Another project: Survivor 1992 4Runner

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Very nice find. If you ever decide that Toyota is just not for you, feel free to drop that little beauty in my drive and we can work out a figure.

Seriously though, on your rear window, check out this troubleshooting guide from Roger Brown before you drop any dough on a switch. There are a number of places where your trouble could lie.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/RearWindow.shtml

On the hubs, agree with everyone else that Aisin/ASCO is the best. Warns are good and if you already had some they would be fine. (or if you could get some for free) But if you're starting from scratch, you might as well shoot for the Aisins. As mentioned the cone washer setup is better. It is very likely that you can score an entire front end on CL for cheap from someone that is doing a solid axle swap. Then you can have the hubs and throw in the diff without all the actuator crap on it as well. Those ADD defeat write ups that rely on a hose clamp would make me a little nervous.

Welcome to Toyota!!

98dango

Expedition Leader
Very nice score Larry

Do not buy any hub but Toyota my dad has a box full of broken aftermarket hubs. He cant even make one good hub out of the box just keeps it to show his customers. Most recently blew the lock switch out of his dd 81 Toyota with 31s driving to safe way in Woodland Wa in the snow. This truck only sees 4wd when the weather is bad has not been on a trial in 10 years since he took my key to it. His cheap Rugged what ever hubs where 5 days old its 3 blocks to the store from the shop.

Toyotero

Explorer
That is a great looking 4Runner! I can't wait to see it after the engine bay cleaning.

Those Rugged Ridge hubs look like cheap knock-offs of the OEM Toyota ones. I'd spend the extra money and buy the OEM ones. Piece of mind, if anything else.

Ditto. From everything I've read, nothing beats the stock AISIN hubs.

You can surf rock crawler forums and look for someone parting out their IFS after a SAS. Or just watch ebay :)

and double ditto on 4Crawler's reference site.

Cheers.

Overbear

Observer
Suggestions...

1)Like everyone else said, find stock Aisin units. I believe Marlin stocks them, if not check with Inchworm gears. (NOS)
2)Go down to toyota, and pick up/order spair cone washers, hubs, and studs. Trust me, you will thank me if you have to do a field rebuild

Oh yea...dual case and SAS that thing, its clean! :D (Ya know you never realise how offten you use the pirate4x4 flipoff2 tell you can't use it in a post, LOL)

Overbear

Observer
Sorry to thread jack, but is this something common among certain toyota years or just a preference?

Really the big problem with the autolocking hubs is you have no control over them. You can't just get out and unlock them, and if they fail to lock you have no real way to take them apart and fix them, especialy when your out on a trail. Toyota should have never abandon the Manual locking hub, I feel, along with ditching the solid axle, it was one of the worst things they ever did for their 4x4 line.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
That's a beaut! Ooh--that looks like Bright Blue Metallic Clear Coat--that's the color I drooled over the most in the brochures when I was 16. It even has my favorite wheels. And I swear those 2nd gen interiors were the coolest. That steering wheel and dash are giving me palpitations! Thanks for the eye-candy.

For the idle, have you tried the adjustment screw? There might be enough adjustment in the screw to get it back down to a reasonable level. It's the large, flat-bladed screw head towards the front of the throttle body on top. While it's running and warm, try cranking it clockwise and see if you can get the idle low enough and see if it runs well that way. Someone may have just cranked it up for some reason or another.

Wow--I'd be hesitant to change much of anything on it. I love the 2nd-gen look, bumpers and all.

Have fun!

Eric

Last edited:

Danimal

Adventurer
Fantastic find! One owner, low miles, no rust/damage, and a simple/reliable combo. Hope it serves you and your family well!

(A Toyota would have been the wrong vehicle to have parked at work in a GM parking lot)

I've spent time here and there over the last 4 years at the GM HQ and I'm always surprised at the percentage of Korean and Japanese vehicles in the employee lots.

Dan

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks guys! I am really happy with this purchase even though I haven’t had much of a chance to crawl around it yet. We just got it Wednesday night and the weather has been horrible here since. My wife loves it and actually talked me into getting it. She says it is her 4x4 Toy. She was trying to come up with a beach desination name for it and I told her these are called Surf's in other parts of the world so she decided Surf was a good name for it. Although my friend, Zooman75 came up with a good name too....Toy-D-Bowl. Blue like Tide Bowl with a Toyota spin :sombrero:. The boss always gets her way so I am sure Surf will be the final name.

BLKNBLU, great info on the window issue. The window works with the key in the rear gate but the console switch only allows it to roll down. No workie going up unless you use the key in the rear gate. As far as the hubs, I agree Aisin’s are the anvil of the Toyota hub world but I already ordered the Rugged Ridge hubs. If they look cheesy I’ll send them back. 1LegLance has a set up hubs offered to too so that is another option.

I hear you on trusting a hose clamp to hold the ADD fork. That does sound a bit barnyard. I wonder if that fork can just be welded in place until I can find a non-ADD axle tube and shaft?

Overbear, nah…no dual tcase or SAS for this Toy. It is too clean of a survivor to mess up.

Tanglefoot, yes this is the original color. In fact, it is the original paint. The previous owner, Mike, said it had never been wrecked or painted on. I agree, I think 2nd gen 4Runners and pickups of that generation were some of the best looking Toyota trucks and SUV’s ever built. 3rd Gen are my second favorite. IMO, they certainly look better than today’s Tacoma and odd looking 4Runner. Ya, I know they have an adjustment screw on throttle body but I want to first find out if there is an issue causing the high idle before just turning the screw down to mask a problem.

Danimal,

Thanks for the compliment. With regards to parking, if you are referring to the RenCen as GM HQ, that building houses a lot more than just GM operations so the surrounding parking lot tends to be a hodgepodge of many vehicles. The Tech Center, Milford, GM Truck Product Center and most other GM lots are by far loaded with predominantly GM products. I worked at a Chevrolet office in Troy then later the RenCen downtown. When I worked at the RenCen I parked at Pontiac East Assembly and rode the company shuttle bus downtown as parking was so difficult at the RenCen given all of the GM and non-GM people working in there at that time.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
A few updates. Replaced the ECT sensor which fixed the temp gauge as well as the high idle problem, replaced the thermostat, coolant, oil change, full lube, etc. I had an upholstery shop touch up the front seat cushion as it was broken down from 20 years of sitting on it. Fabric was fine, it was just the cushion that needed attention. Also had a new muffler installed as the original was full of holes and leaking badly.

Then last night I repainted the wheels, center caps, lug nuts and got the new Wal-Mart special Goodyear Authority tires installed as well as the Rugged Trail locking hubs. I know the general consensus is the stock Aisin’s are the best around however, these Rugged Trail hubs looked very well built. Heck, they looked a lot higher quality than the usual D44 style hubs you would get from Warn, Superwinch, etc that I am used to playing with. I was prepared to repack the front bearings but once I popped off the hub cover I was surprised to see fresh grease already in there. It looked like it was just packed yesterday so I just added the hubs and called it good. Didn’t do the ADD root canal yet but plan to do so soon. I do see what you all mean by cone washers though as the Rugged Trail hubs do not use them. I’ll have to keep my eyes on them to see if they start to work loose. If they do, I go hunting for Aisin’s.

The wife was so geeked up about this little truck she couldn’t wait to drive it to work today and leave her 2010 BMW 335xi at home. Funny, when we were in college in the early 90’s she wanted a 4Runner and I wanted a Suburban. Fast forward 20 years and now we have the vehicles we wanted 20 years ago…..they are just 20+ year old vehicles now.

6890124045_06a225c3d8_b.jpg

6890124489_3d4bb8f7c7_b.jpg

The Surf Turtle blue paint is very close to the late 90’s GM Quasar blue on the K10. Plan on painting that badly chipped up bumper this summer.
6890127711_0f1b621d93_b.jpg

I love the look of the 31’s on stock wheels!
6892220043_23c147c8f3_b.jpg

Tomorrow I am throwing a new set of plugs, wires, cap and rotor at it. Probably going to have the windows tinted next week as well.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Thats a nice looking ride! Great find with the engine/tranny combo, they are getting harder, and harder tio find. Especially anywhere as nice as that.

Byways

Adventurer
I'm the original owner of a 22RE 90 4Runner with 5 spd and auto hubs. In 235,000 hard miles, with a higher-than-normal percentage of those miles backcountry and 4x4 roads, I've never had a problem of any sort with the auto hubs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior