116,000 expedition miles in a Tiger Motorhome on a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

dare2go

Observer
I thought for some readers here this might be an interesting review:

Kathy and Rick Howe traveled in their Tiger Motorhome, the Traveling Tortuga, from Alaska to Patagonia in South America, through Europe and into Morocco - here's a review of their vehicle and problems with it during that time. Overall they're still happy with their choice.

Thanks for posting this..........very interesting. I also drive a 2500HD and have a Big Foot 2500 camper on the back. Mine's a 2005 and oddly enough it has 116,500 miles on it. I knew about Rickson prior to purchasing my camper (at 7,500 miles) and also have the 19.5" wheels and tires (14 ply). I swear by them although I've had problems with a rough ride and have never been able to get the ride right. My computer (cluster) went out at about 75,000 miles on a climbing trip in Montana and it was replaced by Chevrolet in Bozeman, Montana at Chevrolet's expense. I've had to replace both the front hubs and the torsion bars (I think that's what they are called) at my expense and each side was about $1,300. Chevrolet told me that the larger wheels caused the damage and would not warrant that. The starter went out twice which Chevrolet also paid for. I use my truck like a truck should be used and it's got thousands of miles on gravel / dirt roads. Like the author of the article, I'm also a fan of my truck.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Interesting read.

But sorry, repeated broken wheels, a dying onboard computer, and numerous failing sensors in just 116k miles is far from my idea of reliable.

herm

Adventurer
only one set of wheels was factory, and they are over gvw. so really, a single computer failure and a few sensors is pretty awesome. I know our f-250/350/450's are not nearly that reliable. many of us have been stranded many times and have had many failures over 3 years. turbo chargers, high pressure oil pumps, fuel pumps, exhaust filter systems......

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
EEC failures on Fords are non-existent

And in my opinion, an actual EEC failure is NOT acceptable. Ever. An actual failed EEC leaves you stranded until you find a replacement. And they are not cheap.

Failed sensors can be dealt with on the road easily. And sensors that are common problems can easily be added to a road kit.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Or you could just buy a dependable rig :chef:

Wanna know why so many GM truck computers (ECM)s fail so often?

They put them in the engine bay.....:Wow1:

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
To me, the most interesting part was the comment on body flex. Kind of makes you wonder about all the effort a lot of people go to with the torsion-free subframes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior