Airing Up

scrubber3

Not really here
Not sure about you driving too low on the washboard, but IMO that looks like a good way to air up your tires after trail running.

YukonRob

Adventurer
There are a few threads down in the recovery section regarding this topic. The MV50 compressor is a popular choice for an economy-minded solution.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
It is a much much faster compressor. Not to discourage you but it's also quite a bit larger than the MV50. Unfortunately I don't have a shot of the two side by side but from what I've found online the 2780/2781 is W11” x H12” x L16" :Wow1: (yes it's bigger) while the MV50 is probably ~25-30% smaller.

shmabs

Explorer
I use C02, and love it. Yes its something that needs to be refilled, but its cheap fast and i dont do it very often. i have a 20 pound tank and a 10 pound tank and have less than 75 into both of them.

Mike

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah I've also got a 15lb tank and formerly a 10lb one but IMHO they're a pain to store securely in the rig. Yes I have a mount for them but they're so ungainly in size & that's what I see as the main problem with them. OK if you have the space though.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
One nice thing about the Viair is that it has a continuous duty cycle.
I'm not sure if the Smittybuilt has that feature.
An old adage, that is so often the case: You get what you pay for...
All the rigs that I wheel with have Viair compressors (various models), and all have worked flawlessly.

shmabs

Explorer
I agree totally about storage for CO2, it can be a real pain. Someday i plan on getting a compressor, but thus far i have been thoroughly unimpressed with the cheaper models, and i do not yet want to drop the coin on a nice VIAR.

Mike

off-roader

Expedition Leader
One nice thing about the Viair is that it has a continuous duty cycle.
I'm not sure if the Smittybuilt has that feature.
An old adage, that is so often the case: You get what you pay for...
All the rigs that I wheel with have Viair compressors (various models), and all have worked flawlessly.

I know what ur sayng about the benefits of 100% duty cycle. Just bear in mind that the 100% duty cycle is usually only relevant if your using the compressor for an extended period.

In my case... at +5cfm I can fill four 35" tires from 12psi to 34psi in ~10 min which is well before the 40 minute run time limit (@30%duty cycle). I don't recall any time I've needed much more than an hour using my old +2cfm mv50 for airing up tires since most I wheel with already have a compressor. No, I'm not using it to fill up an air tank. On hard core trips I'll also consider bringing a 15lbs CO2 bottle in case i need to run air tools.

frgtwn

Adventurer
off-roader, the link that you gave shows a listed 2.54cfm compressor. Running two at a time would not equal your stated 5.56cfm. No doubt you are happy with it, and that is good enough for the price.

I do not trust the stated cfm of any of the advertisers. First, it is often at 0psi, and would not have much meaning at higher pressures. One would think that you could use the numbers as a comparison, but even this can be apples and oranges. Look for a test of several inflating the same tires, then look for your favorite features. And, price, of course.

Another choice that has a lot of users is the Puma line. This seller seems to have the best price around, either on ebay or their store. (old link) http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-1-5-gal...372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48408e9cbc

Also, the Puma compressors are sold and rebranded by some of the other retailers, including the high end ones. A little research will get you there.

Me? An MV-50. Good enough for now.
Oh, and CO2, not yet used on a trip, but used up in my daily job.

Dale

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I just picked up an MV-50 off of someone on ExPo and then grabbed a 2.5 Gal air tank. Going to rig it all up soon. Great little compressor for the price.

red87

Adventurer
Add me to the MV-50 list. Mine's been flawless for a couple years now. And if it does fail in a year, buy another one for $50 more. You'll still be $100 up on that Viar compressor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste