917af pictures so far

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I had enough of driving overloaded 3.5t and 7.5t van and so found a merc 1823 with a 5m box on the back. The box is small and the GVW is high and so I can pretty much put what I want in the back and not have to worry about weight. It's a relief after plenty of overheated brakes, broken leaf springs, burnt clutches, etc. The 18t GVW comes with other problems but being overloaded is thankfully not one of them!

canals1164

Observer
Oh we really pushed the boat out we got road legal and drove about 100miles to see relatives parked in the farm yard and drank to much wine! On the way back the glass fuel filter bowl came loose and we had a small moment. I cant remember why I had taken it off or why I then failed to tighten it back up. Any way not really what I needed with a bit of a head ache this morning.
Truck went well, commercial trucks here are speed limited to 56 mph so we were able to get past them and it cruises very well at 60 -62 so all in all very pleased,

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I have two Facet electric pumps for my twin tanks so I can transfer fuel between the two through water traps and filters. It will also makes bleeding the fuel system a breeze. I have the same set-up on my Discovery, when I change the fuel filters, i just switch on the pump, open up the bleed screws and wait for the fuel to come out. Much better than pumping by hand

canals1164

Observer
Have been messing with frame to take bike, I was going to make lift with winch but for the moment I have fitted a simple frame and ramp. It will be ok for this summer and at least it will mean we have bike with us for the next few trips.IMG_0629.jpg

johnbrooks

Hi. I am very impressed! Strangely I saw your truck from a photo sent to us by Neil from Coldsaver Panels. Been trying to track you down. I am building something similar on a 1124AF currently at Able Vehicles in Shepshed - they have been excellent and so far prepared the chassis and torsion mounts. Panels ordered from Coldsaver. But.. I am stuck on a few bits, you mentioned wheels in an earlier post and a few other bits. Would it be possible to speak to you some time and pick your brains? John 07802 754 320

canals1164

Observer
We have signed up for the adventure overland show which is at Wilton. Not very overland or adventurous as it can only be 5 miles from home! Are any other members attending?

LukeH

Adventurer
Nice! All you need to do is change the wheels and tyres now. Very intrigued by your "gangway" boarding equipment. Still pondering on that one for mine (among other things)
Funny to see my old truck there; the ugly yellow Daily 4x4 coachbuilt in the background of your last pic. Unmistakeable. Had it for 10 years.

canals1164

Observer
will change to super singles wheels and tyres but need to get the dvla to accept as camper first. That is why pictures are all of our truck with similar campers, we are sending them to Swansea to hopefully get change of use on V5.
strange but the v5 is becoming the most stressfull part of the whole project.

LukeH

Adventurer
It's kind of uncertain. Maybe they'll call you in for inspection, maybe not. Don't stress on it; for a while I followed the SBMCC forum and people got much less professional builds through without even inspection.
If you're called to Swansea for inspection it's more likely that it's because an enthusiast in the DVLA wants to admire it!
Just be happy you're not trying to register the change of use in France!

canals1164

Observer
Motor Caravan

Its taken since last may but we have finaly got the DVLA to agree the truck is a Camper Van. this means we can carry on with the MOT as a camper. More importantly we are now able to change the wheels and down rate to 7.5t with a lot more ease. It apears that the DVLA are not happy to register vehicles as Camper Vans, I dont know why but if any body else is trying I would recomend you take the time to speak to your local DVLA office inspectors.
Off to the pub to celebrate!!

canals1164

Observer
IMG_0427[2].jpgIMG_0428[1].jpg
At last we now have wheels fitted. They have greatly improved the ride and the increase in speed. The sat nav records 100km/hr at 2000 rpm, this should make for very relaxed motorway driving. At the moment we have 100mm offset on front wheels and none on the back, this means the tyres run within the body at the rear but we have a wider track at the front. It looks good but I don't know if having the rear 200mm narrower will cause any issues. The only down side I can see is that it means they are not interchangeable, not an issue at the moment as I will be using one of the old wheels as a very temporary spare and carrying a new tyre.
We used Bridgestone B748 as they are available as an all position 120km/h rough terrain tyre, I have used 60psi in them and this looks about right!!

canals1164

Observer
I have fitted solar panels today, I have bought 3 250w panels and a 150v mppt charge controler to the 24v battery bank. All bought of eBay with sundries I think just over £600. We idi have some sunshine today and it was putting in 8a so it should work well. image.jpgimage.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles