What to buy? BMW, KTM, or ?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
...and see what fits.

Do you have any friends with bikes that will give you the opportunity to try them out? Put some time on each, like a couple of hours or so. Make sure that the seat is comfortable for you. If it hurts after a short ride think of what it will feel after a couple of days. You can get aftermarket seats to take care of that issue. One more farkle for the list. :coffeedrink:

I like the idea that you and your dad are getting the same bike. Less parts to carry, and just one bike to learn how to maintain.

It has an aftermarket seat (and the original) feeling the difference between the two was proof enough with my hands, my butt thought the aftermarket seat was nice.

Dad and I are not using the same bikes it at least now, but we will se what the future holds. It makes sense to have the same rides for similar spares and tools but again we will see. I plan on outfitting the KLR 650 with panniers and maybe usig a tank bag and back pack (1400 cubic inch or less) on the KTM. I think we can carry less equipment and keep the trip cheap. I found a 3 and 6 gallon tank for the KTM sooo this will be a fast improvement over the stock 2.1 gallon tank.

A

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Dad and I are not using the same bikes it at least now, but we will se what the future holds. It makes sense to have the same rides for similar spares and tools but again we will see.

I think a better argument for having similar bikes can be made by pointing out the pace at which each bike will be moving. Putting the larger tank on the KTM will help you keep up with the KLR with regards to fuel range, but nothing other than rider experience will help that KLR keep up with the KTM when it comes to average moving speed.

A couple weeks ago I took a DR200 and a Husaberg FE600 (which is in the same category as the 525) down to Mexico. When I was on the DR, I traveled at less than 1/2 the average speed that I would on the Husaberg. When my girlfriend was on the DR and I was on the Husaberg, I couldn't get the 'burg to go slow enough (literally, it would idle in 1st gear faster than she was moving on the DR when the trail got a little bit rough), which ended up with me doing a lot of clutch slipping, stopping and waiting, etc.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
When I was on the DR, I traveled at less than 1/2 the average speed that I would on the Husaberg. When my girlfriend was on the DR and I was on the Husaberg, I couldn't get the 'burg to go slow enough (literally, it would idle in 1st gear faster than she was moving on the DR when the trail got a little bit rough), which ended up with me doing a lot of clutch slipping, stopping and waiting, etc.

That's comical as that is how we ride when on mountain bikes together. It the old adage or something he used to wait for me now I wait for him (makes me sad really). Partly why these trips are so important to me. If I could find the same deal (not a snowballs chance) on another KTM I'd buy it in heart beat. I'm embarrassed to say what I pay for it :).

A

That's comical as that is how we ride when on mountain bikes together. It the old adage or something he used to wait for me now I wait for him (makes me sad really). Partly why these trips are so important to me. If I could find the same deal (not a snowballs chance) on another KTM I'd buy it in heart beat. I'm embarrassed to say what I pay for it :).

A

That's what it's all about right there. :bike_rider::bike_rider:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I would think it would depend on the area and "expedition" to be undertaken.

The Tiger, well I rode one, great on the road and riding fields, you really don't want to go climbing much since it is a big bike. If you fall off that, it's like falling off a horse and picking it up would be about the same.

No one here seems to like the Transalp! That is my choice. Available parts, every shop in the world will work on Honda, dependable, sips gas, mine will cruise at 75 and go faster than I really care to and charge up the hills while carry more than enough gear, even two up! :bike_rider:

Trout

Long weekends in the desert or mountains - a 450 (anything under 600 will do) trail bike. Preferably plated, but I still trailer it up to camp. As tempting as exotics are, I would recommend sticking with something popular & readily available like a Honda or Yamaha MX bike with lights. I bought one of the last G450Xs at my local BMW shop - I didn't want the hassle of having to get a 450 plated, I wanted fuel injection and electric start. The downside is it has heavy maintenance requirements - we'll see how that goes...

Long road trip - a twin (or a triple, if you must) with decent wind protection. I have a F800GS that I will take on single track, though I haven't done so with the bike loaded. With a Giant Loop bag on the back I could easily take off for months going anywhere the road might lead. I always tell people - if I had to have only one bike, the F8GS is it.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
The KTM 525 exc is in the stable, we are shopping for the next bike and add ons to the KTM in the form of fuel tank, soft luggage, and GPS mounts (touratech lockable :) ). Equipment in the form of clothing (pants, jackets) and protection (helmets, gloves, boots).

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Heading to a Mandatory Moto class (required for motorcycle endorsement in FL) tomorrow morning, which brings me 1 step closer to my trip :). Dad has 1 collapsed disc and another on the way out, so this year may be the year for the trip, I don't now if we'll be able to complete a full cross continent ride but that is what I'm shooting for.

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz