Morocco by Mog, a few months overlanding

BajaBus

Adventurer
Very, very interesting! What an amazing place to be. Please keep the updates coming! Checking the blog out now...

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Maps and Journals - the old fashioned way - and a Question

I know loads of folk love their toys, and none more than me. I love to have a decent gps and a good stereo in whatever vehicle I drive. However, my navigator is in charge of all things navigational, so has decided on maps.

MERV2727.jpg

And I dont blame her. You just cannot beat the look of a well used map.

MERV2789.jpg

And while we're at it, this blogging lark may not catch on, we may be sticking with the Journals:

MERV2768.jpg

So, on to my question. How many folks have gone back over journals of trips they have been on? And how much detail do you record? We've posted up a couple of days worth of the Journal, it looks like this: I'm interested to know because we dont want to finish off 2 year travelling, then figure out we've not recorded some info we're interested in.

We have a separate simple log of daily mileage, fuel usage and service records.

Merv.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Hi,

Well, our Moroccan adventure is almost at and end. We've spent a pretty quiet couple of weeks travelling up the west coast to be ready to sail for Spain before out Visa's run out. We did take a detour to Marrakech which was well worth it. I'm not a very keen city person, but thought this was fun. The night market has to be experienced to be believed!

MERV3144.jpg

And the Souk (Markets) are like a maze, with just about anything you care to look for available somewhere. And most things delivered by Donkey or bicycle.

MERV3101.jpg

Somewhere in this tiny shop is my wife...
MERV3019.jpg

We've met some other overlanders, some with different priorities on what you might like to bring with you in your truck...
MERV2724.jpg

The local transport is almost always overloaded, even the rowing boats used as ferries.
IMG_6679.jpg

The next step in our trip is to spend a few months in Spain to learn Spanish. Then the big step - South America or Bust!

mervifwdc

Adventurer
We are back in Spain now, and have spent a few days looking back on our Moroccan Adventure. We've listed the highs and lows on our blog, but a few things are of specific interest to any 4x4 folks thinking of spending some time there.

1. Heavy duty 4x4 gear is only required on some routes, which can be bypassed. 80% of the places we went could be done in a 2wd vehicle, and 95% could be done in a stock 4x4. Some stuff pushed us a little, meaning we had to let the tyres down and engage all the lockers. We were paranoid about not getting stuck as we travelled alone, and unless we met another heavy truck, most vehicles were not going to be able to pull us out. Anyway, my point is, you can visit this country easily in any vehicle. Our photos are naturally going to be of the more extreme stuff, pics of flat roads are not that interesting!

2. Diesel is cheap, oil changes are possible, but bring your own filters. We changed the oil quite often (every 3000km). our average distance per day of driving was 110km. The max distance we did on any day was about 230km, but we had very few days we did over 200km. We were on the smaller roads and pistes as much as we could as they were prettier, but that meant driving slowly. Watch this in your planning!

3. Diesel is availble just about everywhere. The furthest we went without buying fuel was about 500km, and 5 days. For most vehicles, that's probably possible. With a bit of planning, you could have a shorter maximum distance without fuel.

4. Navigation can be tricky, be sure to have your maps and gps points all set up before you go.

5. wifi is hard to come by, and it's never all that fast. Buy a maroc telecom usb stick when you arrive, and for €20 or so, you'll have the web for a month.

More stuff on the blog post, but I'll just wrap up by saying it's an amazing country, with super people. Just go!

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Hi Merv,

That photo with the reflection in the mirror is fantastic, and all I could think of seeing the piano were two things: I hope it is well secured(!) and how on earth do they keep it tuned considering how much bouncing around it must do, even if always on roads! Good on them for focussing on obvious passions: surfing and music.

Regarding the journaling, I've been transcribing some of mine from a few years ago and whilst I love rereading them I am universally disappointed with myself for the lack of detail that I included. Lots of thoughts on local politics and emotions and adventures and the odd liaison, but startlingly little on the minutiae. I guess I never anticipated the degree with which the details would fade, so now I find myself looking at photos of people I travelled with or places I went and I struggle to recall the names and stories behind some of them. Obviously there is a limit to how much you can spend scrawling in a journal but for my next long travels I am definitely planning to be more diligent with the details even though it can become wearisome at the time.

A blog is for friends and family (and travel-starved adventure-voyeurs) to follow what you've been up to and that you are safe, the journal is what you will treasure in 20-30 years.

Cheers,
Humphrey

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Oh, and as a side thought, have you looked into doing/continuing your Spanish classes in South or Central America where they are generally much (much much) cheaper. I did classes on and off in both Cartagena de Indias (Colombia) and Quito that helped my communications considerably, and didn't leave me with a lithp (lisp). Many (most?) native Latino speakers chuckle at the continental pronunthiathion. :)

The quality was very good. If I go back I'd probably attend a school in Cusco next, just to give me an excuse to spend more time there.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
subscribed!

I kept a journal when backpacking in Europe for 2 months. Just a generic notebook. If I had a great story, I wrote it down, but mostly it listed my thoughts on features and sights, names of pubs, monuments and restaurants to visit again. Useful information, cost of goods, lots of stuff. I didn't really put down emotions.

My blog is for the people. Emotions, action. Sometimes talking it up to make it exciting even though it was a fire trail in the desert ;)

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Hi,

HumphreyBear: Good tip on the classes, we will most likely do some in SA, but we want to have enough Spanish to get into the country and feed ourselves till we get to a class :) Right now, we can order beer, some food, ask the price of things (but not understand all the possible answers, we're ok at stuff costing up to 9 euros....).

SWbySWesty: good way to look at the Journal.

I think we might need a bit more detail in the Journal, I hope to blog is pitched about right. I know some of the photos are probably not hard core travel / truck / gear related, but they are what we saw when traveling, so in they go!

MERV3919.jpg

Merv.

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
I hope to blog is pitched about right. I know some of the photos are probably not hard core travel / truck / gear related, but they are what we saw when traveling, so in they go!

I am enjoying your blog and thread as to me your reports are what ExPo is about. I don't care much for the build threads and weekend trips, though I do read them for ideas, but I come to ExPo for exactly what you guys are doing, so thank you. :)

Sirocco

Explorer
The windmill is much better in B&W Merv. Keep up the good work.

How are you finding posting all your bits in several places? is it time consuming? or have you managed to link most of them/cut and paste etc.

I noticed posts here/the hubb/D44/your blog/facebook... any I missed!? :)

Hope your both well.

G

mervifwdc

Adventurer
LOL, Yes, we do post about a bit. I know when we were researching to do the trip, and by research, I mean reading every scrap of info we could get our hands on from renting out the house, choosing a vehicle, choosing countries to visit, visas, money, health....

We've a few bits on Jupiters Travels, flickr, and a few Irish photography sites I'm a member of.

We write for each one separately, as each has a different audience, with different interests (or at least, I think they do!). And we dont write on each one all the time, I guess we should be a bit more structured in all of that.

Both doing fine, but caught a hiccup in the cooling system, and have a ruptured hose that needs fixing. Luckily we are in Madrid, which I'm sure I'll get everything I need. We can still drive as we've bypassed the leak, but we have no hot water in the camper.

Merv.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Well, we are now booked onto 2 different spanish courses as we've other things to fit in. Sarah is a major Tennis fan, and is heading off to Paris to watch some of the French open in Rolland Garros. So 2 separate shorted courses it is. We managed to arrange them in smaller rural locations where we can stay in our truck to keep the costs down.

We got to see some great stuff in Spain so far. in Madrid, they have some fantastic graffiti (as well as loads of serious stuff).

MERV4488.jpg

And unimogs for sale as photography tour buses (This is just south of Madrid)
IMG_0364.jpg

And really cool Dutch camping trucks.
MERV4828.jpg

Anyways, more photos over on the blog at www.moglander.com

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Hi folks,

As we're at the end of the first leg of our trip, I thought I'd do a quick update. We've travelled from Spain via France to Italy where we got some mechanical issues sorted, and from there via France to Luxemburg for some cheap diesel. After there we visited some friends in Belgium, and are now parked about 50 miles from Omaha beach in Normandy where the WWii landings were made.

We sail from Le Havre port in France to Montevideo in Uruguay next week, and it's about a 3 week trip so the next time we're online here we hope to be in South America, and a whole new chapter starts!

MERV9307.jpg
Merv.

www.moglander.com

So the Morocco thing caught my attention.........it's on my to do list. Now South America. Just subscribed since I love South America as well having been there (7) times. Be safe and look forward to more posts. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles