Trans-America Trail

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
I was told about this on another forum. I have looked into it and have done some research and contacted the founder of the trail. He said that about 95% can be done on a Jeep or like 4x4. The other 5% is sand in Utah and Nevada that is supposed to be impassible via a Jeep. My question is has anyone here ever drove the Trans-America Trail in 4x4 like a Jeep? If you have any tips, tricks, etc you can share?

I am planning to do this just as soon as I can gather the estimated amount of money I am figuring on that would be needed. This does include all mods, equipment etc one would need for an extended time in the field as I am starting from a basically stock Jeep Cherokee (XJ) and a stock Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ).

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have been thinking about doing it and I have been wondering the same thing. I can't see sand being much of an issue, does anyone have pics or the location of the 'problem' areas. I may be willing to go scout the Utah section and have a good friend in Nevada that may be able to check that area.....

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
The website for the trial is http://www.transamtrail.com.

you can buy the maps by state or as a whole package. it all comes out the same and you dont save either way unless you are not gonna do the whole trail start to finish. This is the best I can offer at this time. I am still working on the research and recon of the trail. The website does offer a lot of good info, but it is mostly for motorcycles, we in the 4x4 side would have to adapt it to our needs. Part of the trail does go through Colorado, so you may be in a good spot to recon that section too.

When I do pull the trigger on this, I am planning on my party being just the 2 jeeps, anyone else that wants to link up as I move through is more than happy to join up and come along for the adventure.

At the end in Oregon, I am planning on a detour south to Cali to hit up the Rubicon trial while I am out that way before heading home via the paved highway.

98roamer

Explorer
You might have already done this but search ADV forum; I've followed The Mobius report for months now. On that site there are many trip reports for the TAT and even on this forum, there're a few reports; one used a stock TJ do complete a large portion of it.

Plenty of info out there and here about the slick creek crossing to mud on the plains and rocks out west. Just remember time estimates maybe be slower in a cage rather than on a bike.
I'm sure many people here would like to do the TAT, myself included. Let's us know what you come up with.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
understood, I have time estimates from 255 miles per day to 100 miles per day. At the latter, with the rubicon trip and back home I am estimating it taking a total of 65 days from home to home.

I will have to look up that forum... have not come across it yet, thanks

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Is the only way to find out the locations is to buy the map? I would be interested in doing some of the Arkansas and Oklahoma but the price for maps seems expensive.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
unfortunately, it seems to be that way. I have looked up on the net to try and find start and end point as I am in upstate New York and have a bit of a drive to TN to start it. I have found several different town names to were it starts and none are close to one another. Based off the site and his description, it is in the southeastern part of the state, I have found a reference to a town in the northeastern corner as well as near north central.

I have an email to the guy asking about the start point so i can more accurately predict travel time and fuel from home to the trail head.

Those that have done the trail and already have a map are pretty hush hush about exact details other than providing general stories and pics

also, remember, once you buy the maps, you dont have to repurchase them again, so it is a one time investment and you can go back and do it as many times as you want.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The "trail" isn't really a trail - it's a route made up of existing roads & trails. As those roads close, get paved, the gates get locked, etc., the route changes.

The price you pay for the maps helps cover the cost of updating the maps - which typically means putting feet on the ground. Sam is (was?) continually working on updates. There is a ton of work that goes into updating each section.

Most of it could be done with a stock high clearance 4x4. Some of it involves single track - you just aren't getting a 4x4 through some of those areas (unless the route has been moved away from those). If you have the time, the maps, and the motivation, finding a route around those areas would not be extraordinarily difficult - but would consume some time.

The route takes you through some spectacular areas - definitely a great ride.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
The "trail" isn't really a trail - it's a route made up of existing roads & trails. As those roads close, get paved, the gates get locked, etc., the route changes.

The price you pay for the maps helps cover the cost of updating the maps - which typically means putting feet on the ground. Sam is (was?) continually working on updates. There is a ton of work that goes into updating each section.

Most of it could be done with a stock high clearance 4x4. Some of it involves single track - you just aren't getting a 4x4 through some of those areas (unless the route has been moved away from those). If you have the time, the maps, and the motivation, finding a route around those areas would not be extraordinarily difficult - but would consume some time.

The route takes you through some spectacular areas - definitely a great ride.

I am not trying to start an argument with you, but I have emailed Sam to ask about the single track myth, and he assured me that it was just that, a myth, there is no single track sections to the "trail." He did say that there was 5% of it that went through sand in Utah and Nevada that was not doable in a Jeep or simular 4x4.

It is my belief that that 5% can be done, you just have to go prepared for it.

I believe in the overkill method, take the worst possible conditions you think you may encounter, prepare for that, then if it happens, its not that big of a deal. better to have and not need than to need and not have.

ncflyer

The main reason for the "hush hush" is that Sam did all this on his own - initial routing and re-routing so more is on dirt vs paved. It's more out of respect for sam and his efforts that has allowed alot of folks to have a great xcountry trip. I have the set but haven't looked to in detail but I believe he's put in "big bike" detours that may be appropriate for those areas of sand mentioned. Just guessing since I've not done it...yet. You could ask in the motorcycle forums what those guys think about a 4wheeler getting around and what they'd recommend. The actual start point is Jellico Tennessee. NE corner just off I75 at the state line.

Good luck and watch for the 2 wheelers!

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I am really interested in this since some of the route is some what near to me...well, it is a whole lot closer then most . It kind of scares me that it is so "hush, hush" and the maps seem to high. Makes me sort of afraid it is a scam.......it isnt..is it?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I am not trying to start an argument with you, but I have emailed Sam to ask about the single track myth, and he assured me that it was just that, a myth, there is no single track sections to the "trail."

I guess that depends on how you want to define 'single track'.

In the context of a 4x4 on the TransAmerica trail - I'm referring to anything that has width restrictions that will prevent a narrow track CJ from getting through. In 2008, that existed. It's an ATV trail in Utah, with something to the effect of a 48" width restriction. It's certainly not a 12" wide path through the woods - but is may as well be if you're trying to get a 4x4 through there. Maybe Sam has routed the trail around that section - I haven't kept up with all the changes. Regardless - I still don't think it would be too much trouble to get around that section if you had a decent map & a bit of time. There were also some places in Oregon that would have turned a 4x4 around when a bike could continue - but that was due to downed trees (lots of down trees).

With regard to the sand - we didn't find anything that would stop a 4x4 in 2008. We took the 'big bike bypasses' (we were on a GS and a 950 Adventure), so maybe we missed it, but it's hard to imagine sand that would stop a 4x4 that wouldn't also stop a mid-sized dual sport that was set up for a cross-country trip (IE: DS tires, heavy load, etc). Or maybe my experience with sand is slightly skewed . . . the Jeep didn't really have trouble with it, but a loaded GS sinks pretty quick.

Scott Brady

Founder
I am not trying to start an argument with you, but I have emailed Sam to ask about the single track myth, and he assured me that it was just that, a myth, there is no single track sections to the "trail." He did say that there was 5% of it that went through sand in Utah and Nevada that was not doable in a Jeep or simular 4x4.

It is not a myth, as I have ridden the trail. There are entire segments that are on trails only open to motorcycles and quads (posted as such) in Utah and there are absolutely segments of single track in Nevada. It is a single track just wide enough for a moto going through the sagebrush.

However, this should not discourage you from trying, as it is a wonderful route. Easily 95% of the route can be driven in a 4wd.

We look forward to your updates.

haven

Expedition Leader
The current price for the TAT maps and handlebar navigation rolls is $372. That's supposed to be the cost to produce the maps.
The web site is http://www.transamtrail.com

I'm surprised that some business-savvy folks have not helped the people behind the TAT figure out some better way to monetize their investment. Selling maps seems like a 19th century approach. All it would take is one unscrupulous character (maybe a disgruntled customer) to post the map and the party will be over.

It seems to me that a better way would be to have a website open to everyone, with sponsors providing advertising dollars to support the activity of updating the route. Anyone have other ideas?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It is not a myth, as I have ridden the trail. There are entire segments that are on trails only open to motorcycles and quads (posted as such) in Utah and there are absolutely segments of single track in Nevada. It is a single track just wide enough for a moto going through the sagebrush.

You're right Scott - I remember following what looked like a cattle trail leading away from a fenced/gated corral/stock pond.

I was originally thinking of the ATV trail in Utah and that over grown remnant of a trail that led up to the 'peacock incident' - but I think the latter was actually two-track, it was just so over-grown that you couldn't see it. Of course, there was the single track in CO that Dennis took us on - but that was a bit of a side trip.

What a great trip that was.

drgnhrt1979 -- you should go for it. Just take more pictures than I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94