Is a Rover for me?

dcarr1971

Adventurer
Like the others here have said, get it looked over but an independent Rover mechanic. I own both a D1 and a D2. Despite similar looks, they're truly different animals and both are great vehicles in their own right. My D2 was my first Rover, and it's the one that I've off-road-ed the most. It is solid, roomy, comfortable, and will go just about anywhere most people would want to take it. That extra 7" of length can occasionally get in the way though...

My D1 is a 5-spd, has a cheap aftermarket Thrush muffler in place of the stock exhaust, so it sounds great, and IMO it's just plain fun to drive all the time... The D1 is simpler (even though it's a '96), feels more agile, and has been very reliable. That said, it's not anywhere near as comfortable as the D2, and if you need to haul stuff (i.e.- kids and a 95lb German Shepherd) on long trips to go 4-wheeling, then you might be better off with a D2.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
FWIW....for ~$4K you can find an 90's RRC or a 60's Series needing TLC and JB weld. Both will have issues, both have cache, both will work well for your needs, but the RRC will do it a bit quicker. Unless you get a rare Series w/ V8 they all seem woefully slow. My Diesel SIII sports 68 crank HP :Wow1: You will have better luck with a RTT for a RRC too, if that is in your cards. One can be put on a Series, but rack options are very limited. I know almost nothing of Discos other than every 3rd soccer mom in my town drives one.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, you have to like to wrench to own a British car. If you don't, look around for Land Cruiser 80s, they can be had for ~$4K too

PhyrraM

Adventurer
I had ruled out leaf spring rigs. All of the ones from my experiences (admittedly not Rovers) don't flex nearly as well as a comparable coil spring truck. Are Series Rovers the exception?

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I had ruled out leaf spring rigs. All of the ones from my experiences (admittedly not Rovers) don't flex nearly as well as a comparable coil spring truck. Are Series Rovers the exception?

For your budget, that is the least of your concerns. There are replacement springs and thing you can do to OEM springs that will change the spring feel/flex. But that is a different thread

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Death of the Montero. It could have been repaired, but for the price of these things these days it hardly seemed worth it. My brother is putting the motor and locking rear axle to goo use in an earlier SWB Dodge Raider.

After a ton of reading forums, browsing classifieds, and a bit of soul searching I found it's replacement.

It's 2006 V8 HSE. It is pretty much loaded including the HD package with the rear locker. Verified by checking for the full size spare, physically seeing what is almost certainly the servo-motor and electrical connector on the rear diff, and even running it up a steep low-traction hill and verifing the "lock" icon on the screen locks. It also has Navigation and cold weather package, as the boys are really pumped about the rear seat heaters. The only notable things missing are the rear seat entertainment DVD player and the Sirius radio. Not too worried about those. Just under 70,000 miles.

I appreciate all the info I've come across on the forum in the last few months. Thanks!

ajctraveler

Observer
Very cool replacement, but I think that the first picture requires a little bit of explanation.. I know the Montero is capable, but that's like an 87 degree decline..

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Very cool replacement, but I think that the first picture requires a little bit of explanation.. I know the Montero is capable, but that's like an 87 degree decline..

Ah, what you can't see in the picture is the other side of the *ridge* it came off of. My buddy gave me an impromptu challange to "Climb that hill", which the Monty did without issue. My failing was that I didn't scout the top, I just assumed it was a plateau. Up and over I went. I actually feel very blessed it was only what you see....I had my two boys and the "challangers" two boys in the Monty when it went over. Luckily only a bit of seatbelt rash and shaken nerves.

spikemd

Explorer
Wow, that is quite an incline. I don't think the LR3 would make that one though.

Awesome replacement. You will be very happy with it. Good thing you held out for the rear locker for serious offroading.

Welcome to the sickness...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles