Land Rover Discovery II -VS- Defender 90

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
You evil, evil bastard! :mad:

:jumping:

EDIT: That burgandy one is hot. I can also really dig the BRG/W one!

gjackson

FRGS
Dear EPDSG,

I have followed your longing posts with some recognition. I was once as you are now. I was once longing for an expedition Defender 110, 300tdi, disk brakes all round etc. I would gaze longingly at web sites from RSA and the UK with pics of well prepared Defenders ready to take on the world.

Unfortunately, unlike you wise folks, I completely succumbed to the need, and I got one. $23,000 later and there she was, 730km on the clock; my very own 110! Everything I had dreamed of on many a dark evening. And she only cost me a further $15k to outfit for Africa!! Now she sits in my garage, and I whirl around her with plans for body repairs and better accessories. She only has 75k km on her now, but they have been hard, hard kms! She is everything I had hoped for!

:rolleyes:

Okay, that was laying it on thick! Sorry! Just know that if you want something, you can make it happen. Defenders are awesome! I'd only trade it for a 78 series troopie!!

Attachments

• P1010035a.jpg
    P1010035a.jpg
    905.6 KB · Views: 117

Aubrey

Observer
ruby%20019.jpg

grizzly014.JPG

And the grand daddy ....
sargec003.JPG

Full spec on mods at home

Last edited:

Aubrey

Observer
expeditionswest said:

This a 110 double cab. Sad to say that the bin at the back is smaller than a Disco I load area. If you fancy the load area and twin cab setup ....130 all the way but it is long ...not as long as a Navigator but then, I have yet to see a Navigator off-road.

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, that is the irony of it all. The double cab Tacoma is an equally appropriate expedition choice, BUT the 110 wins the funk factor by a wide margin... :archaeolo

Scott Brady

Founder
I am doing office cleaning today and found that I also have the 1997 Defender brochure.

On, and the 1972 Guide to Land Rover Expeditions. The document is as old as I am.
IMG_0491.JPG

colvere

Observer
no big deal

In england a standard 110 with TDI is like a ford F150 in the states. beware of the Katrina autosales pitches, I am sure that a few 90's and 110's were swamped down there.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Thanks everyone, some very good thoughts.
Collectively I think you all hit it on the head, it is an emotional decision, and partially finantial.
I have always wanted a Defender and have found one for sale at a ridiculously low price. The price is so low that it's either a misprint, the vehicle is a complete lemon or some good natured fella is throwing the "defenderobsesives" a bone! I am hoping for the last one!

It's a '97 soft top with 60,000 miles and a new engine 10,000 miles ago. I'm still trying to learn more about it but want to prepare myself for the possibility of having to make a quick decision if the vehicle checks out well.

I am very skeptical, Gee! do you think I should be wary of a $5000 Defender?! I could buy it out right and then eventually free up an existing car payment. I really like my Discovery for so many reasons, but the thought of a Defender and no car payment gets me lost in dreamland!

Oh, and if anyone has some land in Florida that they would like to sell me this may be a good time to try!:xxrotflma

I would like to take the time to comment that Brian turned down a $5000 NAS Defender. How is that Discovery treating you now?

LR Max

Local Oaf
Nowadays a $5k defender is just the VIN plate and a piece of paper with the word, "Title" written on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne