What to buy? BMW, KTM, or ?

Clutch

<---Pass
I would go with the big bikes if you are doing more road then. I tend to favor KTM's , but, you should look at the Suzuki V-Strom too. Alot of guys have them, tons of aftermarket parts. Cost about $4-5K less than the KTM's or BMW's. Copper Canyon in Silver City usually has good deals on KTM's, he told me $12K for a 950/990, brand new. I assume he could ship one out to you, shipping is around $250-500. Dave is a great guy...and actually rides/great mechanic, can't say that about most dealers. 505-538-8903
As you pretty much know, Adventure Rider has all of the in's and out's, for just about every adventure type bike.

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
V Stroms are great bikes, both in the 650 and 1000cc models. At $10K less than a new BMW...worth a look.

Think about what you want to do, as well as your riding experience. I started out on a Honda XR650L, but soon found that it got blown around on the highway, and was pegged at 70mph....but in Mexico it's a great bike....actually may pick up another one for trips to Mexico...

A big bike gets very tiring to pick up after a hard day off pavement...yes, I know that from experience....

KTMs will almost always be better suited to off road than the BMWs...but...the older 950s are prone to water pump failures. (I have friends who bought 15 year old BMWs rather than deal with that issue on a 950 during a recent ride to Alaska)..the new 990s are supposed to be screamers....but, you gotta get the power to the ground effectively...and the fuel range isn't too good compared to the BMWs. Additionally, a KTM isn't likely to be a good choice for a beginning rider, given its quick throttle and high hp.

I'm a fan of BMWs, but still look at the KTM 640 Adventures with a bit of ....I think that'll do....

The 1100GSs are great buys, but have had some reports of trans problems...noone I know personally has had that issue....

The 1150s are nice, some are prone to slight surging at about 3K rpms, but I've really enjoyed my 1150 Adventure. The lower first gear, more suspension travel, 8 gallon fuel tank, and engine guards are functional and necessary in my opinion. I like the power and size. Its a great all around bike.

The 1200s are nice; however, the electonics can be a bit more tricky to add accessories.

I think a F650GS Dakar would be a great all around bike....lighter than a liter bike, and fuel efficiency is excellent (F650s too...). Perfect for a Mexico trip!

Also, think were you will be going. What quality of fuel is available. The newer BMWs and KTMs like 91 octane. The BMW Adventures have switchable ignition relays for poor fuel. Without that my 1150 pings like a marble in a coffee can on hard throttle and 85/87 octane Pemex fuel....

Only real solution is several bikes....

Make sure to save some $$ for proper gear.

HTH

-H-

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Hltoppr said:
The newer BMWs and KTMs like 91 octane.

-H-

FWIW, my '07 F650 prefers 87 octane (r+m/2). Not sure about the bigger (1200) bikes.

X2 on the gear. Picking up heavy bikes sucks, but doing it while pieces of your skin are no longer attached to your body sucks even more.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Kermit said:
I don't know if any of you have got a hold of this thread on ADV Rider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203720&highlight=kaneman

He started on a '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, then moved to a V-Strom, seems to be quite happy with it.

Amazing story, still makes you realize there are some very good people out there...

I read through that thread. Yeah, he seems to be pretty happy with the bike. But nobody knows how he likes it now, because he has checked out of ADV. It got messy at the end....

And....so as to not veer too far off topic, I am a big fan of the Strom. Been drooling over one for a few months now. They are definitely worth consideration.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Wow the Suzuki v-strom is very impressive. We had a outboard motor Suzuki 200, and it lasted through the course of 8 years of hard offshore abuse. So if there Cycle is anything like their outboards or the Samari for that matter then a good product it will be. I cant say the $numbers weren't impressive.

Aaron

Clutch

<---Pass
xcmountain80 said:
Wow the Suzuki v-strom is very impressive.

If you can get past the looks, well most of the Adventure style bikes have a face only a mother could love...;). The only complaint I would have with the Suzuki, would be it's mag wheels. Spoked wheels give a nicer ride, they flex a bit.

The V-Strom also comes in a 650 version. Nice motors, I believe the same in the SV bikes. You can get many miles out of them.

Fat_Man said:
I read through that thread. Yeah, he seems to be pretty happy with the bike. But nobody knows how he likes it now, because he has checked out of ADV. It got messy at the end....
That's too bad, it was a great story for a while. How many of you ever said I gonna quit my job and....

I don't know if I would want to be on the road for too long, it is nice to come home.

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Kermit said:
If you can get past the looks, well most of the Adventure style bikes have a face only a mother could love...;). The only complaint I would have with the Suzuki, would be it's mag wheels. Spoked wheels give a nicer ride, they flex a bit.

I had wondered about the wheels, speaking of faces mothers could love the front end of my 4Runner isn't so pretty, everytime I walk by it the big (240mm) lights are staring me down. I have yet to see one with any sort of nobby, I mean anything though I guess I need to search a bit harder.

Aaron

Clutch

<---Pass
Aaron,

I forgot to mention, the Suzuki's wheels are smaller 19" on the front, 17" on rear, unlike the the KTM's 21",18" rear. The larger wheel will roll over objects easier. Won't make or break the ride. Spoked wheels are less prone to break, because the have flex in them. Mags are usually cast, tend to be brittle. You would have to hit something awful hard to crack one, though. You can break either one. (I have destroyed spoked wheels).

You can get knobbies for the smaller wheels.

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
18" and 21" tires are also easy to come by worldwide....just in case you need a tire in Argentina....

-H-

katoosh

Ktm 950

I have one, and it rocks.

It's by far the best multi-purpose bike I have ever owned. Mine is the 2005.5 950 Adventure S. Carbs, higher suspension, etc. Lightly modified with Touratech bash plate, beefed up front suspension (SuperPlush), Zega 35 l hardbags, and some ergo stuff. Carbon tank protectors, and NO crash bars!

Perfect for long distance, although many complain about wind buffeting and a ****ty seat. I'm a manly man, and just suck it up. LOL. I'm just cheap.

Once at pavements end, the fun definitely begins. Depending on your skill level, it will go virtually anywhere. Challenging tracks are a huge pain, and it becomes hard, hard work. A 450, 525 would be fun, 640 Adv less so. But if your overlanding with equipment, any of bike is going to be weighted down with gear, and thus, not a lot of fun to do challenging dirt.

The big factor in the equation is how much time will be spent on the tarmac. For me, it is 2 1/2 hours to get to good riding (from San Francisco), and the ability to blast as fast as a want is a real asset. Even the road twisties are super fun (limited only by more off road oriented DS tires).

Fire roads and more open off road is where the bike really shines. Suspension is FANTASTIC, and there is unlimited power. You can really rip. Even with gear and at altitude. Huge grin factor.

I rode the GS1200 before going KTM. Nice, but tame. Two block on the 950 was enough for me to make my decision. It is a beast. I have a great high volume dealership--Scuderia West. That helps. Can't say enough good things about those guys.

Horrible range, and gas consumption. I'm lucky to get 40 mpg. 200 miles is a stretch. Lots of issues, but the performance is awesome. Hope this is helpful.

805gregg

Adventurer
There is a rental company in Alaska that rents V-Stom 650's wonder why? Maye because they have no issues, are reliable and less maintance.

Clutch

<---Pass
805gregg said:
There is a rental company in Alaska that rents V-Stom 650's wonder why? Maye because they have no issues, are reliable and less maintance.
Heck of alot cheaper too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior