Turbo Tent

virgo1066

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Turbo Models? I can't find much about them, other than prices. I'm wondering on replacement parts, customer service, etc.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Roseann and I have been using one for several years. I'm very happy with the quality. In fact the only thing I really hated about it was the ridiculously undersized storage bag. I finally co-opted another bag for the fly, which helped.

We have the ten-foot-square model, which is generous for two people.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Best thing is get to just this camping forum then go to the search function for this forum only and type in turbo :)

Will bring back good info the main search brings back to much :)
a few to get you going :)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/60090-Tell-me-about-Turbo-Tents-Please?highlight=turbo
go through all of this thread
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/47137-Post-your-tents/page5?highlight=turbo

We decided to sell our trailer and go back to tents I looked at many including the turbo tent the jet tent and springbar/kodiak also campmor and howling moon the last two are dome style the oztent are not big enough for family of 4 and a dog wanting to use cots :) if they made a larger oztent ? that would be cool
Having a tough time deciding :)

I like the rep and size shape etc.. Of the springbar style but dont like the having to have it stakef to setup ? also the canvas ? I still prefer polycotton ripstop style like the jet tent and the campmor and howling moon

the turbo canvas looks really cool also a nice extension for it and seems like a really nice setup
the jet tent like the F30x for size and material both of these I like the idea of quick pitch but also not sure about hub tents ? for the long run ? part of me does not want to pay $1300 for a jet tent but $600 or so for a turbo seems OK

the campmor and howling moon are both the tops IMHO for long term proven design proven background for a long time and both have killer extensions although they are heavy ?

from all my research here and other places the turbos seems to be a nice tent of course a direct copy of the blackwolf oz tents ! which I really wish were up here not sure if the two companies are connected ? but I hear amazing things on the OZ forums about blackwolf http://www.blackwolf.com.au/

overal feedback on turbo seems to be posotive with a few not so keen on the hub tents ?

for me canvas only :) the upsides of modern canvas for my needs beat a nylon anyday except for pack size and weight :)
I spent over 3 years living out of nylon tents with the longest stint 6 months straight in a two man by myself and after using more modern style canvas WOW so much nicer warmer when they need to be cooler when they need to be sleeping in sometimes is nice etc...

hope this helps ya out I know its more than you asked for but we are pulling the trigger on a new tent this week ! and have been thinking and stiring over them all with the canvas turbo on our short list !

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Not certain, but I believe Black Wolf is simply selling Turbo Tents, not the other way around.

The Campmor and Howling Moon dome tents with those massive steel spring frames are really stout, if a bit more trouble to pitch than a Turbo Tent.

Honu

lost on the mainland
ahh interesting about the other way around :) thanks :) again I have no clue did not want to say one way or the other I know turbo are also in South Africa so makes sense then that black wolf could be the oz version I do know the OZ folks like the black wolf cause its a OZ company ? would be nice to have them up here though they have some nice canvas layouts ;)

yeah the Campmor and Howling moon are more work

Jonathon do you have the canvas turbo or the nylon ones ?
I remember seeing some pics on here of one setup one of the red ones and a little girl in front of the tent ? with my kids being 3 and 7 always notice the kids :) having fun camping

dirty Bakers

Conservative
ahh interesting about the other way around :) thanks :) again I have no clue did not want to say one way or the other I know turbo are also in South Africa so makes sense then that black wolf could be the oz version I do know the OZ folks like the black wolf cause its a OZ company ? would be nice to have them up here though they have some nice canvas layouts ;)

yeah the Campmor and Howling moon are more work

Jonathon do you have the canvas turbo or the nylon ones ?
I remember seeing some pics on here of one setup one of the red ones and a little girl in front of the tent ? with my kids being 3 and 7 always notice the kids :) having fun camping[/QUOTe
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/55880-Tent-search?p=814812&highlight=#post814812 that was ours, both the tent and the girl.

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
We have only had our Turbo Tent a few months but we love it. We just got the Deluxe Fly (or Super Fly on BlackWolf's site) and can't wait to try it out. The BlackWolf, Desert Wolf, & Black Pine Turbo Tents are the same just different colors. Our tent which is the Pine Deluxe 6 even has a tag that says Turbo 300 like a BlackWolf. The quality of the ripstop poly nylon/cotton canvas & hardware is top notch as you can see in the below picture.

d5dbb470.jpg

Here's a pic of it setup in front of the house with the Super Fly:

24e149d9.jpg

And with the walls on the Super Fly (We marked the tarp to fold it smaller than the tent if we decide to use it):

8963d6af.jpg

The only downside is the pack size of everything especially when you add the Super Fly but at least it still fits inside the boot of most SUV's.

Salue

Adventurer
I just purchased a Black Pine Turbo Tent Freestander 6 aka Black Wolf Turbo Lite FS 300(labeled on the box) from a Costco here in WA. I guess this is their last weekend in WA but the rep said they are going to be in UT Costco's next. I really like the concept but am not sold on the size when it's packed down. I'm going on a camping/clamming trip next weekend on the WA coast and will test it out with 5 full grown guys and decide if I want to keep it after that.

Salue

Honu

lost on the mainland

Was that the largest model they had at the roadshow ?
Or do you know if they had the canvas one at the roadshow ?

Salue

Adventurer
They had the canvas 4 person but were sold out of the 6 person. If you wanted, they could order the 6 person canvas for you and I think it was a couple of weeks lead time. I'm not 100% sure but I think the canvas models were the Pine Deluxe...I think.

Salue

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah they are called the pine deluxe :)

considering yours was about $100 cheaper it seems than the cheapest mail order place !!! that is a killer deal
my buddy in Nevada bought a bunch of bags from him for his family at about half of cheapest mail order price last year and is happy with them

kmandu

Nylon vs Canvas... need input!

Hi,

I've been reading through the discussion of Turbo tents and need some clerification. I'm trying to decide between a Jet tent and Turbo. Since I'm no longer doing wilderness camping and weight isn't a problem, I'd love to get a canvas tent. It seems to be a consensus here that the Turbo tent is equally as good as the Jet tent but a more reasonable price. My question is... can you get the Turbo tent in canvas? Here is the description of the Turbo tent and it seems to be polyester rather than canvas...

Black Pine turbo: "Fabric: 150D Ripstop Polyester PU 2000mm"
Jet Tent: "100% Waterproof Guaranteed Rip-Stop Poly-Cotton Canvas"

is this the same material?

When people are talking about the Turbo tent are they talking about the Black Pine or Black wolf?

Yikes I'm confused :)

Thanks in advance!
Vikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior