Real life MPG numbers wanted.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
1994 crew cab long box with a 460 and OD auto 4x4. 9.5'camper and a 7000 lb trailer, gross weight is 17,400 lbs. I get 8.6 mpg at 60-65 mph.

What do you get without the trailer behind? 10?

I towed a 3000lb toy hauler pop-up (tent-trailer with 31" muds etc) with my 92 F350 cc, 3" lift, 35s E4OD auto and 460 from BC tocentral Mex and everywhere in between. 10 mpg was about average. Didn't even know the trailer was back there. I am just looking at the same truck with a ZF5 manual, and hope I can get another 2 mpg or so. I will also belooking at trading the trailer for a slide on camper.

motrhed

Observer
Thanks guys, keep the info coming.
Motrhed, great to see a direct comparison between a gasser and a diesel. Where I am (NW MT) those mileages pencil out to a $43 savings with the diesel over 1000mls. Would take a while to overcome the extra price of a diesel at that rate. How have the maintenance costs of the 2 different trucks compared so far?
Kevin
The major difference between the 6L gas and the Duramax is the available power and torque. The OEM ratings for the '07 D'max is 365hp and 660ft/lbs of torque... there is no economical way to get that much torque out of the gas engine and still have reasonable fuel economy. Regarding maintenance costs between the two, the differences have been negligible. Oil changes on the diesel cost more due to the larger oil capacity but other than that most of my costs relate to the mods that I made to each truck. That being said I am about to spend more money on the D'max to correct some factory shortcomings (transfer case pump upgrade, transmission line upgrade, swap to Allison Transynd oil, etc). If you plan to haul or tow heavy loads on a "regular" basis, diesel power is the way to go. If you don't haul heavy loads on a regular basis, it may be more cost effective to stick with a gas engine.

Last edited:

morrisster

Adventurer
Truck: 2004.5 (LLY) Silverado 3500 D/A QCLB 4x4
Camper: 2004 Starcraft pine mountain starmate 9 - stated weight wet #1900 - my total loaded weight is between 10 and 11000
Tires 265/75/16 Load range E
13000 mile avg mpg, with the camper - 14.2

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
13 mpg. Does not seem to matter the speed or condition. 6.5 turbo diesel.

P1000883.jpg

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...rland-Combo-GMC-Sierra-4x4-Bigfoot-2500/page3

I guess it's not too bad considering I am carrying a full house. My FZJ80 was getting 10-11 mpg.

Last edited:

motrhed

Observer
Fuel prices

Depending on where you live or travel, fuel prices vary widely. Diesel used to be cheaper than gasoline in most areas but that seems to have reversed over that past few years. Around here diesel is currently selling for about the same as premium gas... which sucks! Now more than ever, diesels need to produce better hp, mileage, and longevity to make the initial purchase worthwhile - gas engines are a bit more appealing if the truck is not under constant load.

Chongzilla

My friend's got an '05 2500 Dodge CTD,srw, w/auto,4.10 gears and 35 x12.50 x 18 Toyo MT's. He's carrying a 9.5' Sixpack self contained camper. He's getting 10.5 city with it. Going from a 285-75-17 Toyo AT to his present tire cost him 3 mpg.

He might want to check how far he travels on the road compared to how far his ODO says he travels. I upsized my tires and thought they killed my mpgs as well but they actually get me about 1 mpg better then stock. I travel 30% further with my larger tires then my ODO says I travel.

05 Dodge QCLB 4x4 on 35 A/Ts with a leveling kit, getting 17 mpg city and 19 highway no aftermarket parts or tunes. I get about 15 loaded with a 10,000 trailer and I live in an area full of big hills.

dzzz

Depending on where you live or travel, fuel prices vary widely. Diesel used to be cheaper than gasoline in most areas but that seems to have reversed over that past few years. Around here diesel is currently selling for about the same as premium gas... which sucks! Now more than ever, diesels need to produce better hp, mileage, and longevity to make the initial purchase worthwhile - gas engines are a bit more appealing if the truck is not under constant load.

I agree. Most people maybe should just skip the diesel unless there's a compelling reason to not use a gas engine (extreme mileage, single fuel, vehicle weight)

I get ~9-10 mpg driving 60-65. In my case I think the pop-up helps a lot a higher speeds.

trail-explorer

Adventurer
Since you are wanting to haul a hard side truck camper I suggest you skip the 3/4 ton and get a 1 ton. Just about everyone hauling a truck camper is over their GVWR, there's no reason to make the problem worse by getting a 2500.

This is my recommendation too. Newer hard sided campers are HEAVY.

Ajraservices

A diesel truck will cost you about 14 cents per mile more to drive than a diesel if you consider initial premium investment, fuel filters, extra oil, and fuel conditioner.
That being said, the extra power and easier towing ability is worth it.

krj

Observer
I finally have some number to contribute to this thread that I started!
I recently sold my 2003 Tundra and 1988 FWC Grandby. For what I got for those, I bought a 1999 3/4 Dodge Cummins, QCLB, 5spd AND a '95 Cascade 8.5' hardside camper.
With the old rig I was getting 13mpg. First trip with the new setup and I averaged 15.5mpg. 660 mile trip, hand calc'd, mixed city and highway. First half no faster than 60mph or greater than 1800rpm. Second half, bumped it up to 65mph (2000rpm) on the highway and mostly into a head wind, no change in mpg. Diesel is now 10 cents cheaper than the premium that I was running in my Tundra! Oh yeah, I no longer have to deal with the pop-up!

BCHauler

Adventurer
july 2012 018.jpg
This was my first trip with this configuration, so the comparable data is thin, but here it is:

2001 F250 v10 4.30 gears, crew cab shortbed 4x4 with brand new 255/85/16 KM2's. Camper weight is unknown, take a look at the picture and guess. Trailer is light and can be lifted and moved by hand. Truck had 5 passengers weighing approximately 620 lbs. Route was approximately 1000 km round trip from sea level over the Cascade Mountains driving the Coquihalla Highway (elevation 4068') and the Coquihalla Connector (elevation 5760') to Summerland in the Okanagon (elevation 1490') and then back. For the most part, speed was a consistent 95 kmph or 60 mph.

Mileage there was 8.7 mpg or 27.1 L/100km and 9 mpg or 26 L/100km on the way back. As a point of reference, I have done most of that route without the camper or trailer in the dead of winter with 235/85/16 tires and averaged 13.5 mpg. FWIW my numbers are not corrected for the larger tires.

edit: okay, my rudimentary calculations put the corrected numbers at 9 mpg or 26 L/100km there and 9.5 mpg or 24.9 L/100km back.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Good to see you are getting some time away Todd. I have obviously forgotten my days with the 460. 9 mpg is scary, but with the Coq in the calculations, not really a surprise.

krj

Observer
How are prices of diesel vs gasoline up there? Diesel has dropped down below mid-grade gasoline down here. At least in MT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles