Viking or Masterpull Synthetic Winch Line

cactusjk

Explorer
I currently am running a Warn XD 9000 with Masterpull winch rope. I am shifting to a Aluminum fairlead and want to use a safety thimble. In the process of shifting to a safety thimble I am going to just replace the line with new. I am torn between Viking and Masterpull and am leaning towards Viking for my FJ. Recommendations needed.

Expedition Leader
Don't see how you could go wrong with either.

I run Viking line and a safety thimble on my FJ40 and have nothing but good to say about Viking. Top-notch customer service, fast shipping, and the owner of the company personally followed-up on my purchase just to make sure everything was OK. They impressed me, and I would buy from them again. Everything I bought from them was top quality and has worked well too. No relation whatsoever to the company except as a happy customer.

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

Last edited:

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I have no experience with Viking, but I have been dealing with Master Pull for over a decade. I've always stayed with them because from day one they always went out of their way to help out. Emil and I would be on the phone for hours exchanging ideas and experiences to find ways to improve their product. He would make custom sized ropes for our highly modified Warn 8274s, so we could get as much footage as possible, helping us shave off seconds at winch challenges. I still have my original rope on my 99TJ.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

cactusjk

Explorer
Good advice and a hard decision. I'll give Masterpull a call this week to see what they can do. I started there 6 years ago. The Viking 5/16"/100' line is a little less and is good enough for my needs.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I guess it comes down more to brand loyalty. Master Pull has been good to me so I won't even look at any other rope. Not saying the others are bad, just saying Master Pull's customer service brings the win.

OverlandGourmet

I use the Viking synthetic line as well as a lot of their other recovery products. Having gotten to know Thor over the past couple years and spending time at his shop in southern California, it has become very apparent that he and his team go above and beyond to create high quality products and provide incredible customer service. I can't tell you how many times I've over heard Thor on the phone walking someone through an install or questions ... even if it wasn't a Viking product! The Viking products are ones that I'm proud to own, use, and count on in situations when I need them the most. If in doubt, give them a call and let them walk you through the selection process of what best fits your specific needs.

opie

Explorer
One thing to keep in mind is comparing apples to apples.

Viking uses SK75. Amsteel Blue if its Samson, although every other manufacturer uses SK75 but calls it something different.

Masterpull uses I believe SK75 in their "Master-Pull basic winch rope." So if you are going to compare products, these are the 2 you should be comparing.

When you step up into Masterpulls superline and superline xd, you are getting into a more refined SK75. It may even be SK90, but Im not sure. Heat treating, stretching and setting, covers etc. To my knowledge there isn't anyone else on the market selling a product similar, at least here in the US.

From a personal/business standpoint, and these are based on my own experiences, Thor over at Viking has gone out of his way to reach out to me as a business owner. The ability for a business owner to look past themselves and help out one of their competitors speaks volumes to me. But this doesn't have anything to do with the product they put out. Its not difficult to put a winch rope together, so it usually comes down to price and customer service. I don't think you can go wrong with either. If I had to choose, I would go with Viking because I get the impression Viking has not gotten so big that the owner is above/to busy to keep in touch with their customers.

brasskey

Observer
One thing to keep in mind is comparing apples to apples.

Viking uses SK75. Amsteel Blue if its Samson, although every other manufacturer uses SK75 but calls it something different.

Masterpull uses I believe SK75 in their "Master-Pull basic winch rope." So if you are going to compare products, these are the 2 you should be comparing.

When you step up into Masterpulls superline and superline xd, you are getting into a more refined SK75. It may even be SK90, but Im not sure. Heat treating, stretching and setting, covers etc. To my knowledge there isn't anyone else on the market selling a product similar, at least here in the US.

From a personal/business standpoint, and these are based on my own experiences, Thor over at Viking has gone out of his way to reach out to me as a business owner. The ability for a business owner to look past themselves and help out one of their competitors speaks volumes to me. But this doesn't have anything to do with the product they put out. Its not difficult to put a winch rope together, so it usually comes down to price and customer service. I don't think you can go wrong with either. If I had to choose, I would go with Viking because I get the impression Viking has not gotten so big that the owner is above/to busy to keep in touch with their customers.

Are you still selling winch line? I bought some products (winch extension, recovery rope, rope shackles) from you in the past and I have been very happy with them. Great construction on the products and great customer service.

For the original poster, I purchased Viking winch line through Sierra Expeditions. Both companies were great to work with.

I have never bought from Masterpull but I have emailed some questions about products and they are very quick to respond and helpful. Sorry I'm not much help. I basically said both were great and then gave a third option.

cactusjk

Explorer
Definitely a toss up. MP does offer significant discounts compared to Viking. That might be the deal breaker.

cactusjk

Explorer
No coupon in the Gear Guide!

QUOTE=OverlandGourmet;1049008]Check your recent copy of OJ ... might be a coupon code on the Viking ad. I know Thor has done them recently...[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94