2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Camping Machine

03DubyaJay

You call, I haul.
no, they're jcr. my friend makes them with the tubing angles up to protect the sides more...might have him make me some though

03DubyaJay

You call, I haul.
little progress from last time. don't know if i posted, but i picked up an open carrier d44a from a friend a couple weeks ago. it's been sitting in our shop waiting for a locker and truss. well, i finally ordered an aussie locker, new spartan hardened-steel crosspin, clayton 4-link truss for said axle, and picked up a spare set of shafts on jeepforum for cheap. the next week or so should be very interesting..... :)

03DubyaJay

You call, I haul.
a lot has been done since last update. finished the rear axle swap, got 35" tires, did a LOt of trimming so as to stay semi-LCOGish, and as of this weekend, flooded her and ripped out the carpet. will be monstalining "predator" color within the next few weeks when the opportunity presents itself. going to need a full day so i can wire wheel the floor and lay a couple coats of the good stuff down.

our jeep club got to be on tv for the 4wheel parts offroad/truck show which was cool. they referred to mine as a soccer-mom jeep on the air so that's the new nickname around town; i run into a lot of random people who saw the segment that morning that recognize the dub. it's rainy season down here now; camped and had a night ride with 21 jeeps during the first tropical storm of the season, talk about good times! but since everything's wet now, there's a LOT of water on the trails. no, i haven't hydro-locked her yet. yes i plan on a snorkel soon; a river raider mushroom type to be exact. i'm careful to keep my intake side up when i hit the liquid :)

what else, what else.... in the process of putting together a 242J transfer case so i can get rid of the vari-lok front and go with a locker. that's up in the air though bc ideally i want a JK44 to swap into the rear, and don't want to put all kinds of money into this front end, but i feel like i may need to upgrade a little now that i'm running 35's on a d30. ruff stuff 1-ton over-the-knuckle steering in the works now; got all my nutserts and such in, waiting on the tie rod and ends at the moment, and will order the iron rock offroad subframe bracket in the next few weeks. looking into tube bumpers at the moment, that's the next big move. i attached a pic of the rear that i want to get made. it will be basically the same, but i want to get a brawler cradle-type spare tire carrier made to go with it.

Jeeptoberfest the weekend before halloween in ocala, huge event with the courses laid out in the terrain bc the host club owns the land. stock course is over a mile long! but anyway, looking at some sort of strengthening agent for the front. maybe iro u-joint conversion shafts (d44 shaft fitted to d30) and c-gussets bc that's all i would need to hold me over until i can find a 44. anwyay, anyone need anything, let me know. thanks.

Attachments

• finished rear.jpg
    finished rear.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 15
  • boing.jpg
    boing.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 14
  • ew.jpg
    ew.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 13
  • wave.jpg
    wave.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 4th of july.jpg
    4th of july.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 12
  • evap.jpg
    evap.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 13
  • karl and i.jpg
    karl and i.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 12
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 13
  • stuff.jpg
    stuff.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 12
  • tv.jpg
    tv.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 10

03DubyaJay

You call, I haul.
and some more...

Attachments

• group tv.jpg
    group tv.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 11
  • karl and i 2.jpg
    karl and i 2.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 11
  • twist.jpg
    twist.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 12
  • water.jpg
    water.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 12

Diesel YJ

Observer
Nice WJ, I have a 2000 with a 4'' RC lift. I just ran across IRO website last week and ordered the steering brace to try and add a little stability to mine. I wheeled it more when it was stock and being in the Army its been on nearly every tank trail I have run across. I towed way more then I should with it and have since gotten a super duty but its still used for camping, DD, trail riding, ect. How stable is your rig with that suspension setup?

mtnhigh

that's a nice WJ! I love the tire carrier solution, and i'd need a couple of beers before cutting the sheet metal too! I really like the tank tuck too!

Pilotblake

How does it go down the road, and at highway speed? My WJ is sitting on a 4.5 RC short arm lift and I really dont like how it feels at speed. I have the steering geometry as close as possible and have the KOR superdurameter bushings in the trackbar. It just doesnt seem as stable as my MJ with 7+ inches of lift, worn out eveything imaginable and worn out tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior