WTB fridge

jeepersjeep

He loves Jeep!
It's finally time to purchase a fridge! I'm wanting to build some storage in the back of my JK. Before I do, I need a fridge so I can build around it being there. Unfortunatly, I don't have enough cash to drop on a National Luna fridge (I'm on a Dave Ramsey budget) so I was wondering if any of you members have anything in the 600-700 dollar range, used of coarse, that may be laying around or maybe you have been wanting an upgrade and can sell me yours.
Anyhow~
Anyone have anything they will pass down?
I live in Oklahoma and can travel.

Thanks everyone!

jeepersjeep

He loves Jeep!
Why buy USED in that price range, when you can have a NEW Edgestar. Many have them, and love em! It's what I plan on getting

I'm worried about power consumption with the Edgestar. I only run one battery and, while all the reviews on the Edgestar seem good, the power consumption side does not. Not for me anyhow.
I was hoping to pickup a fridge with just a bit lower amp draw than the Edgestar. If I cannot, I'll just save a little longer. Camping season is coming around and I'm getting the "itch". I would like to have a fridge before I build my rear storage also and I would like to do all this before May (I'm a dreamer).
Just curious if anyone who currently owns an ARB, Engle, National Luna (yeah, I know I'm reaching here, lol) and was maybe wanting a different fridge, or an upgrade, would give me the chance to purchase it from them.
Thankyou for the option 4RunAmok. I'm sure it's a great fridge. It just uses a little too much power for me.
Again, Thank you.

lbrito

Broverland Expert
Amazon has the new model ARB for $785 shipped. I know that goes above your budget, but I have seen it at $749... which is closer to your $700 cap for a new fridge with great power draw and warranty. http://www.amazon.com/ARB-10800472-...INDM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1331322207&sr=8-4

I guess, what we are trying to say is, you should pay less for a used fridge!

On a side note, let us know when you start the build on your JK, I'd personally like to check out what you end up doing being a fellow JK'er.

jeepersjeep

He loves Jeep!
I guess, what we are trying to say is, you should pay less for a used fridge!

On a side note, let us know when you start the build on your JK, I'd personally like to check out what you end up doing being a fellow JK'er.

Yes, I understand. Just though maybe someone would want a newer model and make me a good deal on what they currently have. I've been looking a the ARB on Amazon and was thinking about going that way, but thought I'd try here first.
I built my 2dr Rubi for mild rock climbing and have really enjoyed it! Lately I've been getting into the Expo stuff however. I have a stock 4dr JK that I'm going to start converting soon. The 4dr we use for trips with the whloe family (1yo and medium sized dog). The ice chest thing really bothers me when stuff gets waterlogged and variations on temp seem to ruin friut and meats quick. So this is where I'm wanting to begin, with a fridge!

And if you don't mind the older ARB: http://autoplicity.com/products/784...tent=784864NOFITMENT&utm_campaign=GSNOFITMENT , this one is around $710 shipped, new.

This older model would be great! I'm going to research it a bit and may start with this one. I just might make a purchase this weekend!
Thanks a bunch!

My offer is still on the table if anyone is interested.

Naptown

Observer
Can it be an upright? I have a Vitrifrigo upright that I'm looking to part with
iphone141.jpg

4RunAmok

Explorer
Hmm, I thought the Edgestar was on par with the others with regards to power draw. They use the same Danfoss compressor I believe.

lbrito

Broverland Expert
This older model would be great! I'm going to research it a bit and may start with this one. I just might make a purchase this weekend!
Thanks a bunch!

My offer is still on the table if anyone is interested.

If I recall correctly, the older model ARB is the same as the Engle 45, and they are both Norcold's. The older model does not have the low battery cut-off as the new one does.

Your situation sounds similar to mine. 11mo old little one and a 70lb lab, JK, m416. I just got a fridge myself because, well, convenience, and $5 a bag of ice, more in remote towns, adds up... and didn't want to take any risks with water, food, and unstable temperatures with a now table food eating little one.

Hope someone has a good deal here for you!

frederid

Observer
Hmm, I thought the Edgestar was on par with the others with regards to power draw. They use the same Danfoss compressor I believe.

I have an Edgestar and I've run it for a couple of days in the middle of the summer at a temperature of 34*F without issue. I believe on paper the power draw is somewhere around 4.5 Amps, but I believe that is worst-case. I'm not sure what the specs are on the Engel/Arb or any others, but I do know you can run an Edgestar in high heat off a stock 2010 4Runner battery for at least 40 hours and still have no issue starting the truck.

jeepersjeep

He loves Jeep!
I thought this was a good statement.

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
We started getting a lot of inquires from Chinese manufacturers of compressor fridges starting about 2 years ago. They wanted to know if we would distribute their product in North America.

They all look quite comparable with the Engels and WAECO's (of course there is the unknown reliability and warranty issues) until it comes to power consumption.

Engles pull 0.7 - 2.5 amp WAECO's pull 3.75 amp (average) depending on the fridge settings and outside temperature. See http://www.adventuretrailers.com/fridges.html

The Edgestar pulls 4.5 amps on 12 volt. In amps it all seems very close because the numbers are small, but if you convert them to watts (a more familiar measurement, same as your light bulbs) then the power drawn now seems to be more drastic:
Engle 8.4 - 30 watts
Waeco 45 watt average
Edgestar 54 watts.

It's always power consumption people are concerned about.

It is the power consumption I'm concerned about.
[/FONT]

RHINO

Expedition Leader
yup power consumption is my concern also. i have an edgestar and it has been a great working unit, however it is power hungry. for campers that typically do one or two days then move on to the next spot or back home its a great unit. i stay out for several days or a week between moves so i will be replacing it with something a little more miserly in the future.

Heavyopp

Observer
Still Looking?? I've got an extra ARB that I'll sell for $650 OBO plus shipping. It's barely used and works perfectly.
I do have the original boxes - The ARB box and also the outside shipping box and all packing material.

It's the 50 quart Model # 10800472. I don't have any pictures of it right now but you should know what it looks like.

In New condition but it is used.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles