Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Volvo C304 (4x4) Restore and fitout

26 October 2017

Last day of my long holiday. Half day - then return the 20hp engine to the boat factory in Penang 165k from the IPOH factory. Mr Brown greets me at the gate he knows the howl of the jungle trucks turbo.

My goal is to get the knee pads mounted and down to the "cushion" "kussen" (Bahasa Malayu spelling) shop. The spelling took me ages to find a shop lol.

Mid morning the first goal is done the left new passenger dash panel is fitted and bent properly with some assistance from the ever helpful expert bender Mr Yap.

Then the knee pads are mounted using RIVNUTS from behind. Taped up the gear lever cover so it doesn't get scratched.

Drivers side with the split knee pads due to the new mid column power steering unit is mounted.

Scrubbed the panels and cleaned up and went down to the "Kussen" shop. The nice couple called their daughter down to speak English to me as they only spoke Cantonese and my cantonese is limited to ordering food and bartering and directions, so they gave me stitching options etc and we agreed on the work and it will be ready Saturday lunchtime.

Headed up to IPOH in the Jungle TRUCK - god the noise I forgot how bad it was dropped the engine off and headed back the 385k home not without dramas when the new turbo in the jungle truck decided for 80k to leap the EGT gauge to 900 every time I put the foot down. It all settled down as it got to dusk and I arrived home 8.57pm. Only good new is Isuzu is being dropped back home in the morning with a new clutch.

Roll on Saturday where I have the old gear lever cover to bolt in and trim up and a ever deceasing amount of work left for me to do.

RFC 2017 in the Volvo is gone so maybe we will finish it by XMAS. Maybe.

That would be a great Christmas present for you

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

5 November 2017

Work on Volvo stopped for last weekend and yesterday due to that Apple Iphone x launch which caused a bit of chaos resulting in me working 8 days straight.

Long drive to IPOH god im starting hate it 6.08am I depart home and its raining. I limit myself to 140k even that is dangerous. The overturned bus 15 minutes later which crossed 6 lanes of highway and 4 barriers ending up on its roof is a gentle reminder to slow down as I cruise past the wreck.

Arrive IPOH 95 minutes later, it rained all but for 30k on the way up with a few slippery moments to remind me of my New Zealand superbike back country touring bad days.

Share a load of butterscotch bread and a yoghurt drink with Mr Brown.

Workshop is opened for me and I commence the days work.

Takes me 3.5 hours to line up and drill the 10 holes to bolt in the gear lever cover. But they all line up and it looks ok. Next weekend I will prepare it with the vaccum switches for the PTO levers. Trim it more then it can be sanded for powdercoating.

First a visit to Volvo 2 Chassis shop on Friday night after the Apple x launch on the way home and they unveil the new guard dog. Man he is cute 2 months old I wanna adopt him.

The paper template which took me hours to get the holes lined up correctly.

For a break I decided to try and fit the LED headlights one LED light was fitted into the old headlight ring. The other no hope WD40 would not free up the screws. More work is needed as nothing is ever simple. I need to mount a new tab for the bottom of the headlight to bolt to the other has been half ripped out during strip down. An hours work has just turned into 3-4 hours work or more.

Drilling the holes fopr the left dash proved harder than I thought when I got 1 hole 4mm out of alignment resulting in it having to be welded up so I can redrill it. Damn SOB.

The gear lever bolted down looks ok.

Further inspection of the LED light Monday reveals I need to make a internal bracket to stop the wiring flopping around and a broken bracket I also need to repair. I'm going to order new headlight rings from Sweden instead. The arrow indicate the issues.

Home time the traffix chaos yet again and 2.5 hours go by before I can stop at the bar near home and have a burger and a beer.

12 November 2017

After losing 3 weekends of my life to Apple x launch and then the Alipay 11.11 Sale. I finally got a day to work on Volvo 1.

Stupid me decides to watch the All Blacks play France at 3.45am then drive to IPOH straight after By 5.30am

I realise the game will spill into my driving time and breakfast time.

6.15am Leave home and refuel and then sit on 140k the whole way to IPOH another 190K gone a nice dry clear road. Arrive in IPOH with enough time to have a 20 minute breakfast and start work as the door is unlocked for me.

I have to cleanup all the Volvo stuff to enable the huge trailer order to start Monday. I fit the 4 shocks

to get rid of more boxes and then start cleaning up by 7pm it's home time and I have everything cleaned up in and around the VOlvo and biffed a lot of rubbish stuff out.

Some work has been done on the centre console looks about 50% wired up.

I find the old centre console - huge difference now in Quality and presentation.

The cleaned out Volvo.

The new spare tire covers.

The left side headlight I need to sort out how to bolt in the headlight bolt.

The right side headlight I need to sort out how to weld in the missing half of the clip.

The cleaned up parts table and the rear of the Volvo except for the window glass.

Hometime yet another 2.5 hour drive for the 190k find the local bar have a beer and meal realising even XMAS is looking difficult to finish the Volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by geckoadventure View Post
    12 November 2017

After losing 3 weekends of my life to Apple x launch and then the Alipay 11.11 Sale. I finally got a day to work on Volvo 1.

Stupid me decides to watch the All Blacks play France at 3.45am then drive to IPOH straight after By 5.30am

I realise the game will spill into my driving time and breakfast time.

6.15am Leave home and refuel and then sit on 140k the whole way to IPOH another 190K gone a nice dry clear road. Arrive in IPOH with enough time to have a 20 minute breakfast and start work as the door is unlocked for me.

I have to cleanup all the Volvo stuff to enable the huge trailer order to start Monday. I fit the 4 shocks

to get rid of more boxes and then start cleaning up by 7pm it's home time and I have everything cleaned up in and around the VOlvo and biffed a lot of rubbish stuff out.

Some work has been done on the centre console looks about 50% wired up.

I find the old centre console - huge difference now in Quality and presentation.

The cleaned out Volvo.

The new spare tire covers.

The left side headlight I need to sort out how to bolt in the headlight bolt.

The right side headlight I need to sort out how to weld in the missing half of the clip.

The cleaned up parts table and the rear of the Volvo except for the window glass.

Hometime yet another 2.5 hour drive for the 190k find the local bar have a beer and meal realising even XMAS is looking difficult to finish the Volvo.
    Looking forward to seeing you getting closer to the end

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829