2005 Tacoma Mid-Travel Build

zeropresence

Make/Model: 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad Prerunner Doublecab
Tires: 285/75/16 BFG A/T
Front end: Fox Racing 2.5 internal bypass coilovers w/ remote reservoirs from a armored Hilux (was told only 2 sets were ever made). Just had this revalved for the truck by Fox. Fox Racing 2.0 bumps shorted to 2ins. Camburg UCA with 1.25'' uniballs.
Rear end: Allpro Expo 3'' Spring. King Racing Smooth Body 2.5x10'' (Revalved by Doug at Mirage Racing)
Fabricator: My brother Landon McQuestion
Future plans: Motor mounts, cage, custom front kit, boxed frame, roof rack/tent, front and rear bumpers.

Stock front end setup:
truckfront001.JPG

Stock coilover out:
truckfront002.JPG

Cutting off stock bumps:
truckfront003.JPG

UCA and bump in:
truckfront004.JPG

Fox C/O, UCA, bump in:
truckfront005.JPG

New spring and rebuild/revalve by Fox:
truckfront006.JPG

Bump:
truckfront007.JPG

Frontend finished:
truckfront008.JPG

Allpro Expos vs Stock:
truckrear001.jpg

Take 2:
truckrear002.jpg

Fox 2.0 vs King 2.5 Racing 10''
truckrear003.jpg

Cutting off stock shock mounts:
truckrear004.jpg

Cut off now grinding:
truckrear005.jpg

Shock mount on axle removed:
truckrear006.jpg

Doing work:
truckrear007.jpg

Plated the frame with 1/8" where the shock hoops will tie in:
truckrear008.jpg

Frame plating close up:
truckrear009.jpg

Cycling and deciding where the shocks will end up:
truckrear010.jpg

Shock hoop in place:
truckrear011.jpg

Finished shock setup:
truckrear012.jpg

It was a tight fit:
truckrear013.jpg

truckrear014.jpg

truckrear016.jpg

Extended brake lines:
truckrear017.jpg

truckrear018.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Looks good, nice work.

Question: You still have the same relative up and down travel on the rear, what are you hoping to gain with the new rear shock setup? Were the 2.0 Fox remote resi's not good enough?

zeropresence

Looks good, nice work.

Question: You still have the same relative up and down travel on the rear, what are you hoping to gain with the new rear shock setup? Were the 2.0 Fox remote resi's not good enough?

Hey this is Landon, zeropresence's brother and the fabricator of this truck.
To answer your question: I come from an offroad racing background and owned a fabrication shop for years. When it come to higher speed rough terrain valving, piston size and amount of shock fluid means way more than travel numbers. Right now his truck is pulling a clean 10" of travel compared to the stock 7 1/2" and I'm not talking articulation I am talking complete axle up and down. With this shock properly valved it will amaze you how it rides compared to an out of the box 2.0". Doug at Mirage did an amazing job on these shocks with the specifications I gave him. The biggest reason for doing this rear set up the way I did it was for the ability to to valve the shocks beyond what a bolt-in 2.0 is capable of and the be able to use then whole length of the travel of the shock. An out of the box bolt on shock of any size from any manufacturer is made to handle well on the street with off road handling as a after thought. Mounting to the stock locations does not allow you too make the most of the shock.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles