Pioneer Tool Trailer

GGimbert

Adventurer
I have been looking for one of these but ..... do you think it would be OK to remove all or part of the center divider?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I have been looking for one of these but ..... do you think it would be OK to remove all or part of the center divider?

Sorry about the delay in answering your question. You should be ok if you remove the sheetmetal part of the divider but not the 2x2 section of square tubing thats in the middle of the trailer. It looks like that supports the roof.

JUNAC

Observer
I've got the same trailer. I ended up replacing the rubber hinge with some conveyor belting. It's been leak free for the last five years. What a job removing the original rivets and then installing the new ones. I ended up painting it with Por-15 and then a topcoat of Tremclad flat black. Going to do an Expo build as well. Good luck with yours, I'll be following closely.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I've got the same trailer. I ended up replacing the rubber hinge with some conveyor belting. It's been leak free for the last five years. What a job removing the original rivets and then installing the new ones. I ended up painting it with Por-15 and then a topcoat of Tremclad flat black. Going to do an Expo build as well. Good luck with yours, I'll be following closely.

I took my hinges off a bit ago, need to do some minor rust repair on the doors. I have some old conveyor belting saved away somewhere for the new hinges. I am a professional mechanic so I have the tools to make jobs like this easy, all it takes is air.:)

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Here are some rough ideas for mine. The spare is going in front on the tongue. Inside the front section that is divided I will have water tank, battery, spot for firewood, and other assorted heavy items that will be fairly permanent to the trailer. Then build a platform on each side that is just shy of being level with the bottom of the side doors. It will have some tiedown points and netting and will be used to hold sleeping bags, luggage, and other light items that will be unloaded every night. The platforms will be hinged so I can access the battery, water tank and firewood under them.

The back section, which is from the divider back, is open all the way across. It will be the kitchen. It will have a stove, icebox(fridge once I get the money), grub box, and propane tanks. Plan on having it on a slider so I can slide it out for easy access and weight distribution. Will probably have the kitchen area built up fairly high for "cupboards" etc. Will have to watch my weights carefully, especially behind the axle. Anyway, anyone else have any words of wisdom to add.

Oh I forgot. I have two OZ5 tents that will go in there somewhere too. I also plan on having an awning on the back over the kitchen area and on one of the side doors. I would also like to be able to put some mountain bikes and/or dirtbikes on it too, not sure how or where or if its even feasible at this point in its build.

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I have heard old fire hose works great as a replacement for the hinges. Super tough, no rips or rot.

Good idea. I know a firefighter I could get some hose from thats in pretty good shape. He got me some to make hinges on my ice chest when the plastic ones broke. He told me FD's don't keep hoses forever, I guess they have an age limit so they get rid of them and sometimes they are in pretty good shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles