The Budget Minded Bikepacker

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Budget minded?

We never used tents just basic tarps. Never bought crazy costly dry freeze meals. Typically we spent 1-2 weeks in the coastal range in Northern CA. We rarely spent more than 4 days in the Sierras different weather and too many people in the Sierras.

mfd

Not sure I'd recommend this bivy to someone who isn't already a bikepacker and knows what he/she is after. This bivy with the velcro closure does not breathe (the material reminds me of Tyvek) and it's not rugged enough to last (mine started tearing the first night of use). It will get you a few days of cat naps on the CTR but that's it.

The SOL Escape bivy is a slightly better option, it has a zipper and the fabric is more breathable. But if you're going to spend $50 then you might also start looking at the Alpkit Hunka (also $50) or MSR E-Bivy ($100), too.

I got the XL Hunka so I could have the option to put my pad in there as well, makes for a bit of a snug fit with a thick Big Agnes pad but it's nice to be completely enclosed if the weather is nasty. The weight/packed size of the XL isn't much more than the regular. I haven't tried any of their other products but Alpkit looks to have some great stuff at reasonable prices.

Another inexpensive but very functional shelter item I've had for a few years is the Appy Trails floor less tent. It packs down small enough to go into a seat bag and only needs 1 small collapsible pole. Spent many a rainy night in there with the lady and our dog and have been perfectly dry, lots of room for such a lightweight tent.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Budget minded?

We never used tents just basic tarps. Never bought crazy costly dry freeze meals. Typically we spent 1-2 weeks in the coastal range in Northern CA. We rarely spent more than 4 days in the Sierras different weather and too many people in the Sierras.
Yes. Budget minded. You can, and many do, spend a fortune on gear. Now, had I said, "the cheapest way to go bikepacking," you might have caught me out. Keep in mind the intent of this list, which is pretty old by now. It was intended to illuminate less expensive options to get outside on your bike.

I stand by the list, but you're welcome to assemble your own.

Timnausbauem

Is there a specific type of workout necessary if you go on bikepacking. I believe I haven't ride a bike 4-5 years and would think bikepacking is extremely different from biking in a park.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Is there a specific type of workout necessary if you go on bikepacking. I believe I haven't ride a bike 4-5 years and would think bikepacking is extremely different from biking in a park.
Specific to bike packing? Not really unless you're shooting to race and even then my feeling it's genetic. People who are successful racers are just born stallions while some are born donkeys. So I can train really hard but the best I can ever be is a fast donkey.

Anyway, you're just trying to build endurance. Modern techniques to gain fitness involve more high intensity than simple base miles, but for most regular Joes there's really no substitute for just getting your butt on the saddle a lot.

The one thing I might mention is it's not bad cross training to backpack and hike, at least for me. I tend to hike-a-bike quite a bit. Sometimes after a couple of days of grinding it just feels better to walk a few miles pushing the bike. Also lifting and keeping your upper body in shape is important since cycling alone doesn't do that well. If I don't have access to gym (which I normally don't) I find my neck and shoulders get sore quicker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles