The Budget Minded Bikepacker

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Awesome thread!

I, too, am waiting to see the "money is no object" list for this same topic.
In progress. :)

While working on the OJ newsletter, I had an opportunity to try the new Eddie Bauer/First Ascent MicroTherm Down SHIRT. It is a shirt. I can tell you that item is going to be my very best friend during my Colorado Trail Race this summer.

Saguache

Adventurer
why do people not bikepack with hammocks?
Alouette+June+2011+038.JPG

Not everywhere comes equipped with trees.

iceland-desert-camping1-588x391.jpg

Last edited:

apalmer

Adventurer
This is a great thread!

Should you want to expand on the tools mentioned above, I think one of the best multi-tools around is the Topeak Hexus 16.

I have been using it for years now, and everything about it is almost perfect. The chain tool is a particular stand out. The plastic side of the tool (that doubles as a tire lever) has a 4mm hex on it to drive the chain tool with, so it's super easy to use. When I was in bike shops, I actually built a bike out of the box with one of these, just to see if I could. Worked better than I thought.

MSRP is under $30, so the price can't really be beat. Also, the Germans gave it a design award, so that means it's awesome.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I love my Hennessy Hammock! But I have to admit, I'm only bringing it when I know the places I'm going to stay overnight.... No trees, no sleep ;-) Although I have used it in very poor weather conditions and never had to be afraid of getting wet, I now grab my one person tent when it's raining. Also gives me the chance to "stay" in the sleepingbag while making my morning coffee.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Well, let's keep it going!

MSR Micro Rocket stove, $59

The Micro Rocket was new in 2012 and makes for a nice complement to the wildly popular MSR Pocket Rocket. At only 73 grams, the Micro Rocket is pretty ideal for the bikepacker. Since this is the budget-minded thread, a good pot to use with this would be the Titan titanium tea pot, but it's too spendy for this thread. I would recommend something like the GSI Minimalist.

The Micro Rocket is a star performer as you'd expect from MSR. My stove has performed flawlessly for many, many nights.

MicroRocket_zpsdf80db70.jpg

apalmer

Adventurer
I see that the "larger" Esbit stove was mentioned in here, but this one impressed me when I saw it in terms of size and cost. For $15, it definitely fits the "budget" aspect of this thread.

titanium-esbit-wing-stove-snowpeak-450.jpg

I ordered one today from work, I'll report back when I use it.

Attachments

• pixel.gif
    pixel.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 547

Victorian

Stoves! Great topic :)

In my 30 year camping career I have tried, seen, thrown out all kinds of stoves....
Granted, they all have their uses and not all of them fit everyones needs. I for myself like a stove that doesn't need any maintenance,doesn't make your hands smell ,that is quiet, easy to use and cheap to buy.

Here is what I use when bike touring:
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hikin...trangia-small-non-stick-pot-set-and-stove.jsp

For under $100 you get a virtually bullet proof stove including pots. You can even carry it around when in use!

Couple of things to know:
Takes longer to bring water to a boil (but therefore it's great to boil rice and pasta without it boiling over)
"invisible" flame... Be careful!
If you don't like the denatured alcohol (it's heavy and bulky) you can get a propane burner for it. I got it and are now using it all the time.
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hikin...cessories/PRD~5009-503/trangia-gas-burner.jsp

Another alternative:
the Trangia mini. Same idea as the big one but for my taste not big enough to make a proper meal:
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hikin...~4000-918/trangia-mini-stove-with-cookset.jsp

In any case, those are not the smallest and lightest set ups..... When backpacking I'm using the MSR PocketRocket:
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/StovesFuel/PRD~4015-419/msr-pocketrocket-stove.jsp

Cheers

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I see that the "larger" Esbit stove was mentioned in here, but this one impressed me when I saw it in terms of size and cost. For $15, it definitely fits the "budget" aspect of this thread.

When I did my Colorado Trail Race attempt last year I went back and forth over a micro rocket and that very Esbit stove. I was amazed to discover that a Micro Rocket with one 100 gram JetBoil fuel can weighed almost the exact same as 6-8 cubes of Esbit fuel plus that tiny stove!

What I came to realize is this. If you're a daily boiler, as in making coffee every morning and a meal every night, a proper stove and one can of fuel is lighter. If however, you're like me and may go a day or so only needing hot water to lift your spirits or make a warm meal, the Esbit system is pretty killer.

Victorian

From my time in the military, I remember the Esbit tablets not as "high heat output device" LOL Please tell me they improved... I was never able to get anything warmed up proper... Boiling water was unthinkable ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles