responsibility at work, etc...I figured it would be good to own something with a warranty to fall back on so that if a transmission goes or an alternator craps out on it it won't mean me working on it until all hours of the night in order to get it fixed before my wife has go to work the next day. When she gets the Borrego I will get her Corolla (160K on the clock and still ticking), my F-350 will be sold to fund the Borrego, and my 1991 Toyota Pickup will remain as my beater, firewood hauler, hunting rig, off-roader. I really wanted a 4Runner, but all things being equal to the Borrego, it's just too much money. You can't touch a certified pre-owned 2009 4Runner with less than 30K miles for under $25-26K around here. So, I'll give the Korean upstart a chance with a vehicle that IMHO, they killed too early. I think if they had pressed on with the 1st generation Sorento and the Borrego there's a chance they could have drawn in the same demographic that loves the FJ Cruiser, Pathfinder, Xterra, and others. Anyway, I look forward to posting some pics once we take it on some trips out this way in the Spring. Maybe I'll be the only ExPo member who owns one?

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing. The Borrego was a casualty of the run-up in gas prices. The body on frame construction makes the vehicle sturdy, but heavier than the unit body, car-based SUVs in Kia's line. The Borrego is Kia's answer to the 4Runner, and it continues to be sold in other parts of the world. Good call on the certified vehicle. I don't think the 10 year, 100k mile warranty transfers to a new owner if the vehicle is purchased from a private party.

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing. The Borrego was a casualty of the run-up in gas prices. The body on frame construction makes the vehicle sturdy, but heavier than the unit body, car-based SUVs in Kia's line. The Borrego is Kia's answer to the 4Runner, and it continues to be sold in other parts of the world. Good call on the certified vehicle. I don't think the 10 year, 100k mile warranty transfers to a new owner if the vehicle is purchased from a private party.

Yes, the only way to get the balance of the warranty is to buy CPO through a dealer-it's a money maker for the dealers for sure, but it's good peace of mind. Most vehicles I've looked at only have about 25K miles on them, so there's 35K left on the 5 year/60K bumper to bumper (covers everything but the powertrain) and 75K on the 10/100 powertrain warranty. Given how little my wife drives during the week I'm sure we'll hit the time limits on the warranty before the mileage. At that point if its still in good shape and running strong maybe I'll start to really have some fun with it :D Also, I don't think I mentioned that the V6 (260 HP/260 LB-FT) model will tow 5000lbs, so I could also build a heck of a camping trailer for it. Most likely I'll just be hauling firewood from time to time.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I remember the Borrego when it came out and I thought it was a very cool looking vehicle. It kind of looks like a giant Forester. Nice colors, too (one of the colors I see is a kind of deep orange - nice to see when you see so many bland and boring black, white and gray 4runners!)

Only thing I don't like about the Borrego is the IRS. To me that kills it as a serious off road vehicle (and yes, I know the military HMMWV has IRS but it also has 37" tires.)

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
Only thing I don't like about the Borrego is the IRS. To me that kills it as a serious off road vehicle (and yes, I know the military HMMWV has IRS but it also has 37" tires.)

Sure-I agree. I think that the Borrego could have been a more serious off-road vehicle had they developed it more. In the meantime, it will suit our needs and do what we need it to do. With a good set of ATs (or maybe even MTs) I'm very interested to see what it can do. Regardless, it's not really going to see much more than badly maintained gravel roads, snow, and a muddy washout now and then. One of our favorite lakes is at the end of a poorly maintained mountain road that is usually in bad shape when it reopens in the Spring due to runoff. Once the road has been graded and filled in you can navigate it in a 2WD provided you have decent tires and ground clearance, but when its washed out most people won't try it. We like to go up there on the nice days in early May to beat the crowds.

I also liked the look from the start as well-it does cut a much different profile (especially in that Copperhead color) than your average SUV. I was thinking of getting some Korean market badges for it like this guy did and taking it one step further by either just removing the "Borrego" badge or replacing it with a "Mohave" (the version of the Borrego produced for non-US markets) badge. That would keep people guessing-one of the things I always loved about my old FJ-40 before I found a replacement Toyota badge for the grill was that people would say "What is that!?" :D

bob91yj

Resident **************
I worked at a KIA dealership when the Borrego came out...never did understand the name, especially in a Hispanic market. Borrego translates to ....sheep....and simpleton as the second definition. It's a shame the V-8 version never made it to the states.

borrego [bor-ray'-go, gah]
noun
1Lamb not yet a year old. (m & f)
2Simpleton, a soft, ignorant fellow. (Metaphorical) (m & f)
No hay tales borregos -> (Coll.) there is no evidence of its truth, there is not such a thing3Con, hoax (trampa); (Mex.) Lie, tall story (mentira). (Caribbean) (m & f)
noun, plural
4Fleecy clouds (nubes); white horses, foamy crests of waves.

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
I worked at a KIA dealership when the Borrego came out...never did understand the name, especially in a Hispanic market. Borrego translates to ....sheep....and simpleton as the second definition.

LOL...I've read that it's supposed to mean "Big Horned Sheep." Guess someone was stretching the truth a little on that one :p

It's a shame the V-8 version never made it to the states.

It actually did. I've come across a few in my search-it's got some pretty impressive numbers (upwards of 300 HP I believe and a nice torque figure), comes with a six speed automatic and can tow 7500lbs, but all other things being equal the V8s command about $4-5K more than the V6s. The V6 will suit us just fine-the ability to tow 5000lbs will do. Plus the gas consumption is slightly better especially if you keep your foot out of it-I'll have to work on that one with the wife :D On another note, supposedly the Mohave (non-US version which is still produced) had an available rear locker. That could be an interesting piece to add if you could find one that didn't cost an arm and a leg for the item or the shipping.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Didn't know the V-8 made it over here. My dealership was on the list to get some of them....any color we wanted as long as it was black!

huntoon

Adventurer
I think its named after the desert Anza Borrego. Lots of off road sports take l place there
. Also, sheep climb well.

I worked at a KIA dealership when the Borrego came out...never did understand the name, especially in a Hispanic market. Borrego translates to ....sheep....and simpleton as the second definition. It's a shame the V-8 version never made it to the states.

borrego [bor-ray’-go, gah]
noun
1Lamb not yet a year old. (m & f)
2Simpleton, a soft, ignorant fellow. (Metaphorical) (m & f)
No hay tales borregos -> (Coll.) there is no evidence of its truth, there is not such a thing3Con, hoax (trampa); (Mex.) Lie, tall story (mentira). (Caribbean) (m & f)
noun, plural
4Fleecy clouds (nubes); white horses, foamy crests of waves.

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
I think its named after the desert Anza Borrego.

LOL...when I first searched "Borrego" on this site I saw all of the Anza Borrego threads and thought WOW! Lots of Borrego owners here! :p That explanation does make sense since the nameplate used outside of North America is "Mohave." In any event, hopefully I'll be posting pics of ours at the end of the month :D

bob91yj

Resident **************
I think its named after the desert Anza Borrego. Lots of off road sports take l place there
. Also, sheep climb well.

I'm aware of that as well...for gringo's the name sounds fine, for people of Hispanic decent/Spanish speakers, it doesn't. They should have kept the Mojave name for the US market IMO. All a moot point since the vehicle didn't last very long.

iMTB

Adventurer
I really like these. I test drove a v8 model when they were released. The dealership had recently torn apart the back lot to repave it and the salesman let us take it out there. We drove it off the slab over a 5" drop and into wet mud, then back up the 5" climb to the slab. It was fun. I really like these things.

huntoon

Adventurer
in China

My buddy in China has a Borrego, badged as Borrego. So maybe China and America both got Borregos and the rest got Mojaves. BTW, his commute to work is an overland adventure everyday because of all the crazy drivers, crazy roadworks, and terrain.

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
My buddy in China has a Borrego, badged as Borrego. So maybe China and America both got Borregos and the rest got Mojaves. BTW, his commute to work is an overland adventure everyday because of all the crazy drivers, crazy roadworks, and terrain.

That sounds interesting! I can only imagine what kinds of overlanding opportunities there are in western part of China... Well the truck (2003 F-350) has been sold :( but a new chapter begins... I should be posting pictures of the new Borrego in about two weeks. I hated to get rid of my 7.3L but it was the right decision for my family. Someday I'll find an old service or fleet cab/chassis crew cab with a 7.3L to build up, but in the meantime I think the Borrego will serve us well with it's seating and towing capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier