Provan Siberian Tiger - post here

SRUPike

Observer
:yikes: hmm Paul with a Siberian Tiger.... Imagine the possibilities and veneers......................:wings:

Now he just needs a benefactor.... The build thread would be record setting...

LukeH

Adventurer
I think ER and GXV are going to take a serious market share hit from the quality and competetive price of this magnificent vehicle.

I reckon the market's big enough for both players not to have to compete.
They're almost complementary; F450 to F550, load range and clearance coming with the different models.
You've got to like aluminium though and I don't (not that my opinion has anything to do with it, I'm not a potential customer of either).
I also think that that those who can afford either are not quite as concerned as I am about materials, the important thing for them is that it works, out of the box.
And that I'm sure it does.

Drew80130

It does look really well done, and even with all the options you still come in at $30K less than an Earthroamer, so they have that going for them. One thing I noticed that seems odd, it notes that picking the Lariat trim package eliminates one of the fuel tanks. Any ideas why a trim package would result in the loss of 28 gallons of fuel capacity? I know it wieghs more since it adds power seats and some other goodies, but there should be plenty of capacity in the GVWR to accomodate both. Just curious.

haven

Expedition Leader
To reduce duplicates and make information easier to find, I combined three threads on the new Siberian Tiger into this one.

haven

Expedition Leader
The difference in price between the standard gas Siberian ($163K) and diesel Siberian ($175K) is $12,000. Part of that difference is the cost of the diesel engine and 6 speed transmission. Another part is the upgrade from gasoline generator to diesel generator. The use of a diesel stovetop, diesel hot air heater, and hot water heater are all more expensive than their propane counterparts.

Provan is planning a model without generator, substituting bigger batteries and a larger solar array. I'm not sure that the rooftop air conditioner will work for long when running on battery power.

haven

Expedition Leader
Looking at the Siberian floorplan, I see that the bathroom has a shower separate from the toilet and sink (a so-called dry bath). That will appeal to shoppers with a background in RV camping. Earthroamer offers an optional dry bath in the XT-LV Stretch model. I think all GXV models have a wet bath.

The Siberian's 200 inch wheelbase is the same as the Earthroamer XV-LT crew cab Stretch model. The ER, at 27.5 feet, is 6 inches longer overall.

One issue with the Provan floorplan, common to all Tiger models, is that access to the bathroom is blocked when you pull out the couch for use as a bed. It sure looks like you can't open the bathroom door far enough for anyone over the age of 3 to squeeze in.

I recall that Earthroamer started with the F450 chassis, and moved to the F550 because the weight of the camper used up most of the F450's GVWR. Maybe the Siberian's aluminum construction saves weight, compared to the ER's composite construction. It will be interesting to learn the Siberian's weight with a full fuel tank and full water tank.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
One issue with the Provan floorplan, common to all Tiger models, is that access to the bathroom is blocked when you pull out the couch for use as a bed. It sure looks like you can't open the bathroom door far enough for anyone over the age of 3 to squeeze in.
Bathroom access is not an issue on the older Tigers with the bed pulled out. The bathroom door opens in the opposite direction of the new design. It has the same range of motion whether the bed is deployed or stowed. It appears the new door design has a limited range when the bed is in use. However, using the floor planks as a guide, it appears there would be ~15" of door opening with the bed pulled out. If someone is too large to fit through that opening, they're probably large enough to have other issues with the Tiger's interior. This is all a guess on my part as I haven't seen an actual Siberian in person.

FWIW- I've looked, in person, at the offerings from all of the "Adventure" RV builders. Though others have better materials and craftsmanship (and a higher price), I still think the basic Tiger floor plan offers the absolute best use of space. I'm currently finishing up a custom camper build and often find myself appreciating many of the techniques that Dave Rowe used when he designed the original Tigers. It looks like the Siberian takes an already good thing and makes it better.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Im liking how the construction of the camper itself is partially aluminum vs. fiberglass. It would seem easier to fix this way in case of a "Ding" on a rock, ledge or what have you. I also like how they stored the genset vs, hanging it off the rear bumper like some of their older models. Im excited to see the Siberian at the Overland Expo this year.

TomH

Adventurer
It does look really well done, and even with all the options you still come in at $30K less than an Earthroamer, so they have that going for them. One thing I noticed that seems odd, it notes that picking the Lariat trim package eliminates one of the fuel tanks. Any ideas why a trim package would result in the loss of 28 gallons of fuel capacity? I know it wieghs more since it adds power seats and some other goodies, but there should be plenty of capacity in the GVWR to accomodate both. Just curious.

The Siberian with suspension and other options comes in at $185k to $200k. The ER XV-LTS, which is closest to the Siberian in size, is $300k. That's over $100k difference. The ER is built on a beefier Ford frame and has higher capacaties in all tanks and house battery. All that extra weight comes with a MPG penalty and mobility limitations, however.

TomH

Adventurer
Im liking how the construction of the camper itself is partially aluminum vs. fiberglass. It would seem easier to fix this way in case of a "Ding" on a rock, ledge or what have you. I also like how they stored the genset vs, hanging it off the rear bumper like some of their older models. Im excited to see the Siberian at the Overland Expo this year.

And as I understand it, the cabinets are also aluminum and strongly bonded (welded?) to the aluminum wall. Rather than having to worry about washboards shaking the cabinets loose, the cabinet structure actually strengthens the cabin. HD no-slam drawer slides and locking latches are also a great advantage.

TomH

Adventurer
To reduce duplicates and make information easier to find, I combined three threads on the new Siberian Tiger into this one.

Haven,

Could/should the entire forum section be retitled EarthRoamer, GXV, Unicat, Tiger?

haven

Expedition Leader
I don't have a magic wand to do that. I'll just move the thread back to the "Other Custom Campers" section.

suntinez

Explorer
Just surviving in this market is commendable, so I like what Provan is doing and wish them the best.

As for the Siberian, I think I prefer the smaller units - just more my style. Definitely looking forward to seeing one, beautiful craftsmanship and well thought out. BTW If you didn't see on their press release for OVX, Siberian drooling will be limited to Fri and Sun.

Provan said:
The vehicle display area will be open Friday 9a – 5p; Saturday 8a – 5p; and Sunday 8a – 4p. Please note that the Tiger display will be open for regular hours on Friday and Sunday only. On Saturday, however, the Tiger display will be closed.

Bathroom access is not an issue on the older Tigers with the bed pulled out. The bathroom door opens in the opposite direction of the new design. It has the same range of motion whether the bed is deployed or stowed.

I'll concur on this, the bathroom door opens fine on the GTs/XLs/CXs I've been in, whether the bottom bunk is deployed or not. Can't imagine that would change on the big guy.

I still think the basic Tiger floor plan offers the absolute best use of space.

Couldn't agree more - even on the small van versions, there just feels like a ton of space in there.

Other van conversions I've seen have that "tiny corridor down the middle" feeling, whereas the Tigers feel really open and spacious. Maybe it's the view out the side and rear windows, but the coach is a very comfortable setup. I would like to sit in one of the earlier "booth model" arrangements and see if it also has that open feeling.

You can look at spec sheets and floorplans all you want, but sitting in something will answer most questions right away about whether it's right for you and the way you travel.

Kudos to Dave Rowe for doing it his way, and sticking with it. And to Mark Guild and crew for taking the company to the next level.

Can't wait to see what you've done on that custom build, HMR. Knowing you, it'll be a good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke