Provan Siberian Tiger - post here

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Earthroamer offers the Kelderman system. I suspect that Tiger will offer something similar. http://kelderman.com/old/ As there are only two Siberians in existence and neither has the air suspension, I suspect it is all conjecture at this point. You might pose the question in the Earthroamer forum, at least one Expo member is building an Earthroamer with air ride.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I don't have a magic wand to do that. I'll just move the thread back to the "Other Custom Campers" section.

Seems to me that it should go into the ER, Unicat section, since the Siberian Tiger is a production expedition camper, not a custom camper.

haven

Expedition Leader
I'll ask the folks with the fully charged magic wands about modifying the title of the section. Maybe the title should be "Production expedition campers >$100K." Then we could move the threads for the EarthCruiser and All Terrain Warriors there, along with the Tiger Siberian.

TomH

Adventurer
I'll ask the folks with the fully charged magic wands about modifying the title of the section. Maybe the title should be "Production expedition campers >$100K." Then we could move the threads for the EarthCruiser and All Terrain Warriors there, along with the Tiger Siberian.

Depending on whether they are 2wd or 4wd and suspension upgrades, many of the other Tigers (CX and Bengal) are production expedition campers as well. Those models run > $100k. The old astro van Tigers (even if 4wd) would not qualify as expedition campers; the 4wd just helps with snow.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
The old astro van Tigers (even if 4wd) would not qualify as expedition campers; the 4wd just helps with snow.

Really? What about if they put on some really bright lights and zippy outdoors graphics? Would they be expedition campers then?

Give the guys some credit. They're a real, established company, and they appear to be focusing on the 4x4 market. If they don't belong in the same group as ER, Unicat, etc., it's about money and not substance. Change the section to "really expensive campers that have cachet" and be straightforward about it.

TomH

Adventurer
Really? What about if they put on some really bright lights and zippy outdoors graphics? Would they be expedition campers then?

Give the guys some credit. They're a real, established company, and they appear to be focusing on the 4x4 market. If they don't belong in the same group as ER, Unicat, etc., it's about money and not substance. Change the section to "really expensive campers that have cachet" and be straightforward about it.

Hi Joaquin, I actually agree with you on the money part. I'm not the one who first mentioned the money. Money shouldn't have anything to do with the category. Tiger hasn't made any van based campers in a long time. The van campers they used to make simply do not have the suspension, frame, etc. to handle off road conditions. The ones that do have 4wd benefit from that when there is ice or snow on a paved road. They don't qualify as "expedition campers" because thay can't handle rough roads. You could paint them and put your bright lights on them and they still couldn't handle rough roads. The truck based CX and Bengal Tigers have reinforced frames to handle rough roads. Many of the 4wd units have suspension upgrades. These rough road capable truck based units do qualify as "Production Expedition Campers." If it's a production camper and it's capable of overlanding or at least handling rough roads, it ought to go in the same category as the others, regardless of what it cost.

Not all Sportsmobiles qualify as beling in the expedition camper section either. Some, though production models, are just overly tall limousines, 2wd vehicles with fancy seats, theatre, and a bar, correctly called touring vans. I suppose it would be splitting hairs in deciding which SMBs and Tigers to include and which to leave out???

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The old astro van Tigers (even if 4wd) would not qualify as expedition campers; the 4wd just helps with snow.

Some people around here have already proved that wrong.

Could an Astro Tiger cross the rubicon? No, but neither could most ''expedition'' campers.

TomH

Adventurer
Some people around here have already proved that wrong.

Links? Pics?

I will accept that you could take one (older Astro van based Tiger) on a couple of trips and make it over rough terrain. At which time you would have cabinets that have vibrated off their mountings, worn out shocks, and various other issues. Just because you complete a trail with a 4wd vehicle doesn't qualify it as an expedition vehicle. Such a category should be for vehicles that can complete such journeys on an ongoing basis without quick deterioration.

Last edited:

snorkel54

Adventurer
Seems to me that it should go into the ER, Unicat section, since the Siberian Tiger is a production expedition camper, not a custom camper.

The subheading for this category reads "Custom and other enclosed expedition campers, Pinz, Turtle Expedition Vehicles, etc." The subheading for the ER/GSV/Unicat category reads "Small volume bespoke expedition camper manufacturers."

Why not just change the title of this category to "Other Enclosed Expedition Campers." The subheading could then specifically mention Provan Tiger, which is not bespoke in the same sense as ER, etc. Custom vehicles could still be posted in this category.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
The subheading for this category reads "Custom and other enclosed expedition campers, Pinz, Turtle Expedition Vehicles, etc." The subheading for the ER/GSV/Unicat category reads "Small volume bespoke expedition camper manufacturers."

Why not just change the title of this category to "Other Enclosed Expedition Campers." The subheading could then specifically mention Provan Tiger, which is not bespoke in the same sense as ER, etc. Custom vehicles could still be posted in this category.

Because the Tiger is not a custom camper.

But I do like your comment. It really illustrates why Tiger isn't in the same forum. They have the baggage of having made affordable products. Like i said. They should just call a spade a spade and say it's about money and image. Or give a reputable, US-built, proven company the same due as the new kids on the block.

fyreles

I am new to this forum and find it funny to listen to the Tiger bashing. I don't post too much because I am out there with my off road vehicles. One of the campers I own is a Tiger. It is pretty well made and takes me every where I need to get to.
I was at Provan in Carolina a month ago on our last adventure and after the visit we are convinced Mark and his people are dedicated to a quality product. We are considering a refit to update our Tiger, the visit to Provan sold us.

TomH

Adventurer
I am new to this forum and find it funny to listen to the Tiger bashing. I don't post too much because I am out there with my off road vehicles. One of the campers I own is a Tiger. It is pretty well made and takes me every where I need to get to.
I was at Provan in Carolina a month ago on our last adventure and after the visit we are convinced Mark and his people are dedicated to a quality product. We are considering a refit to update our Tiger, the visit to Provan sold us.

What you may not realize is that not all Tigers are the same. Early Tigers were built as Class B motorhomes on Chevy Astro vans. Modern Class C Tigers are built on pickups. Some Tigers are 2wd and some 4X4. Some have suspension modifications and others do not. Some are capable of moderate off pavement travel and others are not so capable. 4X4 on an Astro does not give it great ability as an off road vehicle. I like Tigers too, and plan to purchase a Bengal Tiger. Nevertheless, I am realistic about what it can and cannot do. It will never be able to do what a Jeep Rubicon can do and Mark will be the first to tell you that he is not trying to pursue the rock crawling/overlanding market. Realistic objectivity should not be labeled as "bashing".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94