Opinions Please: Outlander Sport or wait for Mazda CX-5

m3at333hp

Adventurer
I am strongly considering getting ride of my Bimmer and getting a fuel efficient crossover for those road trips and outdoor activities that do not require 4x4 or the room on my Monty. I really like the Outlander Sport (especially since it is a Mitsu :smiley_drive:) but I hate that they have not upgraded it already to the Lancer GTS's 2.4L instead of the 2.0. The only complaints everyone has had is the lack of power. Even better yet, a Ralliart version with the 2.0 turbo would be beautiful but would not have the 100,000 mile warranty and would be too expensive as well as not fuel efficient IMO.

Enter the Mazda CX-5. Early magazine and web reviews are already raving it (even though I try not to believe them too much). It has a very similar aggressive look in my opinion, priced similarly and a very fuel efficient and more powerful engine than the Mitsu. I have never owned a Mazda but have never heard major complaints either. The Mazda is a 2013 model btw, but I am in no rush whatsoever.

Opinions?

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Drove the Mitsu and loved everything about it except the power (which you already know). The Outlander is going to have a superior all wheel drive system so that is a plus if you truly need it. Not sure if the Mazda has a CVT or not, but that is a factor for me because I like to feel a transmission shift instead of the silly rubber band feel. I also think the Outlander looks better personally.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
Drove the Mitsu and loved everything about it except the power (which you already know). The Outlander is going to have a superior all wheel drive system so that is a plus if you truly need it. Not sure if the Mazda has a CVT or not, but that is a factor for me because I like to feel a transmission shift instead of the silly rubber band feel. I also think the Outlander looks better personally.

About 4 months ago, I almost bought the AWD version of the Outlander and the deal fell thru. Then I started thinking, I really do not need AWD in Southern California for what I want it for. I rarely drive to the snow since I hate the cold plus I have the Monty which I would use on those kind of trips anyways. So FWD would be for me. Save money, gas and about 200 lbs I think. I agree that the CVT sucks and scres the crap out of me for longevity. I also agree the Mistu looks better, especially with the bar in the middle of the evo grill blacked out ;) I think we agree on all aspects of the car.

RttH

We loved our 2008 Outlander AWD. The only negatives...road noise (even after changing tire brands), and fit and finish. Gas mileage was only in the mid to low 20's. On a similiar note, a friend of mine sold her paid off Honda Accord to get a Prius to save gas mileage. Now she has a debt of $28k just to save gas. $28k will buy a lot of gas for a paid off anything! Just saying.

I do consider getting a daily driver to replace my Montero...but like my last comment, thats a lot of $$$ to not drive my Montero daily. :ylsmoke:

m3at333hp

Adventurer
We loved our 2008 Outlander AWD. The only negatives...road noise (even after changing tire brands), and fit and finish. Gas mileage was only in the mid to low 20's. On a similiar note, a friend of mine sold her paid off Honda Accord to get a Prius to save gas mileage. Now she has a debt of $28k just to save gas. $28k will buy a lot of gas for a paid off anything! Just saying.

I do consider getting a daily driver to replace my Montero...but like my last comment, thats a lot of $$$ to not drive my Montero daily. :ylsmoke:

Well I NEVER drive the Montero as a daily driver. I drive 25 miles each way to work, which does not include gym, seeing girlfriend or going out. I got the Monty as adventure vehicle when I already had a daily driver. I want to replace my BMW (daily driver). But I do understand that sometime the ROI is not worth it. In my case, the MPG on my BMW is avg 25 which is not bad. I am more concerned with space for bikes and such. Maybe I will just get a rood rack :p

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Test drive the Kia Sportage and/or Hyundai Tuscon. I HATED those brands until I was looking for a new daily driver for my wife and I. We tried everything, drove a Hyundai Santa Fe and bought it - by far the most value for the money.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
I considered the KIA or Hyundai as well, but have not driven them yet. I do like the warranty. From what I learnt during my undergrad, the reason they are cheap is the Korean government subsidies the manufacturing cost for now to have an aggressive market entrance.
I do not think I will be making a quick decision, so I will keep them in mind!

m3at333hp

Adventurer
By the way Roger, I should say I never drive it daily not because I do not like to drive it, but because of gas and most importantly, because I feel like since I only have 126k on a 1998, and to me they are hard to find with low miles and clean, I would rather savor it :p

RttH

I agree! I do think of getting a daily driver so my Montero will last longer. The Outlander is great at hauling bikes/kayaks/people. I loved the drop down tail gate too! Good luck on your search!:smiley_drive:

agerb

Observer
Seems to be a lot of confusion here between the Outlander and Outlander sport. The two vehicles are not related in any way. One is tiny (outlander sport) the other (outlander) is a compact/mid size with an available third row. Mitsu is coming up with something big here in the near future, but not much info on it yet. Probably the replacement for the current Outlander. Not sure what the NA drive train options will be but I am sure it will be efficient

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mitsubishi/2012-mitsubishi-px-miev-concept-ii-ar119643.html

Saiyan66

Adventurer
The Outlander Sport (just like all Mitsubishi vehicles) comes with a 10 year 100k mile warranty, so I wouldn't let the CVT's longevity concern you.

mitsuman

If it were my money, I'd wait and check out the 2013 Ford Escape, you be able to choose a 1.6 turbo with 175hp and 170ft lbs, or a 2.0 turbo with 237hp and 250ft lbs!

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I hate to say this on a Mitsu forum, but I'd go with the Mazda. I have owned a Mazda and it was a very good car. Great value, fit and finish. Handled awesome. (protege5 wagon)
I have considered returning to the brand myself.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
The one drawback I found in the Outlander sport is the interior. Very very bland for my taste. I think I owe it to myself to at least wait and check out the Mazda.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste