100,000 miles and beyond recommended service and part replacement?

Explorer
I just rolled 100,000 on my 01 tacoma, and I'm planning a major overhaul to insure I can get another trouble free 100k.

Beyond the basic listed service items (fluids, filter, plugs etc.), I'm wondering what else I should do - the truck is only used for remote trips, so failures that can leave me stranded are what I want to avoid.

I haven't had any failures besides a dome light and running light burning out - I know the engine is probably good for another 100k, but I'm concerned about all the other parts that might go out unexpectedly - If you've had a part fail before 200k let me know!

I'm looking for advice and additions to this plan:

Replace brakes (upgrade to tundra size)

Adjust valves (its the mighty 2.7 - no belt, all chain)

Replace upper and lower hoses and coolant (keep old hoses for spares)

Replace lower ball joints (uppers are aftermarket) better to replace or buy loaded arms?

Replace fuel filter (keep old as spare)

Replace CV axles and boots (keep one as a spare)

Repack front wheel bearings? replace?

Replace belts (keep old ones as spares)

Replace idler pulley (keep old as spare)

Replace 02 sensor (keep old as spare)

Replace CAT? (more of a performance thing, i could cut it off if it plugged)

Replace water pump? (could then have the old one for a spare)

Replace Alternator? (could then have the old one for a spare)

Replace Starter? (could then have the old one for a spare)

Replace Steering rack?

I put a question mark to many of these items because I'm not sure if they are prone to failure or not. If you have any insight speak up :)

Explorer
I regularly clean the maf, occasionally the throttle body, but never the IAC - thanks!

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
All of it is up to you, but I wouldn't even be considering valve adjustment. I've got a customer with 600k on their 05 taco with no adjustment. I've never had to adjust one, including a couple besides the one mentioned with 500+ k miles.

The wheel bearings are a yes, cv's would be nice to have spares.

The water pump would be an ok idea, as would the alternator.

Belt if it hasn't been replaced, yes.

Hoses, not so sure. Thats another slow mover. I can't remember the last time I had one needing replacement.

Same goes for fuel filter.

I have replaced some starters, but not like it's an everyday occasion.

My experiences are based on working at a small toyota dealer servicing Approx 1000 cars/month.

Explorer
All of it is up to you, but I wouldn't even be considering valve adjustment. I've got a customer with 600k on their 05 taco with no adjustment. I've never had to adjust one, including a couple besides the one mentioned with 500+ k miles.

The wheel bearings are a yes, cv's would be nice to have spares.

The water pump would be an ok idea, as would the alternator.

Belt if it hasn't been replaced, yes.

Hoses, not so sure. Thats another slow mover. I can't remember the last time I had one needing replacement.

Same goes for fuel filter.

I have replaced some starters, but not like it's an everyday occasion.

My experiences are based on working at a small toyota dealer servicing Approx 1000 cars/month.

Excellent advice, thank you!

oddball

2005+ 2.7 Tacomas dont need valves adjusted, the op has a 2001 which does have a service interval for valve adjustment. On my 2003 2.7 with 100k, all but two valves were tight and one exhaust valve needed replacement. I highly recommend getting the valves checked at least.

On my 2000 3.4 V6 with 285,000 miles I have never replaced the alternator, rebuilt the starter (new contacts) their is a video on You Tube. Only needed to replace the right wheel bearings but will be replacing the left soon. I would only replace the CV's if the boot is torn or making noise. Basics is all you need hoses, belts, ALL fluids including power streering and brakes. I would replace the water pump for sure as well. Yes I drive my truck to remote areas as well.

stevek

Observer
In reagards to the alternator and stater I would leave them as is for now and just throw some new brushes (for the alt) and plunger/contact kit (for the stater) in your trail spare kit. Gives you the max life out of your current components and keeps you armed for the most likely part of each to fail.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
2005+ 2.7 Tacomas dont need valves adjusted, the op has a 2001 which does have a service interval for valve adjustment. On my 2003 2.7 with 100k, all but two valves were tight and one exhaust valve needed replacement. I highly recommend getting the valves checked at least.

The 3RZ is different than the 2TR. I used the 600k 05 Tacoma as an example. As far as I know the 3RZ does not have a specific interval for adjustment(i've been wrong before). All the owner's manuals from toyota are generic and suggested a check "Engine valve clearance" at 120k/96 months. It did not specify which motor, or vehicle other than truck/suv. I still, have never had to adjust the valves on a 3RZ. I have on customer with a 97' w/over 530k and has never had to have an adjustment, and another with a 00' with just over 505k and never had a valve adjustment on either. YMMV

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior