Trans-America Trail

junglecaptn

I'm planning on doing the trail from TN to OK right after Easter. I have Sam's maps and tracks. Will be driving a Ram 1500 with GY DuraTrak tires. May complete the remainder late June or July as the CO passes won't be clear of snow till then. Would think your XJ would be more than adequate.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I'm planning on doing the trail from TN to OK right after Easter. I have Sam's maps and tracks. Will be driving a Ram 1500 with GY DuraTrak tires. May complete the remainder late June or July as the CO passes won't be clear of snow till then. Would think your XJ would be more than adequate.

The XJ will be great!

junglecaptn

Just completed the TAT from Andrews N.C. to western Arkansas in my stock Ram 1500. Not a problem in fact much of the trail has been paved in spots esp. in TN. There was one stream in TN that looked too high and wide from rains and I detoured 20 miles. There would have been issues with mud in some spots had it rained recently but I was lucky that the latest rain came a day after I went through MS. The mountain road from Andrews to Tellico Plains was not paved and it rained but road was a hard pack mostly smooth rock. I had to parallel part of the trail in eastern AR as they had flooding the night before. Got back on trail several miles farther west. Just prior to I-49 in western AR I lost the track and took another road to I-49 but doubt there would have been a problem. It was mostly dirt through the AR mountains with some paved. Paved past the TAT Shack and the Oark general store. i plan to pick up the trail later this summer from where I left off with either the truck or a WR250r.

dieselsdad

Since I live in Arkansas I have driven a lot of the TAT trails here and stayed in the TAT shack. For anyone planning on doing the trip through Arkansas you would be missing out on quite an experience if you don't stop at the Oark (NO, not Ozark, that's several miles away) General Store for a bacon cheeseburger. Built around 1890 the place is too cool, same with the Union Schoolhouse, lots of history around there.

Tswhit15

Here's my issue. I'm planning on starting the TAT in OK and going to OR. I like to study maps, it's a thing. If I buy Sam's work to pre plan I'd have to repurchase in another six months to get the updated maps? Gpskevin has a study guide on his website that breaks it down to sections, and many folks comment on each section so I can see the issues they have had recently in those places. Also, I can study his whenever I want and can plan my own excursions/side trips/detours around it. I have zero use for roll maps. GPS is the way to go.

junglecaptn

You might speak with Sam about your dilemma. He might have a solution. I did NC through middle of AR two years ago by truck. I didn't use roll charts, just Sam's GPS tracks. It worked fine. Plan to complete western AR into OK this fall after leaves are down.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Here's my issue. I'm planning on starting the TAT in OK and going to OR. I like to study maps, it's a thing. If I buy Sam's work to pre plan I'd have to repurchase in another six months to get the updated maps? Gpskevin has a study guide on his website that breaks it down to sections, and many folks comment on each section so I can see the issues they have had recently in those places. Also, I can study his whenever I want and can plan my own excursions/side trips/detours around it. I have zero use for roll maps. GPS is the way to go.

Kevin's is not the actual KAT, it's a loosely based version that wanders off of the actual KAT on many occasions. If you want to travel the actual KAT, use Sam's work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles