Land Rover Discovery II -VS- Defender 90

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Land Rover Discovery II -VS- Defender 90 ST

Interesting topic Yes!?
I am actually having some serious thoughts on this matter and want to get an idea of how a Discovery II and a Defender 90 Soft Top compare in the big picture. Also note, don't factor in pricing of the vehicle on this one.

Here's what I've got so far:

Discovery:
Offers a completely closed environment with heated leather seats and dual climate control. 4 doors allowing easy access for back seat passengers. A nice cargo area in the back. Roughly 15 mpg with a range of about 275 miles.

Defender 90 Soft Top
Offers a convertible! No nonsense interior. Two doors with front seats that flip forward to access rear seating. Little cargo space with the back seat in place. Roughly 15 mpg with a range of 200 miles.

I think the Defender has superior offroad capability and is a more basic design with less amenities to fail or cause problems, but the 200 mile range and small cargo area are weak. And I think the Discovery may be more comfortable on a day to day basis given its 4 doors and cargo area and amenities, but those amenities are one of it's weak factors at the same time.
I have a Discovery II and I have never driven a D90 only sat in one, so any insight you can provide would be great.

Not sure where I'm going with this but what would you choose, what do you think is most practical for a expedition/trail rig that will also be used as an everyday vehicle?

Last edited:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Wo Wo, Everybody slow down, take it easy!
The response rate to this thread is a bit overwhelming to keep up with!:ylsmoke:

Sorry, getting slap happy at the end of the day.
This thread is offering up some fierce competition to my thread about helmets!:xxrotflma :xxrotflma

Scott Brady

Founder
IMO, keep the Discovery and use the money you save for trips and other adventures...

The D90 is an emotional decision, and one that would be fun in the short run. Unless you want to start running 3.5+ trails, what you have now is a great solution, and has loads of aftermarket support (due to volume).

If you really have the open air/ rough trail itch, buy a Wrangler.

I really like your Disco, and it is outfitted great for remote travel. I think you will only be giving up functionality and comfort.

We need to start a Defender help group here... Defenders Anonymous :camping:

gjackson

FRGS
I would say stick with the Disco. But that's just because you already have it and have invested time and effort there.

The cargo capacity of the D-90 is actually not so much smaller than the Disco as you might think, so long as you make the 90 a 2 seater. The cargo bay of a Defender is very large, and being mostly square is very easy to pile stuff into. There are a bunch of very capable expedition D-90s out there, but mostly overseas. If you drop a diesel into a D90 you get a bunch of range back, but that is an expensive option. It will run you at least $5000 to drop a 300tdi in. All that being said, if you need a back seat, then the 90 won't really do for long range travel.

Check out www.oneworld-expeditions.com. James and Angela started out with a Disco I and then got a hard top D-90 before leaving for Africa. They are currently in Ghana having started in England. So far as I know the 90 is doing fine for them.

The Defender has a large draw. It is a simple vehicle with very good capabilities. It is easy to fix and, while parts are expensive, they are not that hard to find. Some people find them uncomfortable which can be a huge drawback. I actually find the Defender seats very comfortable and have had no issues with them.

Have you considered a hard top D90? The soft top is a fantastic truck, but security can be a real concern if you have a bunch of equipment in one.

Just my off-the-wall 2c worth!

cheers

+ d

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
We need to start a Defender help group here... Defenders Anonymous

My name is David...I am defenderobsesive.

I can't argue with the logic above...
but, if you are bored with your current project, or have worked it to a point where you are ready to move on, then i (we) would love to see you build up a defender. go with what feels right if you've got the time and money.

i have no real world experience to offer...but i'll encourage you for my own selfish reasons!

Westy

Adventurer
I have never driven a defender, but have driven discovery II's, they are nice vehicles.

I think it comes down to what your intentions are for the vehicle. Do you want something to do longer expeditions? If so, I'd want the Discovery, however if you think the majority of your trips would be locally, or around the west coast and you would plan on running some harder trails, like scott mentioned, then the Defender 90 would be great as long as you dont plan on having multiple passengers.

Then again the Discovery could be modded to run more difficult trails and still enjoy all the comforts, but out of the box its a couple steps behind IMO and too many frills for me.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone, some very good thoughts.
Collectively I think you all hit it on the head, it is an emotional decision, and partially finantial.
I have always wanted a Defender and have found one for sale at a ridiculously low price. The price is so low that it's either a misprint, the vehicle is a complete lemon or some good natured fella is throwing the "defenderobsesives" a bone! I am hoping for the last one!

It's a '97 soft top with 60,000 miles and a new engine 10,000 miles ago. I'm still trying to learn more about it but want to prepare myself for the possibility of having to make a quick decision if the vehicle checks out well.

I am very skeptical, Gee! do you think I should be wary of a $5000 Defender?! I could buy it out right and then eventually free up an existing car payment. I really like my Discovery for so many reasons, but the thought of a Defender and no car payment gets me lost in dreamland!

Oh, and if anyone has some land in Florida that they would like to sell me this may be a good time to try!:xxrotflma

Scott Brady

Founder
At $5000, it likely has a salvaged title. The new motor could be as a result of a theft recovery or submersion.

With your Disco being a 2001, you are probably close to owning that too, and have already made the huge investment in expedition mods. You probably owe much less on the Disco than the cumulative cost of the 90 and all of the required modifications.

I also understand wanting a Defender 90, though my obsession trends more towards the 110 or 130 crew.
FF-03.jpg

Man, that thing is so cool, I can hardly stand it!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Hi, my name is Aaron, and I am also a Defenderobssed. However, I tend to lean ion the direction of Scott as I am always swooning over the 110's and would give my left and right anything to have a 130 crew.

And shame on you Scott for posting that pic! Noew I am crying on my keyboard because that thing is soooooooo cool and I want it soooooo badly!

Brian, I would not chance a $5G 90, there is something surely not right right with it. Keep your Disco, it is set up perfectly, and most of the mods have already been done. It is a good truck with great capabilities, and a few, ok a lot, of little niceties thrown in. Just do what my brother does with his Disco2. When one of the little frilly electronic gadgets breaks that he does not find to be a neccessity, he just doesn't get it fixed, and problem solved, one more frill down.:rolleyes:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
And the details come to the surface!

Ok so I have finally heard back from the seller/owner.
I found this on Ebay with a Buy It Now price of $5,200, and the seller has to pre-approve you before you can bid. As fishy as it sounds I could not help but inquire. It was even listed as located in Chicago, I have family there who could have inspected it for me so that would be no big deal.

After three emails to the seller one has not been answered and the other two received the same reply, seen below:

Hello ,

Thank you for your interest in my NEW SHORT BLOCK 4.0L V8. I want you to know I cannot accept financing because time is a real issue for me, this is why I am looking for a cash buyer.

The car will be shipped from Berlin/Germany & i will cover shipping fees as my Godfather work for DHL air service , so all you have to pay for this car it's BUY IT NOW price ($5,200.00) . Will be shipped with DHL Air Service and you will receive it within 12 days tops.DHL will delivery the car at your door.

I'm selling this car in perfect working condition , no damage,no scratches or dents,no hidden defects, and it is as advertised. Is an US model with US specs and will be shipped with CLEAR US TITLE.

Reason for selling : We found out that we have to pay a large amount of money to regist the car here, because it is an US model (which complies with the US emission ) and Europe regulations are different from these ones , so it's more than hard for me to find a buyer here. I hate to sell it at this price but i REALY need this money , my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer,and is going thru treatments to help stop it.I am selling so i can put money away to pay for medical bills that are mounting.

If you are still interested please get back to me ASAP and i'll let you know terms of payment for this deal.

Thanks,
John Suchy

God Bless Your Family

---------

Berlin Germany is a little different than Chicago, I find the registration story hard to believe and the cancer treatment may be pushing it a little, however my sincerest regards if it be true.

As good as it may seem I think I am going to pass on this one -- Well, I was about to post a link to the auction here but when I went back to it it was gone. Either somone got a great deal on a Defender from Germany or a scam got busted.

So, How much do you want for that bridge?!! :xxrotflma

Last edited:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to thank the newly established Expedition Poral Defenderobssed Support Group (EPDSG) for helping me through my crisis!:eek:

And Scott, since you have posted that pic of the 130 Crew I now have new issues to deal with! That is one sweet machine.

By the way, have I mentioned lately just how cool the Expediton Portal is!!:victory:

Hello,

My name is Z O O R O P A and I have been searching for a 12 step program for my Defender 110 syndrome that seems to accompany terrets syndrom every time I look at prices for 13 year old vehicles. To help with this "disability" I to go to UK websites and pretend they are my local dealer and change the pound signs into $ signs.

So imagin logging on to your local LR Dealer and seeing the following;

FOR SALE AND HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE (lol) -

Lg49328-01.jpg

Lg53410-01.jpg

Lg54748-01.jpg

Lg56426-01.jpg

Lg60815-01.jpg

Lg72452-03.jpg

half leather oooooo ahhhhhh

Lg60815-03.jpg

Now the closest thing in the USA to get to that kind of vehicle lot is the following -http://www.rebornco.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles