What to buy? BMW, KTM, or ?

NothingClever

Explorer
Kermit said:
Back to back The KTM640 and the BMW f650, the KTM wins because of better parts hung from it. I am not saying that because I own a KTM. You have to throw more money at the already expensive BMW. To get it near the KTM's performance. The dollar goes farther with the KTM. Both will get the job done, it comes down how much you want to spend, and how the job is handled.

Like Kermit lays it out. No truer words spoken, IMO.

Having heavily modified a BMW F650 Dakar to make it trailworthy and still ending up short of my expectations, I researched and bought a KTM 950. At only a slight weight penalty, I gained buckets of performance in every regard. The big KTM doesn't do too bad on the trails because it tracks so much better than the BMW and has much more compliant suspension.

mr_ed

Toolbag
As a former Land Rover owner...stay away from European stuff!!! It's gloriously perfect at one thing...what it was designed for, but seriously lacking in a lot of other areas! Especially cost!

Git a KLR!!!!!!!:suning:

Ed

traveltoad

Aaron S
mr_ed said:
As a former Land Rover owner...stay away from European stuff!!! It's gloriously perfect at one thing...what it was designed for, but seriously lacking in a lot of other areas! Especially cost!

Git a KLR!!!!!!!:suning:

Ed

No way.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
As we are all aware as time marches on things change here and there. I have added a rider and still searching for a start point. My LOOSE plan of attack is buy the bikes at the start point instead of shipping them there $$. I will be purchasing 3 KLR 650's new to be sold upon our return to FL. I anticipate mine will go toward recycling a FJ60 or 65. I'm thinking about departing from WA or OR. I originally wanted to buy em here ride em and accessorize em out with hard cases and GPS mounts. Buuuut I have reconsidered for the reasons of shipping and well that's about it. So I'm thinking about purchasing the gear here and using my hard cases as carry on and certain TSA will get a kick out of the moto boots. Thoughts... suggestions... This would be like buying a expo vehicle in another country or heck on the other coast and driving it. Since the units will be new I don't forsee any major issues.

Aaron:roost:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
xcmountain80 said:
As we are all aware as time marches on things change here and there. I have added a rider and still searching for a start point. My LOOSE plan of attack is buy the bikes at the start point instead of shipping them there $$. I will be purchasing 3 KLR 650's new to be sold upon our return to FL. I anticipate mine will go toward recycling a FJ60 or 65. I'm thinking about departing from WA or OR. I originally wanted to buy em here ride em and accessorize em out with hard cases and GPS mounts. Buuuut I have reconsidered for the reasons of shipping and well that's about it. So I'm thinking about purchasing the gear here and using my hard cases as carry on and certain TSA will get a kick out of the moto boots. Thoughts... suggestions... This would be like buying a expo vehicle in another country or heck on the other coast and driving it. Since the units will be new I don't forsee any major issues.

Aaron:roost:

Great choice! I love mine.

Make sure you follow the engine break in routine to the T, very important to ensure trouble free adventures on a new machine.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Yep on on that note about break in I have now changed direction like the wind. I'm fairly certain we will be shipping them once more and modding and breaking them in here so that preventable problems don't arise due to break in issues.

Aaron

Clutch

<---Pass
Yep on on that note about break in I have now changed direction like the wind. I'm fairly certain we will be shipping them once more and modding and breaking them in here so that preventable problems don't arise due to break in issues.

Aaron

I have done heat cycles on all of my new bikes, a very quick way to break an engine in. I never had a problem with my engines, and I run 'em hard.

Warm engine to operating temperature (takes about 3-5 minutes), slowly rolling the throttle on and off to 1/2-3/4 throttle, don't let it idle...and don't reach WOT. Shut engine off, let cool for about an hour. Repeat process 2-3 more times. Change oil...then let her rip!

Some swear by this, others don't.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well after much deliberation I chose a 2005 KTM 525 EXC with 30 hours, the street legal conversion, a few blingy KTM bits on it....... rode it today will take delivery in a few weeks. Likely putting dad on a 2002 KLR with some miles but it is a KLR after all. Our shake down run date is yet to be determined and will likely be a run to North West Georgia (Grandfathers place). The second run will have us load the bikes on Auto train and run up to Virginia and then come back to Florida. THe final run of course is the cross country trip but we will see where this takes us first. One step at a time next will be deciding on a larger tank for the KTM.

A

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hi, congrats on your purchase! Hope it serves you well. The Beemers are great machines, but as stated above, the f650 is about 75% pavement and 20% off road and 5% trails. A good one not mentioned is the Transalp V twin, an XR on steriods. Mine is a 500 and has more torque than my XR650, just a world of difference with a V twin and it cruises at 70+ very easily.

Just thought I'd plug the Transalp, but more importantly, congrats! :bike_rider:

805gregg

Adventurer
Well after much deliberation I chose a 2005 KTM 525 EXC with 30 hours, the street legal conversion, . THe final run of course is the cross country trip but we will see where this takes us first. One step at a time next will be deciding on a larger tank for the KTM.

A

Did you check out the oil change intervals for that KTM?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
No need it was meticulously maintained and it shows. This was adult owned bike, the owner is close friends with the owner of the KTM shop where it was purchased. I trust what I know in this instance. Thank you for the concern.

A

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I think he was referring to the service schedule, not the service history. The 525 likes fresh oil on a regular basis (something crazy like every 15 or 20 hours . . .).

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Ride a couple...

...and see what fits.

Do you have any friends with bikes that will give you the opportunity to try them out? Put some time on each, like a couple of hours or so. Make sure that the seat is comfortable for you. If it hurts after a short ride think of what it will feel after a couple of days. You can get aftermarket seats to take care of that issue. One more farkle for the list. :coffeedrink:

I like the idea that you and your dad are getting the same bike. Less parts to carry, and just one bike to learn how to maintain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz