Motorcycle hitch carrier recommendations...

I have a set of magnetic tow lights that I stick on my carrier since the bike effectively blocks the truck's tail lights too.

Oh heck, I honestly didn't even think about that. That's great info, just the type of "unforseen issue" I was hoping to learn about in advance.

I ordered one off ebay since I want it for a trip soon. My largest worry is if I have to remove it from the hitch altogether to even swing out the tire/fuel can carrier and access the back... But the only way to know is to mount it up and see waht works and what doesn't.

I'm adding magnetic brake lamps to my "buy" list now. :)

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Obviously they reduce your departure angle but the biggest issue for me is that I can't access the back of my truck with the bike on the back. Windoors would be extremely helpful here. On the Tacoma, my DRZ sticks out slightly on either side making it wider than the truck, no big deal, you just have to be aware of it. I have a set of magnetic tow lights that I stick on my carrier since the bike effectively blocks the truck's tail lights too.

This is probably the biggest negative as I don't have side access to my camper shell...
The rear door on the shell will only lift about 6 inches as it hits the handlebars...
A big bike also shields a lot of the taillights...I will probably try out the magnetic ones also

robert

Expedition Leader
You could easily mount some tail lights, I just happened to have a set of trailer lights that I'd mounted magnets on for when I towed some VW buses. The Uhaul car haulers have lights, but an extra set always helps with all the idiots on the road.

Unless your hauler sticks out pretty far you aren't going to be able to open the tailgate or even the rear window more than a crack; the handlebars will limit rear window travel

robert

Expedition Leader
Yeah I've been trying to get some Windoors for my shell but ARE wants like $400/each. I'd pay that for two but that's ridiculous for one.

Rattlesnake Joe

The side opening windows are wonderful, especially for a 68 year old gizzer like me. You can use the window knobs as lash points to secure things on top. Only draw back is they are expensive...but worth it. I have the Snug Top camper shell and love it.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
What do you guys think of the Harbor Freight one? Before any prejudging, it is spoken pretty highly of on thumper talk and a number of other reviews think the design rocks. I'll be putting it on a Jeep JK.

What do you guys think of the Harbor Freight one? Before any prejudging, it is spoken pretty highly of on thumper talk and a number of other reviews think the design rocks. I'll be putting it on a Jeep JK.

I had the one from Harbor Freight but returned it. Pro's were that it is light, but it was hard to unload bike off by yourself, I ended up with a versahaul style design.

d90anddrz800p.jpg

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Well I ended up getting the HF one and have been pretty happy with it. I have probably close to 1k miles with it and for the purpose (as it relates to cost), it's just fine. I ended up getting it for $80 and then I spent another $40 on the LED lights, so not too bad. I totally understand what you are saying with loading as I end up pretty much manhandling the bike to get it off. But it's a dirt bike so I don't really care, and it is very stable on there (went up and over Sonora Pass last weekend with it) and even when driving like an idiot, no worries. Don't mind the lean to the driver's side; that is b/c I am using the Jeep's tow hook as an anchor for one of the bar straps.

The only other issue I've noted is that on the Jeep I have to remove the right foot peg. Otherwise it will mar the spare wheel. DAMHIK... :(

DSC0859-L.jpg

DSC0860-L.jpg

DSC0861-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94